Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
1,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Manchester United boss Sir Alex Ferguson has revealed Cristiano Ronaldo almost joined Arsenal, before the Portugal winger decided to move to Old Trafford.
Fergie said: “Arsene Wenger must have been close, he had him over at Highbury about 25 times!â€
Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger admits he still rues missing out on Cristiano Ronaldo.
Wenger admitted: “If I was to have a player from Manchester United it would be Ronaldo — because we were so close to getting him.
“We were a just few hundred-thousand pounds away. I was very close.â€
The Portuguese joined Manchester United for £12.24million in 2003.
Ronaldo became the first winger ever to win the European Golden Shoe, in the 2007-2008 season

Cheers to Ronaldo.

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Yeah thank god he is stingy! If he paid few hundred thousand more he would be theirs and not ours...but yeah thank god and for arsene's stingyness lol

·
Registered
523 Posts
yes just heard that on television...a journalist asked Arsene who is currently the top player in the world and he replied ronaldo and said that he almost joined arsenal but didn't because of a question of money...

·
Banned
9,511 Posts
“If I was to have a player from Manchester United it would be Ronaldo — because we were so close to getting him. "

If any club could chose any United player, most clubs would go fro Ron.

·
All round nice guy
3,887 Posts
You know whats even better?

I read on the BBC a while ago before Arsenal came along, Liverpool were scouting him and Gerard Houllier wanted him when he was a 16 year old, but the scouts recommended not to as he was too young, too small, too weak, and needed time to develop more. this is fact aswell, as it was on bbc and wikipedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cristiano_Ronaldo

He was first spotted by then-Liverpool F.C. manager Gérard Houllier at sixteen, but Liverpool declined to take him on because they decided he was too young and needed some time to develop his skills.

·
Banned
15,336 Posts
As if this was anything new :rolleyes:

But seriously though, maybe thats why Wenger decided to spend £7m, which could rise to £12m for Walcott so that he didn't miss out on him as well.

Maybe not, but just a thought.

·
There's Only One Darren Fletcher!
11,978 Posts
Lawbreaker1944 said:
Very interesting.

Wasn't Ronaldinho the same case several years ago? (United-Barcelona before; Arsenal-United now). If you know, what I mean.

Yeah though a lot of it was due to the fact that Peter Kenyon left United for Chelski and the deal fell through

1 - 12 of 12 Posts