Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know it was against derby, but ronaldo's movement was great today, also have to give the player marking ronaldo an applause because he did really well with ronaldo.

I know a lot of people are probably think it doesn't matter because he can play anywhere and scores goals make assists. But Ronlado and giggs did ripp apart derby wen they both played upfront with there one twos. It reminded me a bit like the cole and yorke days.

But do you think we should play Ronaldo upfront more?.

Fergy was questioned about this and it didn't sound convincing for me wen he said he prefers ronaldo out wide, i think it was cause he would have more problems picking the team if ronny was made to play upfront.

·
Banned
15,336 Posts
No.

I prefer Ronaldo out wide. When he plays outwide, he moves around freely anyway, so playing him outwide gives us the best of both Worlds. We can do it the odd game if we have injuries, suspensions or resting players, but that should be it. When we feel we don't have to, then don't.

Also, we're having trouble getting Berbatov, Rooney and Tevez games up front without changing Ronaldo to a striker.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
wadadlired said:
I agree with Sir Alex, Ronaldo is better wide.
i dont no, i think hes better out wide, but wen fergy said it, he didnt seem convincng, i just felt if fergy would prefer ronaldo upfront but we dont have a wide player like ronny and yes we have the rooney tevez and berba who will play up front. Or was it something between gaybrial and fergy because it looked like fergy was trying to get one ove the interviewer about something

·
There's Only One Darren Fletcher!
11,978 Posts
Ronaldo is primarily employed in the team as a wide player, and I think thats where he plays best

·
Pz
2,062 Posts
he can play either position but i think he is at his best when he starts out wide and drifts and makes continious runs out of position and gets back to his winger position from time to time. Like the position he played last season or the season before.

This season he has been very rigid/disciplined on the wing but i dont think you get the best out of him like that. He needs to be freed and let him shine because he is easily our best player! Need him to shine against inter and co coming up!

pz!

·
Registered
104 Posts
Ideally I'd put Ronaldo on the right and Nani on the left. He can play up front, but to be honest he can play just about anywhere, it's a matter of where we get the best out of him, and that's on the wing.

·
Registered
2,610 Posts
Yeh Ronaldo's so hot....

..wait what?

Nah seriously I think he plays better outwide. He would have torn derby a new one no matter what today.

·
The Mexican Boy George
7,601 Posts
the only way ronaldo would ever be able to play upfront would be with a 433, or just a ludicrous 343, which frankly I dont think we have the muscle in midfield to give either one of those a try.

·
www.InTheFreeRole.com
5,268 Posts
I think he could be near enough the perfect goal scoring striker. He has the pace, the movement, the skill, the finish, great in the air, great touch, great positional sense in the box. However, the standard of our other wingers is not good enough to take Ronaldo off the wing where he can really affect the game, when we have other great strikers anyway.

I definitely think we could use Ronaldo upfront again though, paticularly in games where we just can't break them down and need a quick 'get in behind' type of striker.

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
trikam patel said:
I know it was against derby, but ronaldo's movement was great today, also have to give the player marking ronaldo an applause because he did really well with ronaldo.

I know a lot of people are probably think it doesn't matter because he can play anywhere and scores goals make assists. But Ronlado and giggs did ripp apart derby wen they both played upfront with there one twos. It reminded me a bit like the cole and yorke days.

But do you think we should play Ronaldo upfront more?.

Maybe we should, but I doubt it will happen, for now at least.
Ronaldo can play anywhere as we know cos he has the skills, power and pace,
but as 004 mentioned we have/had trouble giving Tevez games when Berba
and Rooney have been fit and playing. It just goes to show how great
and versatile our squad is.

but Trikam, you do make a valid argument and comparison with Yorke/Cole was spot on,
but its never really going to happen again. Its a great option to have, but one
Fergie wont be deploying in major games any time soon.

·
MUT all-time great
21,962 Posts
I'd just prefer to let him run around wherever he wants, he knows what he's doing. When he doesn't have an actual set position, then he's free to pop up anywhere to bag a goal or two.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
ronaldo is our only consistent performing proven winger. the wings have always been a major part pf our football. if ronaldo plays strike we'll have nani, toscic, giigs, park to play in the wing. all of these players have lost or lack somethig. park lacks that bit of skill that all wingers, nani's inconsistent and giggs is at the end of his carreer and toscic is unproven. and also are strike deprtment is already floode. so imo we should leave ronaldo as a winger

·
Registered
9,457 Posts
I already consider him a forward even when he plays out wide. He is definitely better out there though.

Technically the amount of goals he scores plus his tendency to drift in makes him a forward, same as Robinho.

Look at what happen whenever Hughes plays Robinho up front. Although that might just be because City are utter *****. :D

·
Smeghead Moderator
13,664 Posts
Considering the talent we have at our disposal i.e. Rooney, Tevez and Berbatov it would make no sense to drop 2 of them and play Ronaldo up front, especially when Ronaldo has proved he can be so devastatingly effective from the wing.

·
Registered
629 Posts
He plays better as a wide player. He puts in crosses and also drifts in so it gives us good options in scoring goals and contributing too. But I've seen he is a bit restricted this season unlike last year when he used to roam around anywhere on the pitch and score goals. It's maybe because we now have Berbatov upfront or Fergie just wants him to play more as a winger.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts