Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We all know it WASNT a penalty against Bolton but we were due one to be fair
and I for one was not complaining and glad to go 1 up.

Ive been reading comments that Ronaldo dived to win it :confused:
The tackle came in and he fell over as most players would.
He didnt go screaming looking for a penalty or waving his arms around
so why do people think he is a dirty, cheating, diving bastad?
Is it his rep that is preceding him?

Anyway, what do you the members think?
Dive or no dive?

·
MUT all-time great
21,962 Posts
How can anyone say Ronaldo dove? The guy one the ball fair and square, but his momentum caused him to go through Ronny, which is why he fell. He didn't fall on his own accord. Its not Ronaldo's fault that the ref wasn't in the proper position to make that call. Why do you think Ronaldo didn't celebrate?

·
I'm so gorgeous they want to arrest me
8,772 Posts
My dad said he heard on the radio that he dived. In my mind no way did he dive. He didnt appeal or nothing. He just got up. What do people expect him to do when he gets slide tackled. He is probably going to fall over as most people would. Just because its Ronaldo they say he dived

·
Banned
15,336 Posts
Tbh, the only reason their saying is a dive is because its Cristiano Ronaldo. And perhaps Man Utd, but mostly because its Ronaldo.

It wasn't a penalty no, but it wasn't a dive. Samuel won the ball but also caught Ronaldo, and it was the contact that made him go down.

I wouldn't worry about what anyone else says in all honesty.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I't wasn't a penalty defintly, but he didn't dive. When someone slides me during the game they usually catch my foot after getting a touch on the ball so I will fall, I don't do it intentionally but these things happened, I belive it's Ronaldo's rep that is causing all this diving discussion.

·
Registered
846 Posts
No way did he dive, any player would have gone to the ground. We all know it wasnt a penalty, and he wasnt looking for one. its so unfair on him :(

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
I dont think he dived. But this is the price every player with a rep of taking a dive will have to pay.

The ref were generous and he scored from the spot. Next time we might get unlucky and not getting the penalty kick when we deserve one. Thats football.

·
23,699 Posts
In the Bolton game, he did 'win' us a penalty, though not intentionally, that gave us the lead. But credit to him on this count because he did not even attempt to appeal for one. Then again, neither did any other United player for that matter. It came as such a shock that we can only conclude it was a gift from above.

However, sad to say, if I would be perfectly honest, I still feel he is too eager to go down as a whole to win free kicks. I really wish he would prefer not to because by his skills, pace and strength (he is 185 cm actually, not the typical smaller but nippy winger like SWP or Joe Cole), he does not need to do that and may actually get into a better position if he attempts to stay on his feet instead of thinking about a free kick which I often suspect.

Of course he could have gained even more respect from players and would not have the problem of his reputation preceding him that generally penalises more than rewards. The fact that a referee has to (subconciously only) ponder for an extra split second if it is 'indeed happening yet again' whenever he is impeded is already a disadvantage, especially in tight games when a decision by referees can be most crucial.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
i think its 50 - 50..
he was running to the center and
( i know ) scoring and he was
obstructed by the opponent.. if i
were to decide it ill go for a foul
and a penalty!

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Im delighted with some of these responses cos he DIDNT dive.

Where is Keano? He was giving out loads about Ronaldo diving in some thread.
Explain yourself son......

·
Banned
9,926 Posts
100 % dive and he knew what he was doing. He did it twice maybe three times
prior the incident and I think he got the free on one such event. Fair enough,
he was going to fall because of the position, and that, but he looked around
and waited and just .....Ahh!!!! :eek:

One almost cost us a goal, as he just dropped like a sack of spuds and gave
up. Its a ******* disgraceful thing to have associated with United. I'll go
into school tomorrow and the jeering about United cheating for a penalty and
all that will be unbelievable! He doesn't track back EVER so it makes it look
even worse when he looses out and the ref sees through his smokescreen.

Chelsea last week. He had the most outrageous dive of the century on the
right wing as he knew Cole was away with no one near him. So he goes down
and takes the easy option.

Yesterday, he dived. Simple as, and Fergie was so close to actually saying
"he dived" after the game.

We were playing lovely football in pre-season....now Ronaldo comes back
and things get jittery for the first while in games....

Unless he bucks up and shows that he has some effing guts, then he's a show
pony on the team. Grand, delighted we scored and all that, I'm not saying I
wish we drew or anything, its the manner in which we did.

So far this season..... 80M > Ronaldo

versa said:
neither did any other United player for that matter
Exactly....no one expected it! When the whistle went, I thought he was going to get booked initally

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Keano! said:
100 % dive and he knew what he was doing. He did it twice maybe thre times prior the incident and I think he got the free on one such event.

:rolleyes: he didnt dive. You seem to be the only one who thinks so.
Why you giving him such a hard time.

and as for your last line..... 'so far this season'?
He has only played about 120 mins in the prem and 60 in the CC cup
and he is understanably rusty, but he has still scored 2 goals and got an assist,
so give the lad a break.

·
Banned
9,926 Posts
Maybe so....

I'm probably just very narrow minded on the issue, and peed off with his overall
attitude and what not :eek:

I could rant all day about him! :eek:

·
23,699 Posts
Keano! said:
100 % dive and he knew what he was doing.

Disagree. He did not appeal or look towards the referee.

He did it twice maybe three times prior the incident and I think he got the free on one such event.

Agree.

Fair enough, he was going to fall because of the position, and that, but he looked around and waited and just .....Ahh!!!!

Assumed you are back to the penalty incident. Disagree. Didn't see him "looked around and waited and just...".

One almost cost us a goal, as he just dropped like a sack of spuds and gave
up. Its a ******* disgraceful thing to have associated with United.

Agree.

I'll go into school tomorrow and the jeering about United cheating for a penalty and all that will be unbelievable!

Disagree. We did not orchestrate the penalty; it was a gift.

He doesn't track back EVER so it makes it look even worse when he looses out and the ref sees through his smokescreen.

Disagree. Not as often as we hope for but "EVER" is certainly not accurate.

Chelsea last week. He had the most outrageous dive of the century on the
right wing as he knew Cole was away with no one near him. So he goes down
and takes the easy option.

Agree.

Yesterday, he dived. Simple as, and Fergie was so close to actually saying
"he dived" after the game.

Assumed you are back on the penalty incident. Disagree. Which sentence did Fergie say that seemed to have insinuated that? :confused:

We were playing lovely football in pre-season....now Ronaldo comes back
and things get jittery for the first while in games....

Unless he bucks up and shows that he has some effing guts, then he's a show
pony on the team.

Disagree. He gave us the cutting edge we lacked before he returned. Not a fantastic performance yesterday though, to be honest.

Grand, delighted we scored and all that, I'm not saying I
wish we drew or anything, its the manner in which we did.

Disagree. Know what you mean.... why didn't we take the 80m and run. Way too soon to express such remorse.

Exactly....no one expected it! When the whistle went, I thought he was going to get booked initally

Exactly.... Nobody appealed for anything, including Ronaldo. So to say so confidently that it was "100% dive" is most baffling. :confused:
This is the most 'controversial' post I have read... I keep disagreeing but agreeing at the same time. Going bonkers. :D ;)

·
There is no Noxiousd, only ZUUL
16,031 Posts
He didnt appeal, and certainly didnt make a meal out of it, yes hes dived in the past but hes not guilty this time

·
TROLOLOLOL
4,076 Posts
He dived,end of,glad he did,we got 3 points, footballs ruthless and you gotta take what you can,it gives us payback for that farcical carrick pen at chelski last year!

1 - 20 of 88 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.