Manchester United Talk banner

Ronaldo - Free Kicks?

4K views 67 replies 42 participants last post by  8640 
#1 ·
Surely we should be varying our free kick taking a little bit?
Ronaldo never looks like scoring from them anymore.

I know we have had these kind of threads before, but it was a good while ago.

so...2 questions:

1. Who should be taking our free kicks instead?

and with players that are good in the air like Vidic, Ronaldo etc...

2. should we not be floating or whipping a few more of them into the box?

#3 ·
Berbatov can place them very nicely, just look them up on youtube. Tevez is good at them as well, and Rooney has scored from them.

Giggs should be taking every single one of them that calls for a left footed effort. He ALWAYS puts them on the goal. Not to mention, he's great at whipping in the crosses, which I think we should do more often, due to the height we have at our disposal.

#6 ·
yeah i was thinking today he hasnt scored one and sadly its really becoming a liability cause there mostly good chances and generally wasted

imo his ratio for scoring the free kicks is like 1 in 20 and about 3 in 10 on target its not really good enough (im not saying he isnt) i know hargo can take them but of corse hes not available to play at the moment, and naturally giggs can but he wont play every game so my call is rooney tevez or berbatov they have all been known to score from free kicks

#8 ·
I think Giggs or Berbatov should take the ones closer to the edge of the box let Ronaldo hit them from further out and Giggs whip them in from the wings.

Everytime time Ronaldo steps up i say to people watch this he's due a rocket but no he hits the wall or fires way over:mad:

#16 ·
Ronaldo shouldn't take all our free kicks, ok when he does hit right, it's amazing and lethal, and the keeper has no chance.

But 99% he hits the bloody wall and it goes nowhere - a wasted chance, IMO we shouldn't risk him taking all of them on the off chance that one will go in. I think Giggsy is a quality free kick taker but only from a short distance 25 yards or closer. Hargreaves is also very good. But Ronaldo should take any that are 25 yards or more out.

As for whipping them in more, I agree I think from the side we shoiuld whip them in rather than try and shoot, with players like Vida, Ronny, Rio we are always going to cause trouble.

#17 ·
Jazz 16 said:
Surely we should be varying our free kick taking a little bit?
Ronaldo never looks like scoring from them anymore.

I know we have had these kind of threads before, but it was a good while ago.

so...2 questions:

1. Who should be taking our free kicks instead?

and with players that are good in the air like Vidic, Ronaldo etc...

2. should we not be floating or whipping a few more of them into the box?

Yes, we should. He does have the ability, but ffs, how many times are you gonna score from 35 yards? I can't stand it when he lines up one of these shots from a mile away. Its selfish and in some cases, shows very little respect to the opposition. Close in, grand, smash them, give them a go and see what happens, but its ones far out that will have a good ending once in every 20/30 shots. I'd much rather seeing a ball played out wide, full back rushing on, whipping in a cross and if its cleared, so what? Better then a ball in Row ZZ.

Also, Giggsy, Rooney (To an extent), Hargo (If he ever gets fit:rolleyes:) are well capable of hitting a free on their day. I love those ones where you lay them off to a player completly un-marked, usually scholes. But I do think we should vary our free taking.

Prior Ronaldo, Beckham was our best free kick taker...and how was his shot ot goal ratio? A lot better the Ronaldos, why? He didn't take them from 30+ yards...

When was Ronaldo's last free kick goal anyways? Stoke at home was it? When Sorenson made pigeon hole of it? :p :p :p

#21 ·
Lol, it's all in the timing ya comedy genius Jazz. :laugh:

Stephen is right though. When they go in they are almost always spectacular but far too often it whacks the wall. Although I think he should definitely take the free-kicks against Liverpool - hopefully he'll get Gerrard in the balls! :wink:

#22 ·
He's absolute bollocks at them - always has been.

When he scores them they are cracking, but 9 times out of 10 they are into the wall.
he looks a twat standing there like he's royalty, then goes and hits the first man.
great post.

in fairness he has scored some absolute belters , more often than not he manages to hit the wall.
i would prefer to see the free kick taking mixed up a bit between giggs , rooney , ronaldo, nani and even berbatov.

#23 ·
Lol, it's all in the timing ya comedy genius Jazz. :laugh:

Stephen is right though. When they go in they are almost always spectacular but far too often it whacks the wall. Although I think he should definitely take the free-kicks against Liverpool - hopefully he'll get Gerrard in the balls! :wink:
That would be so ******* hilarious i could possibly die from laughter :biggrin:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.