Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 20 of 360 Posts
Z

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone else bored of the Messi fanboys spilling their loads all over the place this season? The lad's an amazing player but I seriously haven't seen anything that suggests to me he's better than Ronaldo. Sure he's having a great season against the poor defences in La Liga but he wouldn't be anywhere near the same player in the Premiership because he wouldn't be afforded the time and space that he's given to operate in Spain.

He also doesn't have as much in his armoury as Ronaldo. Ronaldo has an amazing shot from outside the box, he's a clinical finisher, great dribbler, amazingly fast, he's as good in the air as anybody, he takes quality free kicks, he basically has everything you would want in an attacking player. Messi is poor in the air, he doesn't take free kicks, doesn't score as often from outside the box, and if you look at his overall package he's nowhere near the player Ronaldo is.

Ronnie just offers so much more than Messi. Against teams that sit deep he doesn't have to dribble through them, he'll change tactics and take long shots, or get himself in the box and use his aerial prowess to get on the end of crosses. Messi can't do any of that. If a team sits deep and just defends all game, Messi is anonymous. He's lucky he plays in such a defensively poor league because I honestly think he'd be found out in the Premiership because of the lack of space he'd be given and the defensive nature of the lower teams.

Based on this season it's hard to argue that Messi isn't the best in the world, considering it is a yearly award, he is having the best year of the two. but consider that Ronaldo missed the first month or so of the season recovering from ankle surgery, then the next month was spent getting back to full fitness, and he's still got 23 goals and 10 assists already. There's no doubt in my mind that if he'd had a full pre season and started the season injury free, he'd be well over 30 goals again and showing the world that he's not a one season wonder. given a choice between the two players I'd take Ronaldo any day of the week.

For me: Ronaldo > Messi

·
Banned
27,712 Posts
Anyone else bored of the Messi fanboys spilling their loads all over the place this season? The lad's an amazing player but I seriously haven't seen anything that suggests to me he's better than Ronaldo. Sure he's having a great season against the poor defences in La Liga but he wouldn't be anywhere near the same player in the Premiership because he wouldn't be afforded the time and space that he's given to operate in Spain.

He also doesn't have as much in his armoury as Ronaldo. Ronaldo has an amazing shot from outside the box, he's a clinical finisher, great dribbler, amazingly fast, he's as good in the air as anybody, he takes quality free kicks, he basically has everything you would want in an attacking player. Messi is poor in the air, he doesn't take free kicks, doesn't score as often from outside the box, and if you look at his overall package he's nowhere near the player Ronaldo is.

Ronnie just offers so much more than Messi. Against teams that sit deep he doesn't have to dribble through them, he'll change tactics and take long shots, or get himself in the box and use his aerial prowess to get on the end of crosses. Messi can't do any of that. If a team sits deep and just defends all game, Messi is anonymous. He's lucky he plays in such a defensively poor league because I honestly think he'd be found out in the Premiership because of the lack of space he'd be given and the defensive nature of the lower teams.

Based on this season it's hard to argue that Messi isn't the best in the world, considering it is a yearly award, he is having the best year of the two. but consider that Ronaldo missed the first month or so of the season recovering from ankle surgery, then the next month was spent getting back to full fitness, and he's still got 23 goals and 10 assists already. There's no doubt in my mind that if he'd had a full pre season and started the season injury free, he'd be well over 30 goals again and showing the world that he's not a one season wonder. given a choice between the two players I'd take Ronaldo any day of the week.

For me: Ronaldo > Messi
great post :thumbsup: have to put up with my mate with his constant talk of Messi and %Ronaldo been shit :rolleyes: and hes a United fan!"all he does is score goals" can ya think of a reason why i all him Dunphy?:p

·
Banned
16,006 Posts
I like the post mate and I generally agree. Just one minor issue-Ronaldo's free-kicks. Percentage wise, how many does he make a feck off? He hits one out of about twenty which are absolute screamers. The rest are muck. That's the only thing.

Z

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I like the post mate and I generally agree. Just one minor issue-Ronaldo's free-kicks. Percentage wise, how many does he make a feck off? He hits one out of about twenty which are absolute screamers. The rest are muck. That's the only thing.
Most free kick takers mess up the majority of their free kicks. Even Beckham only averaged about 5 goals a season from them and Ronaldo matches that.

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
lol zuco. You make a good argument as usual but Im not buying it.
Messi>Ronaldo for me and for a lot of others too. http://www.manutdtalk.com/forums/football-banter/13081-worlds-best-player.html
Just because Barca failed to score against Chelsea you seem to think that Barca are over-rated http://www.manutdtalk.com/forums/foreign-leagues/21710-barcelona-over-rated.html and that Ronaldo is better than Messi. I smell a knee jerk reaction if you ask me. Messi was marked out of it by top class defenders but it doesn't mean he wouldn't cut it in the Premiership.

Obviously the 2 players in question are WAY ahead of the rest of them, but I think that Messi has the edge (for reasons I have stated in the above thread) Ronaldo can also go missing in games as well you know? No player in the world can produce the goods every single game. You are basically saying that La Liga is crap, which it isn't and I know for a fact you don't watch many if any games from that league so some of your points are inaccurate.

·
I'm so gorgeous they want to arrest me
8,772 Posts
This should be renamed the Messi had a bad game against Chelsea and thus Ronaldo is better thread. You are pretty much basing it on 1 game

·
Banned
16,006 Posts
Most free kick takers mess up the majority of their free kicks. Even Beckham only averaged about 5 goals a season from them and Ronaldo matches that.
Beckham on the other hand would actually try and deleiver a cross sometimes from them. Ronaldo will not, he has to continue with his gun-slinger stance so that whole world knows he's taking a free-kick. I think without a doubt Hargreaves will be taking the majority of free-kicks when he returns. I never understood why Rooney doesn't take a few of them? His debut, anyone?

Z

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
lol zuco. You make a good argument as usual but Im not buying it.
Messi>Ronaldo for me and for a lot of others too. http://www.manutdtalk.com/forums/football-banter/13081-worlds-best-player.html
Just because Barca failed to score against Chelsea you seem to think that Barca are over-rated http://www.manutdtalk.com/forums/foreign-leagues/21710-barcelona-over-rated.html and that Ronaldo is better than Messi. I smell a knee jerk reaction if you ask me. Messi was marked out of it by top class defenders but it doesn't mean he wouldn't cut it in the Premiership.

Obviously the 2 players in question are WAY ahead of the rest of them, but I think that Messi has the edge (for reasons I have stated in the above thread) Ronaldo can also go missing in games as well you know? No player in the world can produce the goods every single game. You are basically saying that La Liga is crap, which it isn't and I know for a fact you don't watch many if any games from that league.
Why is it knee jerk? I analysed both players strengths and weaknesses and said why I think Ronaldo is the best. I didn't even mention the Chelsea game in this thread. :wacko:

You should know by now Jazz that I'm not a knee jerk poster.

·
Banned
9,926 Posts
Messi showed last season over two legs between United and Barce that he is a better player. Only thing Ronaldo has over him IMO, is the unpredictibility.

Messi > Ronaldo

Z

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Beckham on the other hand would actually try and deleiver a cross sometimes from them. Ronaldo will not, he has to continue with his gun-slinger stance so that whole world knows he's taking a free-kick. I think without a doubt Hargreaves will be taking the majority of free-kicks when he returns. I never understood why Rooney doesn't take a few of them? His debut, anyone?
Hargreaves will take the close range ones I agree. But Ronaldo will take the long range ones without doubt.

I've often wondered the same about Rooney, he hasn't taken many since he scored that one on his debut.

·
Banned
16,006 Posts
Hargreaves will take the close range ones I agree. But Ronaldo will take the long range ones without doubt.

I've often wondered the same about Rooney, he hasn't taken many since he scored that one on his debut.
Yeah, Hargreaves has a good ability of getting the ball up and over the wall and down quickly. He hits them with accuracy, whereas Ronaldo focuses mainly on power like Roberto Carlos.

Z

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Messi showed last season over two legs between United and Barce that he is a better player. Only thing Ronaldo has over him IMO, is the unpredictibility.

Messi > Ronaldo
That's nonsense. United defended for 180 minutes over two legs and Ronaldo had no support whatsoever. Barcelona attacked for 180 minutes and Messi had support from Henry, Eto'o, Xavi, Iniesta and others. Comparing them when one side was playing so defensively and another was so attacking is stupid.

Only thing Ronnie has over Messi is unpredictability? The mind does boggle. How about being able to head the ball, being able to score from free kicks, being able to score from distance, etc etc.

Don't start with your anti-Ronaldo crap again, we all know your game.

·
Registered
3,017 Posts
Going on Form, Messi is the best in the world at the moment.

Overall Ronaldo is still the better player IMO.

·
Banned
9,926 Posts
That's nonsense. United defended for 180 minutes over two legs and Ronaldo had no support whatsoever. Barcelona attacked for 180 minutes and Messi had support from Henry, Eto'o, Xavi, Iniesta and others. Comparing them when one side was playing so defensively and another was so attacking is stupid.

Only thing Ronnie has over Messi is unpredictability? The mind does boggle. How about being able to head the ball, being able to score from free kicks, being able to score from distance, etc etc.

Don't start with your anti-Ronaldo crap again, we all know your game.

That's my opinion, others will disagree, that's what opinions are all about, each having their own.

You didn't shout down Jazz did you? Hmm...

And for saying Messi is better then Ronaldo is starting my anti-Ronaldo crap again?

Ha....sod off ya ****:fyou:

1 - 20 of 360 Posts