Manchester United Talk banner

Ronaldo Is Having A Great Season

5K views 99 replies 40 participants last post by  scottsati 
G
#1 ·
He seems to have come in for a lot of stick this season because 'his heart isn't in it' according to some. This is reason enough to sell him to Real Madrid according to others. What people forget is that we wouldn't be top of the Premier league table without him in the team.

Considering he missed the first month of the season, he's been in fantastic goalscoring form. He's our top scorer and is also the top scorer in the league. He was never going to replicate his 42 goal wonder season, but he's still having a great campaign by anyone's standards.

He's been played in his proper position this season, as an out and out winger. This just makes his 20 goals even more impressive.

Can we please stop with the 'his heart isn't in it' crap and start supporting him? It's getting really boring to read.

#3 ·
I have nothing to complain about him except he is going down to the ground too easily again (I actually commended some time ago about him doing less of that then) while his petulance remains.

On the plus side, he is showing a little more passion than start of the season and has reiterated more than once already this season about staying. So let's leave him alone on that count.

#4 ·
Well considering he didnt have a pre-season, was injured for 2months at seasons start, had to endure 24/7 media speculation about his future for the whole summer and gets dogs abuse from away fans... Yes he is having a great season this year. He has 20 goals from out wide and played a role in several other goals and tops the PL scoring charts.

#5 ·
I generally agree with you here zuco, apart from the thread title that is. I wouldnt say he is having a 'great' season, but still...this is what I wrote in a thread a few minutes ago, which kinda sums up what you have said:

Fair point but he also scored 2 great goals....Its hard to complain too much when he's banging them in.
He is our top scorer this season (20), joint top scorer in the Prem (15), yet people still crticise him.
Fair enough, he isnt having the greatest of season and the petulance, diving etc. wont endear him much to the fans, but still! 20 goals and a handful of assists after starting the season injured is a solid return. there is still a lot to come from him yet this season. Viva Ronaldo!

G
#6 ·
I generally agree with you here zuco, apart from the thread title that is. I wouldnt say he is having a 'great' season, but still...this is what I wrote in a thread a few minutes ago, which kinda sums up what you have said:
20 goals by April is great for a winger and that's essentially how he's been deployed this season. he's also got 10 assists. That means he's contributed to almost a third of all of our goals this season. I have a feeling he's about to go on a run too :thumbsup:

The only reason to say it isn't great is if you compare it to last season where he had a full pre season and played as a striker a lot of the time so it's an unfair comparison .

#9 ·
I agree of course, i have been saying the same exact things for like .. 8 months? :rolleyes:
And i`m getting tired of this .. i really am ..

When he gives his all in match he`s a hero in our eyes, when he underperforms a lil` bit he`s a villian, uncommitted, his heart is not at OT .. idk, i`ve heard it all .. Can we stop this crap?
He`s still Cristiano Ronaldooooooo. Has been the heartbeat of United in many many matches (i`ve already mentioned this in another thread).
He`s still a Red, and its all that matters. Let Fergie take care of the rest.

#10 ·
20 goals by April is great for a winger and that's essentially how he's been deployed this season. he's also got 10 assists. That means he's contributed to almost a third of all of our goals this season. I have a feeling he's about to go on a run too :thumbsup:

The only reason to say it isn't great is if you compare it to last season where he had a full pre season and played as a striker a lot of the time.
I agree with you in a sense, but I still dont think he has been 'great', not consistently anyway.
He may still get you goals bu that doesn't mean his performances are up to scratch.
There have been many games this season where he hasnt been at the races for whatever reason.
He just doesnt seem to be able to go past players like he has done in his last 2 seasons.
I too believe he is about to go on a run, but he has been crowned worlds best player and I think he could show why a little bit more.

G
#12 ·
I agree with you in a sense, but I still dont think he has been 'great', not consistently anyway.
He may still get you goals bu that doesn't mean his performances are up to scratch.
There have been many games this season where he hasnt been at the races for whatever reason.
He just doesnt seem to be able to go past players like he has done in his last 2 seasons.
I too believe he is about to go on a run, but he has been crowned worlds best player and I think he could show why a little bit more.
I'd like to see him go past players more often and entertain us a bit more, but if he can still score two goals in a game where he apparently didn't play well, I'm happy with that. He's scored some cracking goals for us this season and although he hasn't dazzled many with tricks and turns, his end product is still there and that's all that matters. 20 goals = great season :thumbsup:

#14 ·
He`s more like a spontaneous match winner nowadays Jazz. Last season and the one before, his name was the only one heard in the entire match. He`d make the opponents look *****, he used to score .. Well, doing the usual stuff all of us used to expect from him.
Now, things have changed. He`s not the same player who shows off his skills and make himself known consistently .. He has a quiet match, does nothing right and then .. in a split of a second, he makes it happen. I don`t think this is because he is under performing, its more like a change in his style of play.

We still need to get used to his game.

#15 ·
I'd like to see him go past players more often and entertain us a bit more, but if he can still score two goals in a game where he apparently didn't play well, I'm happy with that. He's scored some cracking goals for us this season and although he hasn't dazzled many with tricks and turns, his end product is still there and that's all that matters.
I agree. but Id like to see him play really well and score 2 goals, instead of playing not so well and scoring 2 goals if ya get what I mean? My first post iin here suggested I was happy with his goal return and assists, but he still has more in the tank and lets hope we see it at the business end of the season, which is from now till May. but yeah, I can sense him going on a streak as well. Just as long as hags doesnt make a thread we should be safe ;) we have some decent enough games to play in the Prem and in Europe so Id expect him to add to his goal tally. Im predicting 30 goals for Ronaldo this season.

#16 ·
Can we please stop with the 'his heart isn't in it' crap and start supporting him? It's getting really boring to read.
Hope this helps...

telegraph

Cristiano Ronaldo dismisses Real Madrid link ahead of Man Utd-Porto clash

Ahead of tomorrow's Champions League quarter-final clash with Porto, Cristiano Ronaldo has moved to quash speculation linking him once more with a move to Real Madrid by insisting that Manchester United "is the right club" for him.

Reports over the weekend claimed the Portugal forward had agreed a secret deal with the Spanish giants that would see him leave Old Trafford for the Bernabeu at the end of this season in a £75 million transfer.

United privately dismissed the speculation as further attempts by Real to unsettle the 24-year-old following their failed attempt to sign him last July.

But Ronaldo, who has issued contradictory statements on his United future in the past, said he has no ambition to leave the English and European champions, when asked to clarify his intentions.

"Always this question," Ronaldo said. "I am happy at this club and I think this is the right club for me.

"We are in a good moment now. We are on top of the league and we have everything to win again, so we are in a good way."

#22 ·
I disagree in some ways.

While his goal scoring record is fantastic, he doesn't rip defences apart like he used to.
yes, and we dont need to compare him with other wingers or with the number of goals scored by a regular winger.
we need to look at his previous season and see what his capabilityes are.

so looking back at last season... i wouldnt say this one is great because he has a massive potential and he can do so much more. but it wasnt a bad season either. altho the great season is the previous one.

G
#23 ·
yes, and we dont need to compare him with other wingers or with the number of goals scored by a regular winger.
we need to look at his previous season and see what his capabilityes are.

so looking back at last season... i wouldnt say this one is great because he has a massive potential and he can do so much more. but it wasnt a bad season either. altho the great season is the previous one.
Last season was phenomenal and will never be repeated in my opinion. But for most of it he was operating as a striker, whereas this season he's operating as a proper winger, meaning any parallel's drawn between the two seasons are ultimately flawed. It would be like comparing a winger to a striker and saying that the striker is a better player because he scored more goals, it's poor logic.

#24 ·
Last season was phenomenal and will never be repeated in my opinion. But for most of it he was operating as a striker, whereas this season he's operating as a proper winger,
That simply isnt true. We had Rooney and Tevez playing most of the games up front last season.
ronaldo was thrown up top in a few games, same as this season.

yea its true this season he played more like a winger. but the last season he played as a striker only in the late season a few games., but even so we can draw a paralel between the two seasons. and as long i wasnt referring to his goal scoring only we can draw that parallel because it is the same player. think about other aspects not only the goal scoring.
good point Sunny.

#25 ·
yea its true this season he played more like a winger. but the last season he played as a striker only in the late season a few games., but even so we can draw a paralel between the two seasons. and as long i wasnt referring to his goal scoring only we can draw that parallel because it is the same player. think about other aspects not only the goal scoring.

#26 ·
Ronaldo is having another fantastic season in terms of goal-scoring..!
While his overall performances in most matches this season hasn't been anything spectacular he still seems to score goals and help the team get results when we look like we are struggling..

IMO I think Ronnie's best season was 06/07 when he scored 23 goals and terrorised evey defence in the country.. Last season was phenomenal 42 goals says it all..!

I think Ronaldo is going to end this season strong and get 30+ goals..!:D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.