Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Berbatov>Tevez
11,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
MANCHESTER United's free-scoring Portuguese winger Cristiano Ronaldo has been named FifPro World Footballer of the Year.
It is the first in what is expected to be a host of individual honours for the 23-year-old, who scored 42 goals for Manchester United on their way to Champions League and Premier League title glory last term.

Ronaldo had suggested last week he could do no more than he did to be crowned the best player on the planet and peers from over 40 countries are in agreement.

At £12.2million, Ronaldo has proved to be a bargain since his arrival from Sporting Lisbon in 2003, growing steadily into the most influential player in the United team.

It is anticipated Ronaldo will also scoop the Balon D'Or and the FIFA World Player of the Year award, with the Portugal international – who has also been named in FifPro's world team of the year – keen to remain at Old Trafford for another couple of seasons at least.

"I insist that I am a Manchester United player and now I think that next year I will continue here," Ronaldo told Marca.

Although Sir Alex Ferguson has twice been forced to intervene to keep Ronaldo at the club – immediately after the 2006 World Cup and last summer as Real Madrid made their bid to get him – the player seems committed to helping United win further honours, even if his lack of goal celebrations recently has been the subject of major debate.

Ronaldo admitted Ferguson played a huge part in his decision to commit his immediate future to the Red Devils following this summer's transfer speculation.

"He has been a key person. I respect him a lot, because it was him who signed me and he has played a very important part in all that I have won," said Ronaldo.

"In Lisbon I reached an agreement with him and it was decided that the best thing for all was to continue.

"He listened to my arguments and I listened to his. Now I understand that it was the correct decision. I am with Manchester United body and soul."

The full article contains 364 words and appears in The Scotsman newspaper.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Based on last seasons performances I don't think anyone can deny that Ronaldo deserved to win it. He was winning games for us almost single handed last season and was without a doubt at the top of his game.

I'm sure the goals will come again this season, although I don't think he'll get anywhere near 42.

Anyway congrats on that one Ronnie, totally deserved based on last seasons performance. I just wish all that happened in the summer had never surfaced :(.

·
Proto-Hipster
46,959 Posts
Well deserved as in the last season Ronaldo was in a God form

42 goal is a feat that its hard to accomplish tho i still have some thoughts the Roon can catch up with a few goals this season ;)

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
Congrats too Ronnie boy. The other 2 Major awards are as good as his. Hopefully he'll win the award again next year.

·
Smeghead Moderator
13,664 Posts
Thoroughly deserved.

No matter what your thoughts about his actions during the summer that boy Ronaldo was simply the best footballer on the planet last season.

·
Banned
15,336 Posts
reddwarf said:
Thoroughly deserved.

No matter what your thoughts about his actions during the summer that boy Ronaldo was simply the best footballer on the planet last season.
Agreed.

Despite what I think about Ronaldo, I still want him to do well because he does still play for Utd.

And anyone who thinks (or says) Ronaldo doesn't deserve this award is either completely and utterly mad, seriously, seriously biased or a WUM.

Also, talking about English football in general, its good to see that a Premiership player has won the award, as its always someone playing on the continent that ends up winning the award.

·
23,699 Posts
abojodeh said:
Well deserved as in the last season Ronaldo was in a good form

42 is a feat that its hard to accomplish tho i still have some thoughts the Roon can catch up with a few goals this season ;)
:eek: Expect the unexpected from Abo. :D ;)

Fair play for putting your emotions aside. :)

·
Proto-Hipster
46,959 Posts
versa said:
:eek: Expect the unexpected from Abo. :D ;)

Fair play for putting your emotions aside. :)
well as much i hate ronaldo but i have to agree that hes the world greatest footballer atm

and btw

no its God not good ;)

and please don't be a zuco next time :p

zuco = grammar and spelling police

·
23,699 Posts
abojodeh said:
well as much i hate ronaldo but i have to agree that hes the world greatest footballer atm

and btw

no its God not good ;)

and please don't be a zuco next time :p

zuco = grammar and spelling police
My apology. I don't normally do that. But the "feet" was just too much to bear. :D

·
MUT all-time great
21,962 Posts
He certainly deserves it more than anyone else, based of last season's victories and electric form.

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
He deserved it last season he was the best by far , i have been backing him up lately but was a bit dissapointed with his interview on skyports ,when asked if his dreams were still in the red number 7 shirt at united and no other club , he replied my dream is to win the champions league again , not what i wanted to hear.
I guess i was hoping he might see the light and stay with us , totally wrong again , oh well wishful thinking i guess
http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11095_4413562,00.html

·
Registered
585 Posts
well done Ronaldo

as for the 'dreams' interview, it was a ridiculous question at an inappropriate time by the reporter. He asked him if he dreamt of Manchester United and playing for no other club when everybody has known for 5 years, he dreams of playing for Madrid. Nothing wrong with that, not everybody dreams of finishing their careers at Man Utd. This is his SIXTH season with us which is a long time. Ronaldo only had three options. The interviewer trapped him in to a corner- either lie and say yes, tell the truth and say no or skit around the issue. Either way he would have criticised. It doesn't mean he isn't willing to stay for the next two seasons including this one like he himself and Ferguson said.

·
Registered
4,025 Posts
Congrats Ronnie, well deserved. Glad to see some of the fans are starting to remember the good more than the bad.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts