Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sky Sports | Football | News | Ronaldo out to control anger

Manchester United winger Cristiano Ronaldo has revealed he is trying to improve upon controlling his anger.

Ronaldo's treatment at the hands of opposition defenders has again been a focus of debate after an incident with Newcastle United defender Steven Taylor last week.

He has also escaped punishment himself this season after kicking out on several occasions, including clashes with Stoke full-back Andy Wilkinson and Tottenham Hotspur centre-half Michael Dawson.

The World Player of the Year accepts he is targeted by his opponents and also acknowledged his battle to keep his temperament in check.
Difficult

"I am a target of course, so it is difficult to avoid certain things," said Ronaldo in The Sun. "I try to control my anger. Sometimes it's not easy, though, and it is something I have to improve on.

"Sometimes it is difficult because of the atmosphere in the stadium and the importance of the game.

"I'm only 24, but I have a lot of experience of big games and that helps because you learn through situations.

"If someone kicks me, I get up and I go again. I am not afraid of being kicked, it is part of the game.

"I see it as a challenge that they have to kick me to stop me."

Confident

United face Inter in the second leg of their UEFA Champions League last 16 tie on Wednesday and Ronaldo is confident the holders can go through after a 0-0 draw in the first meeting in Italy.

He added: "We have to score now and we have to win. It won't be easy, but I am confident we will win.

"In the first leg we had clear opportunities and we should have taken them. But we have another opportunity and have our fans to back us up.

"It's hard to win the Champions League and the feeling it gives you is amazing. I want that feeling again and again."

Cristiano Ronaldo: Not Reacting To Being Kicked Is Tricky - Goal.com

Cristiano Ronaldo has revealed his frustration at being fouled repeatedly when playing for Manchester United, and admits it is often difficult not to let his temper get the better of him.

The Portuguese international accepts that tackling is part of football and so fouls are inevitable, but says it is tricky not to react if he in particular is subjected to more physical challenges.

"I am a target of course so it is difficult to avoid certain things," Ronaldo is quoted as saying in The Sun.

"I try to control my anger. Sometimes it’s not easy, though, and it is something I have to improve on.

"Sometimes it is difficult because of the atmosphere in the stadium and the importance of the game. I’m only 24 but I have a lot of experience of big games and that helps because you learn through situations.

"If someone kicks me, I get up and I go again. I am not afraid of being kicked it is part of the game. I see it as a challenge that they have to kick me to stop me."

United host Italian champions Inter on Wednesday evening in the second leg of the Champions League last 16 and while the Red Devils missed out on an away goal, Ronaldo believes they will still progress.

"We have to score now and we have to win. It won’t be easy but I am confident we will win," he said.

"In the first leg we had clear opportunities and we should have taken them. But we have another opportunity and have our fans to back us up.

"It’s hard to win the Champions League and the feeling it gives you is amazing. I want that feeling again and again."

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
I don't really think Ronaldo has bad anger, he does show it a little on the field but not too much, i think every footballer would have hidden anger, just depends on the atmosphere and the importance of the game.

·
Thank you Sir Alex
5,528 Posts
Ronaldo gets kicked week-in week-out and if he tries to react in the slightest manner, the media paint him as violent. When Rooney acts as a mad man in some games, the media brush it off as hunger and determination :rolleyes:

·
Banned
15,336 Posts
He does need to stop the kicking out tbh, and it's something I've been saying for a while. He's done it 6 or 7 times this season, and it's been getting out of hand imo.

I'm sure someone will have something to say about that, but it's just imo.

·
I aim to Misbehave
6,371 Posts
With the ammount of hits he takes per game, can anyone be surprised he loses it once in a while?

You should thank God that Ronaldo doesn't have gipsy blood, like Quaresma. That one can be downright mean when he wants to...

·
All round nice guy
3,887 Posts
Ronaldo gets kicked week-in week-out and if he tries to react in the slightest manner, the media paint him as violent. When Rooney acts as a mad man in some games, the media brush it off as hunger and determination
very true.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts