Manchester United Talk banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
23,699 Posts
Ronny tally "incredible"

Source: ManUtd.com

United legend Paddy Crerand hailed Cristiano Ronaldo after his 30th goal of the season ensured United's place in the Champions League quarter-finals.

The winger struck his 30th goal in as many games against Lyon on Tuesday night and it was enough to secure a 2-1 aggregate victory for the Reds.

Ronaldo is now within two goals of George Best's record and Crerand is backing the 23-year-old to keep up his remarkable scoring trend.

"It’s an incredible feat for any player, let alone a winger, to score 30 goals in a season," Paddy told ManUtd.com.

"You’d be delighted as a striker to hit that amount of goals, so for Ronaldo to do it is fantastic.

"The amazing thing is he isn’t finished yet, there’s a lot more to come from him.

The Reds winger is not only prolific, his goals also tend to come at crucial times, which makes him even more a prized asset going into the final stages of the campaign.

Crerand added: "He’s popped up with important goals at important times and I'm sure he'll continue to do that between now and the end of the season."

Ronaldo hits 30
Sporting Lisbon 0-1 United (1)
Birmingham 0-1 United (1)
United 4-0 Wigan (2)
Dynamo Kiev 2-4 United (2)
Arsenal 2-2 United (1)
United 4-0 Dynamo Kiev (1)
United 2-0 Blackburn (2)
United 2-1 Sporting Lisbon (1)
United 2-0 Fulham (2)
United 4-1 Derby (1)
United 2-1 Everton (2)
Sunderland 0-4 United (1)
West Ham 2-1 United (1)
Aston Villa 0-2 United (1)
United 6-0 Newcastle (3)
Reading 0-2 United (1)
United 3-1 Tottenham (2)
United 2-0 Portsmouth (2)
Newcastle 1-5 United (2)
United 1-0 Lyon (1)

·
23,699 Posts
Ronaldo Reminds Me Of Best - Ferguson

Source: Goal.com

Sir Alex Ferguson has admitted that some of Cristiano Ronaldo's play this season reminds of the way George Best operated in his prime at Old Trafford.

The Red Devils' manager was reflecting on the Portuguese star's incredible season as he continues to score goals at will and earn all the plaudits.

Ronaldo has already re-written the record books as he beat Best's tally of goals for a winger at United when scoring his 33rd of the campaign against Bolton recently.

“There are certainly similarities [between Ronaldo and Best], “ Ferguson told Manchester United Radio.

“When George played as a winger I don’t think he ever stayed still. He roamed from side to side – he played on the right, the left and through the middle.

“I’ve looked at Best’s goals and a lot of Cristiano’s are similar. He starts from wide positions before cutting inside. The boy’s in tremendous form right now."

Ronaldo is still some way off overhauling the United club record for goals scored in a season, an amount that still belongs to Denis Law after he scored 46 times in the 1963-64 season.

Denis was a fantastic player – he was my hero – but I didn’t know that,” Sir Alex said. “That even beats my record! I scored 45 in 51 games for Dunfermline back in 1965/66," Ferguson concluded.

P.S.:eek: Maybe he can just guide Rooney a bit?:D ;)

·
23,699 Posts
Will Ronaldo's extravagant skills actually land him in trouble?

Yet another thread on Ronaldo!! But before you cringe or curse, this thread is indeed something quite different. It may be a big concern because it happened yet again. Read on....

Source: Teamtalk.com

Pizarro slams 'big head' Ronaldo

Roma midfielder David Pizarro has lashed out at Manchester United star Cristiano Ronaldo, labelling the winger a "big head".

Pizarro accused Ronaldo of showing arrogance and a lack of respect towards his opponents in United's 2-0 Champions League quarter-final first-leg win in the Eternal City on Tuesday night.

Ronaldo, who scored the opener with a stunning header and almost made it 3-0 when he hit the bar, was booed by the home crowd for teasing opposing defenders with his tricks on the pitch.

"Despite the fact that he is a great champion, he is very arrogant," said Pizarro. "He does certain spiteful things on the pitch.

"This is the ugliest thing for a player.

"Some of his little tricks in the middle of the pitch were unnecessary and he needs to show some respect to his opposition. In the return leg, I will have something to say to him."

Portugal star Ronaldo defended his actions after helping his team put one foot in the semi-finals.

"It's nothing against my rivals," said the 23-year-old. "Those plays are just part of my way of interpreting football.

"I have always done them, even three or four years ago when I was younger.

"But there are plays that I do for the good of the team and never to ridicule my opponents.

"I tried to do the best for Manchester United and not to make a show.

"It's just a part of who I am."

Ronaldo believes Roma have improved since last year - when United eliminated the Giallorossi with a humiliating 7-1 defeat at Old Trafford at the same stage of the competition - but insists United have also also grown stronger in the last 12 months.

"I don't think we can talk about a Roma weakness but rather about the strength of Manchester United," he said.

"Last season we didn't know Roma but this time, we have been perfect in defence."

Despite his team having taken a giant step towards the last four, Ronaldo prefers to remain cautious.

"It would be bad to think we have done the job," he warned. "We have next week's game and although a win away from home gives us confidence, we still have to seal qualification."

It is widely acknowledged by fans worldwide that Ronaldo could well be the best player in the world soon with his current form, if not, at least amongst the top 3, in close competition with Kaka of AC Milan and Messi of Barcelona.

His silky ball skills, dribbling, free kicks, phenomenal scoring record as a non-striker this season, overall performance and impact to team etc have been most exquisite and top draw.

Yet we all know opponents have sometimes complained bitterly about his apparent arrogance and lack of respect for them, mainly through certain extravagant stepovers, ball juggling and alike or what the media coined as "showboating".
Some merely complained loudly thereafter but others may just 'react violently' in the heat of the moment or even harbour secret 'ambition' to seriously hurt him should bad blood develop into a personal grudge. [Hope not.]

What do you think? Does Ronaldo sometimes perhaps have overdone things a liitle? Will he land himself in big trouble or serious injury if he does not curb some extravagant displays that opponents may just not take too kindly to?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts