However ...

The deal is unlikely to go through as
sources close to United insist it does
not meet the valuation of the board.

·
Registered
854 Posts
Ronaldo v Rooney

Ok. This is my first time creating a thread. I'm doin Journalism in Dublin and we are producing our own newspaper. In Ireland there has been a lot of critics of Ronaldo still and they are saying that Rooney is the one to that comes up in the big games and that Ronaldo doesn't really have the bottle for big games.

I disagree, I'm sure here may disagree with some of my points but any feedback at all would help thanks.

In the past few weeks, I have read numerous sports articles in the country claiming that if they had to choose between Wayne Rooney and Cristiano Ronaldo that they would choose the English front man.

That decision is formed based on one of Johnny Giles' favourite quote, “honesty of effortâ€. Graham Souness claimed that opposition teams would prefer to see the Portuguese star on the team sheet than Rooney.

Work rate of course, is an important part of football and the work Rooney puts in does create space for players like Ronaldo and Tevez to thrive. But ask anybody in the game, the hardest thing to do in football is put the ball in the back of the net.

John Giles is not one for the statistics but I am. This season, United's winger Ronaldo has played 41 games and has scored 37 goals as opposed to United's striker Wayne Rooney has played 37 games and scored 17 goals.

It's not just about the goals though. When Rooney went 9 games without a goal, it was Ronaldo that laid two goals on a plate for Rooney against Aston Villa a few weeks back.

Also, let's compare their consistency. Rooney, all through his Manchester United career has gone on an eight or nine game run without scoring. However, this season, when United needed a goal, there has been only one man who has stepped up.

Rooney for all his work and endurance has not been the player that people thought when he first came. He doesn't burst through defences and hit unstoppable shots from outside the box like he did when he was 16. Part of this reason maybe Ferguson's reluctance to play him behind a striker, the position that most believe will see the best out of him. And who knows, if United get a big target man next year, it may be Rooney that will be the star of the show playing in his natural position.

However, this year most of the plaudits must go to Ronaldo. Not since, Thierry Henry was at his best have we seen one player, single-handily rip apart most teams in the Premier League and you could argue that if Ronaldo keeps this form up, he may eclipse the wonderful French man.

There is also, this myth that Ronaldo does not perform on the big stage. He is top scorer in the Champions League with 7 goals. He has scored against Arsenal and Liverpool in the league. But it was the all-important first goal in Rome, which showed the class of the 23 year old.

As Paul Scholes clipped the ball in, there was no one to be seen. But, out of nowhere, Ronaldo showed so much heart, pace and commitment and rose highest to score a wonderful header. That has summed up his season and that wasn't even enough to silence some of the critics about his impact on big games.

How do you define a big game? United played Derby County away, who showed great persistence throughout the game only for “you know who†to come up with a great finish. Three points is three points and every game is a big game, particularly towards the end of the season.

What more does Ronaldo have to do to be appreciated by the Irish media?
Dennis Irwin claimed that Wayne Rooney has played as good if not better than Ronaldo. Eamonn Dunphy continues to question how effective he is and many sports journalists are not appreciating the fact that a truly great player is having the season of his life in the best league in the world.

Ronaldo is closing in on Van Nistelrooy's record of 44 goals during a prolific season five years ago. But that was just his game. Ronaldo sets up many goals, contrary to belief; he does track back, while at the same time entertaining the crowd with memorising runs and fancy flicks.

As the season comes to a close, many believe that it is Rooney's time and that he will be the onto fire United into Premier League and Champions League this season. However, when United have been struggling for goals, there has only been one man that has shirted the responsibility. If they are to achieve the Double this season it will Ronaldo that will fire them to glory. When that happens then he will surely get his well-deserved World Player of the Year award.

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
stretty said:
I have mentioned it before on other forums, why would he want to leave , both bacelona and real are not playing well and seem to be in a transition period .
Ronaldo is hero worshipped here and seems happy , it would be a downward step for his career at this stage , but with a ridiculous figure like that you never know , money talks
Thats what Id like to believe as well and do mostly.
He can gain legend status if he stays with us for at least the next 4/5 years.
If we are winning big trophies then why would he go? The Prem is the best
league and are starting to dominate Europe again.
Ronaldo can get all sorts of records by staying here, he has friends here
and when he wins World Footballer of the year this year, how and why could
he leave?

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
Ronaldo Interview

United wing wizard explains why he'd gladly swap personal awards for team glory...

Are you pleased with your form this season?
I try to improve and this season has been even better than the last. People say I need to perform better in big games; I respect that opinion, but I don't feel I need to prove anything to anyone. I'm pleased with my progress, but I believe this United squad is the best I've been involved in. It's more consistent and more mature.

In recent seasons you bet Sir Alex you'd score 15 goals; now you have 36...
That's true! I'm happy with the improvement. I'm a better player now than I was a year ago and definitely better than when I first came here. I hope that continues. Why have I scored more goals this season? It's hard to say, I've just had more chances.

Do you have a favourite goal from this season?
I enjoyed my header against Roma away. That was very satisfying. But I like the free kicks against Portsmouth, Bolton and Sunderland. It's hard to pick one.

Were you proud to beat George Best's 32 goals in a season from midfield?
I don't really want to break anybody's record – I feel bad! I've seen tapes of George Best playing and he was absolutely fantastic. It's a wonderful record to hold.

You're tipped to win numerous Player of the Year awards again this year…It's nice to be recognised, but if I had the choice of winning, say, the Champions League or the Golden Boot, I'd pick the Champions League every time.

·
Registered
590 Posts
This is a tough one to call. The mighty Wazza up against the formidable Ronnie, both two outstanding young footballers who have the world at their feet.

Since joining United in 2003, Ronaldo's game has advanced and taken on a level I didn't think it would ever reach. When he first arrived, he was a tricky winger who liked to show off his skills. His pace and trickery would get him into some great positions however he could sometimes be very wasteful when he got in these positions. He was often criticised for going down to easily, and quickly became a player the opposition fans loved to boo.

A few years down the line and some things still havn't changed. Ronnie get's booed at every ground he goes to, not including OT of course, but not because of his inability to keep his footing, but because the opposition fans are terrified of what he will do to their team. Coming up to five years on from his debut (can't believe it has been that long :eek:) Ronaldo is now regognised as one of the best players in the world, if not the best player. He has begun to cut out the unecessary step-overs and poor decision making, and replaced them with pin point crosses and powerful accurate shots. Without question Ronaldo has improved dramatically since his arrival in '03, and had been improving slowly but surely up until the end of the 2005/2006 season, when the turning point came in his United career.

Ronaldo's star had shone brightest at the 2006 World Cup but it was not without controversy. The role he played in Wayne Rooney's sending off had many people calling for his head and wanting him out of the country. None of this however came from United who were ready to take him back under their wing. Without question Ronaldo re-paid the faith put in him by SAF with 23 goals in an amazing season, as he fired United to the Premiership title, as well as picking up a whole host of personal honours along the way.

Many people thought Ronaldo had now peaked at United however, the boy wonder still had a lot more in his locker. Once again this season he has been the Premiership's outstanding player and has improved his game once again in ever department.

With his new contract seemingly on the table, United have recognised Ronaldo as indispencible to the club. They know they have on their hands one of the finest footballers in the world, and are ready to lock up his services for the forseable future.

But now from the Sunshine of Madeira, to the streets of Merseyside, another United legend in the making was on the horision.

Unlike Ronaldo who at the time was an unknown youngster with potential to become a fine player, Wayne Rooney had already shown that he could perform at the highest level while still being only a teenager.

In August 2004, United had already sighted their Summer transfer target for the following year. However when Newcastle put in an offer for Rooney and threatened to hijack United's plan, SAF had to respond.

He responded by bringing to the club the explosive young talent Wayne Rooney to Manchester United for a fee that could rise to £27 million.

After having to wait to make his United debut due to injury picked up at Euro 2004, Rooney wasted little time in announcing himself on the United scence with a stunning hat-trick on his debut against Fenerbache. Playing in his preferred position just behind Ruud van Nistelrooy, United looked to have the ultimate player on their hands.

Throughout his time at United, Rooney has shown that he has the potential to become one of the finest players in English football history. However he has fallen victim ironically to his desire, will to win and versatility. Whilst at United Rooney has played as a target man, striker dropping just off the target man, left winger, right winger and center midfielder. Wayne was even ready to go in goal when United had to re-think their man between the sticks as Tomasz Kusuzcak was sent off against Portsmouth this season in the FA Cup. Wherever Rooney has played, he has given his all and looked capeable but hasn't in some positions been able to fill the potential he had shown at a younger age. Undoubtably Rooney preferred position is to play just off a traget man, something unfortunatly he hasn't been able to do as often as he would have liked.

Despite this, Rooney has proved his value to the team which is shown by the fact that he has been absent from every United defeat this season.

Rooney and Ronaldo are both amazing talented players, who can be hugely sucessful at United. Ronaldo is the type of player who can grab the vital goal at a crucial time in a game, and at times seem to win matches single handedly for the team. Rooney on the other hand is the type of player who can lift the whole team with one powerful surging run, or an explosive piece of magic to create something for his team. Both players in my view are indispencible to United. Ronaldo for his individual brilliance, and Rooney for his work rate, and being able to get the best out of his team mates even if he isn't playing his greatest game, much like Roy Keane.

With things going seemingly well for both men at United, and the team doing well on the pitch, we can hopefully look forward to seeing both men stay at United for a long time. Either player would be sorely missed if he were to leave.

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Well against big teams Ronaldo always gets man and double marked because he is a major threat, and any player marked that tight should obviously dissapear! It doesn't matter how good you are but with 2 or even at times more people on you, the player is bound to seem to dissapear over a long period of time - and Ronaldo is the victim of that. In the Milan clashs last season Gattuso and their lb were both on him. In the FA Cup final Essien and their lb/rb were on him for more than 90 minutes and its tough for a winger who doesn't have that much space to begin with to be double marked for 90 minutes hence he dissapears. Another example can be away at anfield with Mascherano on him like a glove.

The reason why Ronaldo has imporved on that aspect (performing in the big games) this season is because he has become a more complete player. He can score free-kicks, penalties, headers from set peices, move up front as striker and finish one on ones, tap ins, and score long shots because his shooting has improved and that is why now he does certainly delivers and scores in big games! We seriously need to applaud the improvement because before he was just lost with 2 men on him with just small glimpses of his talent but now since he can have an impact from many different areas in the game he does indeed perform. Anyone who says he hasn't improved and still disappears is delousional - eg. scousers. Reason why Torres will always choke vs a world class defence is because he is not so well rounded as Ronaldo in the areas I have mentioned above.

Lets just hope Ronaldo can continue this magnificent form into this crucial part of the season and into Euro 08 and into the Olympics and into next season! lol

·
Banned
11,551 Posts
Cristiano Ronaldo the complete player

This is why Critiano Ronaldo is a complete player

Right foot goals {Open Play} 13 goals
Left foot goals {Open Play} 7 goals
Headers 8 goals
Free-Kicks 5 goals
Penalty's 4 goals

Where Abouts

Old Trafford 24 goals
Away grounds 14 goals

When

0-15 minutes 6 goals
16-30 minutes 3 goals
31-45 minutes 7 goals
46-60 minutes 6 goals
61-74 minutes 4 goals
76-90 minutes 12 goals

and still counting

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Queiroz: Not Enough Money In the World To Buy Ronaldo

Source: Goal.com

Carlos Queiroz has told Real Madrid to forget about signing Cristiano Ronaldo as he does not believe that there is enough money in the world to tempt Manchester United to sell the star.

The Red Devils's assistant manager made it clear that all the rumours and reports suggesting that Los Merengues had a chance of prising the Portuguese forward away from Old Trafford were wrong.

Queiroz was responsible for taking Ronaldo to the Premier League club and is known to be very protective of his compatriot, who he has helped nurture since his arrival in England from Sporting Lisbon in 2003.

Real Madrid have continuously been linked with a move for the 23-year-old with suggestions that they are ready to break the bank in order to attract the player to the Bernabéu, but that is a trick that will not impress Manchester United, according to Alex Ferguson's right-hand man.

"We are not going sell him, even for €120m," Queiroz announced, in a bid to finally quash all the transfer talk. "You can count all the money in the world, but there would still not be enough to buy him."

Los Merengues' president, Ramón Calderón, has added Ronaldo's name to a list of players that he promised to sign in his pre-election campaign tow years ago. While Arjen Robben has arrived as one of those named, Kaká and Cesc Fàbregas are still at AC Milan and Arsenal respectively.

Now Madrid look set to be told that while the last regime was able to prise the Brazilian Ronaldo and Zinedine Zidane away from their club in unlikely, and prolonged transfer, the current board will not be so lucky with their list of primary targets.

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
Updated Ronaldo Stats:

Ronaldo's goals in the season 2007/2008 until April 17th 2008:

- 38 goals in 42 matches (28 in the EPL, 7 in the CL and 3 in the FA Cup)
- 1 hat trick (against Newcastle)
- He scored twice 9 times
(against Wigan, Kiev, Blackburn, Fulham, Everton, Tottenham, Portsmouth, Newcastle and Bolton)
- Ronaldo has now scored in the last 7 games he has played in:
(Arsenal, Boro, Roma, Villa, Liverpool, Bolton, Derby)

United Career: 88 goals in 232 apps.

Goals scored:
2003/04 - 6
2004/05 - 9
2005/06 - 12
2006/07 - 23
2007/08 - 38*
* Up to 17th April

Top scorers for United in a season:

-46-Denis Law - (63/64)
-44-Ruud van Nist - (02/03)
-39-Denis Law - (64/65)
-38-Cristiano Ronaldo (07/08) * until 15th March
-36-Ruud van Nist- (01/02)
-34-Tommy taylor - (56/57)
-33-Liam Whelan - (56/57)
-33-David Herd - (65/66)
-32-Dennis Viollet - (59-60)
-32-George Best - (67/68)
-31-Brian McClair - (87/88)
-30-Jack Rowley - (48/49 & 51/52)
-29-Bobby Charlton - (58/59)
-29-Dwight yorke - (98/99)
-25-Eric Cantona - (93/94)
-23-Cristiano Ronaldo - (06/07)

Top Scorers Premiership 07/08Ronaldo-28
Torres-22
Adebayor-20

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
Ronaldo clinches awards treble

http://www.manutd.com/default.sps?pagegid={B4CEE8FA-9A47-47BC-B069-3F7A2F35DB70}&newsid=4017089

The individual awards keep rolling in for Cristiano Ronaldo, who has picked up the Barclays Player of the Season and Barclays Golden Boot awards to complete a sensational season.

The 23-year-old Portuguese wing wiazard also collected a merit award for reaching 30 league goals this season.

Ronaldo was pivotal in United's Barclays Premier League title success and it was no surprise that he earned the Barclays Player of the Season accolade for the second year in succession.

Whichever way you look at it, Ronaldo has been exceptional this season, and the stats back it up. His 31 goals from 34 league appearances helped see off stiff opposition for the awards from Arsenal's Emmanuel Adebayor and Fernando Torres of Liverpool.

It's the first time a player has scored more than 30 league goals in a season since Alan Shearer's 31-goal haul for Blackburn Rovers twelve years ago.

The merit award for reaching 30 goals will also benefit one lucky charity as Ronaldo will receive £1,000 for every goal scored to be donated to a charity of his choice.

However, for all the personal awards showered on the Madeiran magician, his sights will be firmly set on the Champions League trophy in Moscow next Wednesday.

PFA Player of the Year
Football Writers' Player of the Year
Sir Matt Busby Player of the Year
United Players' Player of the Year
United Goal of the Season (Portsmouth)
Barclays Player of the Season
Barclays Golden Boot
Barclays Merit Prize

- Congratulations Ronaldo! Now if he can show a bit more maturity next season, continue playing when the referee hasn't blown the foul and stop the sulking that gives Paddy Crearand and others heart attacks, he will be a true great. It would be fantastic, if he not only played like the world's best, but also behaved like the world's best footballer!

Nonetheless, to receive so many accolades at the tender age of 23 is simply amazing and a remarkable feat. He certainly gets my vote for the Ballon d'Or.

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
Ronaldo has now scored 41 goals this season, 31 of them in the Prem.
And as we know he ended the season with 42 goals in all competitions.

Jaysus, I'd forgotten about this thread. I'll update it slightly (sick of that huge transfer thread)

Manchester United career: 118 goals in 289 apps.

17th Overall, just 3 goals behind Andy Cole:

Check overall table: THE WEBSITE OF DREAMS - EVERY GOALSCORER - ALL COMPETITIVE MATCHES

Goals scored:
2003/04 - 6
2004/05 - 9
2005/06 - 12
2006/07 - 23
2007/08 - 42
2008/09 - 26*

* Up to 12th May 2009.

Top scorers for United in a season:

-46-Denis Law - (63/64)
-44-Ruud van Nist - (02/03)
-42-Cristiano Ronaldo - (07/08)
-34-Tommy taylor - (56/57)
-32-Dennis Viollet - (59-60)
-32-George Best - (67/68)
-31-Brian McClair - (87/88)
-30-Jack Rowley - (48/49 & 51/52)
-29-Bobby Charlton - (58/59)
-29-Dwight yorke - (98/99)
-26-Cristiano Ronaldo - (08/09) *Up to 12th May '09.
-25-Eric Cantona - (93/94)

41 - 54 of 54 Posts