Manchester United Talk banner
21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Banned
27,712 Posts
piazza said:
Since the day he got here. England too. He's got that Keane-type fire in him, that a captain needs.
agree with you 100 per cent and im not going to use the fact he used to play for everton agsint him like the mexas point :p

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
The way how it goes with the ref today, i would love to see him with the armband, also wearing it will motivate him in a way or two with that added responsibility and who knows, with it, it will make him aware that he has a bigger task & example to lead. I think he isnt the only one who show his dissatisfaction publicly and whom have that leadership potential. There are players like VIdic & Ronaldo at times. Maturity comes with experience. In the future maybe but as much as i like to see Rooney being the captain, my choice will be Rio and Vida ahead of him anytime.

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
Well first will be Rio after Neville will retire...but who knows?..he has the passion and maybe in 3-4 years he will grow enough in maturity to captain a team la United

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
i have said on many posts that rooney is great at his and does it often....he has fantastic leadership qualities, just as the captaincy of england was the making a beckham i think the same could happen with rooney. might just be the thing he needs to keep his temper from boiling over too much at the wrong time.

·
Banned
9,926 Posts
He has amazing power...and speed too. He was amazing for Gibbo's goal yesterday,
the turn the ball out of feet and he was powering his way to goal brilliantly, and
then what about the pass for Gibbo to rifle home?

He's a captain in the future IMO...and Fergie would love to see it IMO.

·
There's Only One Darren Fletcher!
11,978 Posts
It was really fantastic the way Rooney was spurring the guys on...we weren't particularly inspiring stuff but Rooney was inspiring, and really enabled the rest of the team to play better towards the latter part of the game

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
RedAdam said:
i noticed it at the game, as did a couple of lads behind me. it's great to see that coming on at 2-0 up, still in 1st gear, that he has the professionalism and enthusiasm to drive the team on, knowing that 4 or 5 goals might be there for the taking if we up the tempo a bit. it epitomizes why i love rooney to be honest.

captain?

as has been said, he's had it a couple of times, but only really in games where the others have been rested. i recall coventry?
and yes he is vocal enough to be captain, and he certainly leads by example in terms of ability. rio is certainly ahead of him, and i think that someone like that, who plays in the middle or at the back is the best choice generally.

i know that an inspirational performance can lift a team, but if rooney is to be playing up front for us, you would rather someone like rio in defence, to be watching the game, making sure the defence is holding its line, people doing the right things etc. that's the captain's job. it's the reason why you rarely see a great captain who plays up front.
cantona the exception of course.

finally, if he were to have any chance, he needs to lead by example attitude-wise also. if he's having a swipe at someone, or kicking out when fouled, it's hardly the example that we want the captain to set.

just read above, about the aggression that was such a part of cantona and keane's game. i agree that removing aggression from wayne completely would do more harm than good. but you rarely saw keane do something for the sake of it. he always felt he could justify himself, whether protecting his team, or attending to personal business. rooney isn't doing that yet. if he was, i would be applauding it :)

Another good post.

I honestly think people shouldn't be too quick to write off Rooney as a captain. In my opinion the two players who hate losing above all others are Rooney and Ronaldo. They're followed by the old guard and then Rio.

Rio is the current favourite, because he doesn't lose it, BUT if Rooney can stop kicking out and hitting out at opponents, he would make an inspirational captain.

His energy and enthusiasm are contageous and he has the players respect. They probably wouldn't understand a word of his rants ..... ;) but that might be a good thing. He would be ranting at them and they would know he was not happy, but they couldn't understand him, so wouldn't get insulted.

Looking at the current squad, I think if Rooney could quit the petulent stuff he would make a better and more influential captain than Rio or Hargreaves.

·
Banned
2,730 Posts
In answer to jazz's first question Rooney could well be a future captain he certainly has the heart and passion for it .

Has he got the temprement people will say .

Well who ever said that hasnt been watching United for the last 20 years because Keane , Cantona and Robson were rough as nails and wouldnt take no crap off no one .

·
Registered
4,828 Posts
RedForceRising said:
Rio is the current favourite, because he doesn't lose it, BUT if Rooney can stop kicking out and hitting out at opponents, he would make an inspirational captain...

Looking at the current squad, I think if Rooney could quit the petulent stuff he would make a better and more influential captain than Rio or Hargreaves.
I have several problems with Rio as captain:

- He tends to yell and scream at people WAY too much. You have to pick your spots, otherwise players will eventually just tune you out.

- He seems to be way too excitable on the pitch during critical situations. If you ask me, it's Vidic who keeps everything calm in a crisis. You need a captain to have a calming influence.

- He plays the blame game all of the time. This is not constructive. A player makes a mistake, he knows it better than anyone. A quiet word of criticism or, better yet, encouragement works wonders in these situations.

- He does not seems to accept responsibility when he makes a gaffe. Witness the CL final - he made two mistakes that led to the tying goal and he still looked around for someone else to blame. Face it Rio, you @#$%ed it up!

Although still very excitable, Wazza seems to have a better temperment for the job, and he would only get better. And think of what a positive effect it might have on his performance.

Just my opinion tho...;)

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
moondog said:
I have several problems with Rio as captain:

- He tends to yell and scream at people WAY too much. You have to pick your spots, otherwise players will eventually just tune you out.

- He seems to be way too excitable on the pitch during critical situations. If you ask me, it's Vidic who keeps everything calm in a crisis. You need a captain to have a calming influence.

- He plays the blame game all of the time. This is not constructive. A player makes a mistake, he knows it better than anyone. A quiet word of criticism or, better yet, encouragement works wonders in these situations.

- He does not seems to accept responsibility when he makes a gaffe. Witness the CL final - he made two mistakes that led to the tying goal and he still looked around for someone else to blame. Face it Rio, you @#$%ed it up!

Although still very excitable, Wazza seems to have a better temperment for the job, and he would only get better. And think of what a positive effect it might have on his performance.

Just my opinion tho...;)
Man... I would have just written "Rio's lips look like a ****" :D

Nah, just kidding. Top post moondog and I agree with ever single point.
You got your anti-Rio ammo down and I agree.

He never takes responsibility for anything even when it clearly is his fault or worse, it's the fault of several players, he usually screams at one particular player and unfairly singles him out.

It reminds me of when I was a cover musician...if I ever hit a wrong note, I'd stare at the amp like it was the amps fault. Bloody note-bending evil contraption! ;)

Back on topic....

I think Rooney would take more responsibility for his actions and would be a more impactful/influential captain.

The reason I'd want Rio to be captain though, is because it boosts his game considerably. I think it would only make 1 or 2% difference to Rooney's game or even none at all, but it seems to lift Rio's game quite a bit.

·
Banned
15,336 Posts
Good thread Jazz.

I spotted it too, and was delighted. We've been missing that passion at points this season imho, and even though we were 2 up at the time he wasn't happy with some of his team-mates taking their foot off the gas. It was great to see, especially from one of the younger players.

As for future captain, I have no doubts. Rio will definitely be the next permanent captain. But Rooney should be captain one day imo. He does need to mature and sort out a few of his flaws. But I expect him too as he gets older, and I would love to see him as captain one day.

Jazz 16 said:
Yes he was. He nagged fergie to make him captain for some game. It was last season
in a cup game I think, when most of the other 'captains' were being rested.
I reckon he has had the armband 2/3 times but I couldnt tell you exactly.
He was captain against FC Copenhagen in the Champions League the season before last, and he has had it on a couple of other occasions I believe (against Southend seems to ring a bell)

abojodeh said:
would Keano or King Eric and go and punch Marrison if they were in the same situation ?
Keane did try to punch Shearer abo ;)

21 - 35 of 35 Posts