1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Rooney eager to emulate Giggs
United striker cannot imagine ever wanting to leave Old Trafford
Last updated: 31st October 2008

Manchester United striker Wayne Rooney is eager to emulate Ryan Giggs and cannot imagine ever wanting to leave Old Trafford.

Twenty-three-year-old Rooney is keen to stay with the Premier League and UEFA Champions League title holders for as long as he is wanted and he hopes to add to his medal collection.

The former Everton forward has already won two English top-flight accolades and the European Cup, but he hopes to notch as many winners' medals and appearances as Welsh veteran Giggs.

At 34, Giggs has won 10 league titles, lifted the Champions League on two occasions and sampled four successful campaigns in the FA Cup, racking up 768 United appearances in the process.

And Rooney would welcome a career to match his team-mate's, telling MUTV: "I want to stay at this club as long as I am wanted. I want to keep playing and scoring goals.

"But if I am anywhere near what Ryan has achieved when I am his age, I would be really pleased.

"The games he has played and what he has won is fantastic."

Rooney is just one short of 100 goals in club football and will try to reach his century when Hull visit Old Trafford on Saturday.

"To score 100 goals in club football would be nice but it doesn't really bother me," he said.

"Winning is the most important thing. I will look back when I have finished my career but I am only young. I want to score more than 100 and keep scoring, so it is no big deal."
Source: SkySports News

I hope he never leaves. I want him to stay here his whole career and break many records. Maybe he'll be the one too break Sir Bobby Charlton's goal record. Legend in the making.

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
i honestly can't see anybody ever beating giggs overall record the best rooney can hope for is to score more goals for utd than giggs or perhaps win more champions league medals the rest is uncatchable.

·
Registered
293 Posts
sweet fa said:
i honestly can't see anybody ever beating giggs overall record the best rooney can hope for is to score more goals for utd than giggs or perhaps win more champions league medals the rest is uncatchable.
true, though maybe he will win more premier league titles.

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
giggs record will never be broken he is a one off , he is the the only one to beat sir bobbys record which stood for years and years

·
Keen on Fella's
8,472 Posts
rooney will have some job on his hands trying to match up to giggsys records.

rooney will be remembered as one of the all time united greats, when he finishes his career.
i just cant see him breaking the appearance record, he will probably win more champions lge medals or score more goals, but thats about it.

giggs is way out there, he will never be surpassed.. never.

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
Rooney might not beat Giggsy's appearance records, but he will be considered a legend by the time he retires.

I believe he wants to stay at the club for a long, long time and unless the club don't want him I don't see why he can't stay for a decade more.

He can play as a striker for another 7 years at least and if his legs can't do the running he can go into midfield.

What I like from this article is the fact that he's still hungry even after he's won the league twice, a league cup and the biggest prize in club football - the Champions League.

So to have that hunger is a really good thing and should keep the club in good stead.

If Wayne scores consistently for club and country, I hope he gets more recognition from the Ballon d'Or and FIFpro awards.

·
Proto-Hipster
46,959 Posts
Giggsy record is unbeatable as he was a regular part of the team since he was 17

But Rooney can reach the 500 match mark or a bit more

·
23,699 Posts
goal.com

Rooney Can Break Giggs' Appearance Record

Veteran Welsh winger Ryan Giggs has backed boy wonder Wayne Rooney to break his all-time Manchester United appearance record....

Sir Bobby Charlton's 758 game appearance record was broken by 34-year old winger Ryan Giggs last term and he Welshman looks set to shatter that tally as he continues to be granted pitch time by manager Sir Alex Ferguson.

Giggs believes that stocky forward Wayne Rooney can go on to surpass both hauls, and is more than capable of becoming a Reds legend.

Rooney currently has 201 appearances to his name in all competitions and for a 23-year old coupled with the fact that he only joined the Red Devil ranks in 2004, is some feat.

"I think there are players here who could do it [break both players' records]," Giggs explained to the Manchester Evening News.

"Wayne Rooney has been here since he was 20 and has the capacity to stay in the team a long, long time.

"Hopefully he and other players will do what I've done and spend their careers at United. It is a special club and it is not easy to stay in the team throughout your career - but it is possible," he said.

·
hates City
2,913 Posts
He should concentrate of keeping his game as it is now, and score as many goals for United as he can. Success and records will come

1 - 10 of 10 Posts