Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
hates City
2,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wayne Rooney has stoked up ill feeling ahead of Saturday's title showdown with Liverpool by claiming his hatred of Manchester United’s arch-rivals would make killing off their Barclays Premier League hopes even more satisfying.

United are seven points clear at the top of the table with a game in hand and Rooney knows Liverpool must win at Old Trafford to stand any chance of the title.

But the boyhood Everton supporter is determined to knock Rafael Benitez’s side out of the race and leave Chelsea as the only team who can stop United being crowned champions for the third year in a row.

Rooney said: ‘I’m very excited about the game because I grew up as an Everton fan hating Liverpool and that hasn’t changed. We’re in pole position in the title race and we know if we can beat Liverpool it will almost certainly put them out of it. For everyone at United, and especially myself, that would be a great feeling.’

Liverpool’s win at Anfield in September was one of only two United defeats in the League this season and Tuesday’s emphatic Champions League triumph over Real Madrid has created renewed optimism that they can still catch Sir Alex Ferguson’s side.

Rooney’s comments were posted on Manchester United’s official website but their inflammatory nature led the club to remove them on Thursday night. But they have given an added edge to the most fiercely contested fixture in the English calendar and Rooney knows exactly what to expect on Saturday lunchtime.

‘It’s a massive fixture for both clubs, especially with what’s at stake,’ he added. ‘For me, it’s our biggest game of the season. They are always anxious games against them and I’m sure it will be frantic with a lot of challenges.

'I thought Liverpool played really well against Real Madrid. They attacked with a lot of speed, were aggressive and put Real under a lot of pressure. They have been brilliant all season and put up a good challenge — but it will be great if we can finish that challenge off.’

Rooney also paid tribute to his team-mates for breaking Chelsea’s hold on English football. He said: ‘After Roman Abramovich came in, it was hard to see anyone else winning the title, but we’ve bounced back and showed again we are a quality team.’
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1161517/Rooney-I-hate-Liverpool-United-end-title-dreams.html

·
23,699 Posts
ITN - United withdraw Rooney's Reds comment

United withdraw Rooney's Reds comment

Manchester United have decided to take Wayne Rooney's controversial comments about Liverpool off their official website.

Rooney was interviewed by United's in-house TV station and went public with his long-held 'hatred' for Liverpool, who come to Old Trafford for a vital Premier League game on Saturday.

"I have always hated Liverpool and that's not changed" - Wayne Rooney

"I have always hated Liverpool and that's not changed," said Rooney, before going on to claim that if United were to win this weekend, Rafa Benitez's men would be out of the title race.

A club spokesman said: "In advance of the game we felt this was the best option.

"The comments are open to wilful mis-reporting and neither the club nor Wayne wanted that to happen."

·
Smeghead Moderator
13,664 Posts
United withdraw Rooney's Reds comment
Too late :rolleyes:

They edit out the comments for the interview broadcast on MUTV but then put them on the website? :confused:

The global media have already seen the comment and will have made their headlines. What's the point in withdrawing it now?

Besides he's an Evertonian who plays for Man United. Of course he hates Liverpool! It's not like he said he was going to give Carragher a good kicking!!!

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
sounds like hes really up for this game even more than other games. could be a fiery encounter.

hopefully rooney scores a hat-trick:specool:

·
23,699 Posts
sportinglife

FERGIE UNDERSTANDS ROONEY'S RED 'HATE'

Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson has defended Wayne Rooney over his declaration that he "hates" Liverpool.

The comments were made on MUTV in the immediate aftermath of Wednesday night's Champions League win over Inter Milan and were eventually removed from United's official website on Thursday afternoon for fear of inflaming passions ahead of Saturday's north-west showdown at Old Trafford.

As an Everton supporter, a former Everton player and a member of Manchester United's Champions League-winning team, Rooney has taken plenty of abuse from Liverpool fans down the years.

Nothing has happened on either side to suggest the antipathy has reduced at all.

But Ferguson has claimed the England man probably used the wrong word.

"Hate is an easy word to say, easier than dislike. Maybe it is not the right word," said Ferguson.

"But Wayne has had plenty of stick from Liverpool fans over the years, so it is understandable.

"He supported Everton as a kid and the rivalry between them and Liverpool is pretty ferocious now. Since then he has come to Manchester United and he wants to win.

"It is nothing out of the ordinary really."

·
There's Only One Darren Fletcher!
11,978 Posts
Fergie : Its nothing out of the ordniary
Rooney: I hate Liverpool

You wonder why I love them two ? Rooney to score tomrow ! :p

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
I think the withdrawal of the word has something to do with the match tomorrow. I frankly have no problem of him saying it but then again i can understand why it shouldnt have come from rooney especially prior to the big match. We all know rooney's temper, and saying it will give a reason for the pile fans to abuse him? Not like they need a reason to abuse thou but we could do without any extra abuse especially when its Rooney..Question is, can Rooney cope like Gary did with all these additional abuse? I think we all already know the answer.:eek:

·
Registered
3,236 Posts
/Rooney was close enough to getting sent off against Inter, probably why he was taken off tbh/

Hopefully he backs up the Scouse comments with a goal ;)

·
Registered
70 Posts
Former Evertonian and Man United player hates Liverpool shock horror :rolleyes:

Whats all the fuss about, i'd be annoyed if he came out saying how much he liked and respected Liverpool FC. Good on him :thumbsup:

·
23,699 Posts
I wouldn't say it is wise at all. You are just winding up your opposition and giving them a little extra bit of incentive that you can do without or worse, attracting 'unwanted special attention' on the pitch.

Besides, I believe it is, at best, 50% effective as proven by the perpetual pre-match war cries done by either player(s) or manager in almost every team that I would deem it most unnecessary. Psychologically too, the more you talk about it, the lesser drive is left for you because you have already fullfilled part of your ego by telling it.

I thus decry public war cries. War cries within our dressing room are certainly more infectious and appropriate to psyche up the entire team.

Mind games, however, are a different and a much more effective ball game.

·
He wipes front to back
27,654 Posts
wayne is the epitome of a fan on the pitch -- he always puts in a full shift and you can see it hurts him if we lose/dont play well -- he says it how it is - i am glad he hates the pile and hope he mullers them with actions tommorow

·
Banned
15,336 Posts
Why can't our players just keep their mouths shut? :confused:

I don't mind them saying things like this, but please not before the game. :whistling:

·
Registered
773 Posts
i dont like how rooney express it to the media...like how robben express something like this the media before the 1st leg of real madrid and liverpool clash...robben got carried away with his hatred...and look how he performed on the pitch, he;s selfish..i dont want to see rooney get too selfish on the game...UNITED is all about team play....

·
Registered
4,828 Posts
Wazza......never give your opponents ammunition.

I love the guy for feeling that way, but say it after we beat them.

Now he's gotta back it up.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts