Manchester United Talk banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 40 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,814 Posts
CROoney from Dubrovnik said:
take it easy there - a guy has a right on his opinion.... we discussed it at the shoutbox moments ago, so he doesn't mean he's overrated per se... he just thinks he's not a goal poacher
he was never going to be a goal poacher.. either was cantona.. how does this issue make him over rated...


sorry im a Rooney fanatic!
 

·
Berbatov>Tevez
Joined
·
11,076 Posts
eoininho said:
he was never going to be a goal poacher.. either was cantona.. how does this issue make him over rated...


sorry im a Rooney fanatic!
i know what you mean ;) - i think rooney's priceless to us. i don't think i'm being biased. especially not over united. i'm more critical than anyone
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,544 Posts
United this season With Rooney
Games 16
Wins 13
Draws 3
Losses 0
Goals For 41
Average Goals For 2.56
Goals Against 7
Average Goals Against 0.44
Win % 81%
Points per game 2.62

United this season Without Rooney
Games 10
Wins 5
Draws 1
Losses 4
Goals For 9
Average Goals 0.90
Goals Against 7
Average Goals Against 0.70
Win % 50%
Points per game 1.60

The stats speak for itself.....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,349 Posts
your right in ways but wrong in many. rooney is not consistant enough with his goal scoring. but that aint his fault. rooney is not an out and out striker. he is most effective behind the striker. he is a fantastic player in what he gives the club, the assists and moves he creates whilst covering the whole pitch in attacking and defensive ways. rooney is a fantastic talent and this should not be forgotten because he aint banging in goals like torres. because without rooney half of our goals this season wouldnt be there
 

·
Berbatov>Tevez
Joined
·
11,076 Posts
red_devils4life said:
Well, judging by ur username, it isn't that hard to tell....is it?? :rolleyes: :p
A Rooney hailing from Dubrovnik!! :eek: :D
actually I tried CROonaldo for my user name - but....it was too ordinary -he is one of my favourite players but the favourite ...? hm...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,207 Posts
Rooney's finishing is not great, so his overall play has to be...

Clarky101 said:
your right in ways but wrong in many. rooney is not consistant enough with his goal scoring. but that aint his fault. rooney is not an out and out striker. he is most effective behind the striker. he is a fantastic player in what he gives the club, the assists and moves he creates whilst covering the whole pitch in attacking and defensive ways. rooney is a fantastic talent and this should not be forgotten because he aint banging in goals like torres. because without rooney half of our goals this season wouldnt be there
The title of this post sums it up. Rooney's finishing was great last season, but overall it has always fluctuated between sublime and horrible. That is why his overall game needs to be so good. He adds so much to this team and I almost rate him higher than Ronaldo, but his passing yesterday was atrocious. Especially in the second half, when we had a fast counter attack and out-numbered the defence, his pass hit the backheel and chest of a defender. He also managed to convert a one-on-one situation with the goalkeeper. I htink even Andy Cole could have put that away. He had a poor game yesterday and I hope he visits a sports psychologist soon, because I think his performance is related to the state of his mind. The boy is just not achieving what a person with his talent could and should be achieving.
 

·
Moderator
Joined
·
23,699 Posts
As I have said, I am no Wazzamaniac or Whoevermaniac. For me, it is always CLUB over players.

But come to think of it, it is not too bad an idea to have strong detractors here as opposed to the mainstream. Suddenly the scene here becomes more vibrant and the atmosphere electrifying... ;) :D
 

·
Smeghead Moderator
Joined
·
13,664 Posts
Rooney is an exceptionally talented young man. His vision and creativity are World class. His close control of the ball is excellent and he can tackle, pass and shoot from long distance very well. His finishing is poor at times but his main problem, that blights the vast majority of young players, is his inconsistency.

He goes on barren runs in front of goal that can last over a month yet other times he'll be banging in one or two every game. All strikers suffer a dip in form from time to time but it seems to happen to Rooney a few times per season.

The injuries he has suffered will not have helped but if he can score 23 goals in a season when he's only on fire for half a season then imagine what he'll be capable of when he has continuous runs of form throughout a season.

I believe he has the potential to be World class but he isn't quite there yet.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,010 Posts
red_devils4life said:
United this season With Rooney
Games 16
Wins 13
Draws 3
Losses 0
Goals For 41
Average Goals For 2.56
Goals Against 7
Average Goals Against 0.44
Win % 81%
Points per game 2.62

United this season Without Rooney
Games 10
Wins 5
Draws 1
Losses 4
Goals For 9
Average Goals 0.90
Goals Against 7
Average Goals Against 0.70
Win % 50%
Points per game 1.60

The stats speak for itself..... THIS IS ALL WE NEED TO SEE! :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
303 Posts
Someone asked me who i would rather see on team sheet Rooney or Ronnie i wouldgo for rooney everytime he doesnt alwys score but the rest of his game is world class
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,242 Posts
just watched 15 mins of rooney goals on mutv , that answered all the questions.
the boy is a genius, also we have lost most of our games when wazza wasnt playing , that says it all
 

·
All round nice guy
Joined
·
3,887 Posts
"Giggs is 34, Scholes is 33, G.Neville is 33, Van Der Sar is 37 yet they are still at the club so what has age got to do with it."

If that was aimed at me, I was basically trying to say we weren't gonna get much more than 10m for a 30 year old.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,349 Posts
RedForceRising said:
The title of this post sums it up. Rooney's finishing was great last season, but overall it has always fluctuated between sublime and horrible. That is why his overall game needs to be so good. He adds so much to this team and I almost rate him higher than Ronaldo, but his passing yesterday was atrocious. Especially in the second half, when we had a fast counter attack and out-numbered the defence, his pass hit the backheel and chest of a defender. He also managed to convert a one-on-one situation with the goalkeeper. I htink even Andy Cole could have put that away. He had a poor game yesterday and I hope he visits a sports psychologist soon, because I think his performance is related to the state of his mind. The boy is just not achieving what a person with his talent could and should be achieving.
everyone is entitled to a bad game tho surely?

iv seen ronaldo have more bad games this season than rooney. we must remember them two are only human :D lol
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,814 Posts
red_devils4life said:
United this season With Rooney
Games 16
Wins 13
Draws 3
Losses 0
Goals For 41
Average Goals For 2.56
Goals Against 7
Average Goals Against 0.44
Win % 81%
Points per game 2.62

United this season Without Rooney
Games 10
Wins 5
Draws 1
Losses 4
Goals For 9
Average Goals 0.90
Goals Against 7
Average Goals Against 0.70
Win % 50%
Points per game 1.60

The stats speak for itself.....
Has he only played 16 games this season? how many goals is he on!?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
25,467 Posts
I can see why you have written this thread and for me its a toughie
to answer. Despite scoring 23 goals last season I thought he had a
poor enough season, as in his convertion of chances and ball control
at times. Even this season he has looked off the boil quite a bit,
missing chances etc...and he has been frustrating to watch......

But would I trade him in for any amount of money? NO
I think he epitomises what United are about. He may not score
every chance bt we need someone like him in the team every game.
His enthusiasm and aggression and will to fight for the team are
priceless qualities imo.

He creates so much and scores his share as well.
Im extremely happy he is a United player but we cant be too
critical. He is still young despite being around for ages, so he
still has his prime to look forward to. He will continue to develop
and get better. Confidence and injuries have played their part
as well let us not forget.

I think he could do much better but no defender in the World
likes playing against Wazza. He is one tough nut. And if you look
at his goals through the years, you can only but admire the skill,
beauty, creation and power of the young man.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10 Posts
Rooney's influence on this United team speaks for itself. When starting a game this season, United are unbeaten!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,740 Posts
Yes i agree with the comment above mine we havent lost whens hes played plus when hes been out we lose.
He may not score the goals but defenders fear him and his influence on the side is major.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,262 Posts
Let me just say that injury do help with his development. Everytime when he started to do well, he is either halted with injury or suspension and it took him longer than anyone else to get back to the form he was in before the injury. What makes him a little overshadowed is the fact that he is playing for manchester united where they are many quality players and where goals are expected from all part of the field so he might not be pressurised to scoring. Its extremely difficult dominating in a team with so much quality. But Rooney is not all about just scoring.

He scores important goals, is very unselfish which shows in his assists tally. He defends from the front, tracks back and defends extremely well and most important of all he brings out the best in his team mates. Let just say Wayne Rooney we are seeing now are turning himself into a team player.

However, I got to admit, Rooney's hunger to achieve, which was what he was known for seems to have dwindled quite a bit. When he first came he was giving everything he got, dribbling past defenders, coming deep to get the ball, chasing down opponent's keepers and defenders like he's a mad dog.He does not do those as often anymore. This can be attributed to his evolving role into a team player, conserving his energy to provide that spark for the team whenever possible, passing to a better placed team mate instead of running at defenders all by himself. It could also be because of the introduction of Tevez forcing him to play more forward. Personally, his changing role into a team player is the best thing that ever happened to any Manchester United fan and i have no complaint over that. Overated or not..im not going to swap him with anyone else. Never!:D
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
9,926 Posts
He is the catalyst of the team. His eagerness to win the ball back transcends to the
others and they follow suit, Anderson particularly. This boy is a hero in my eyes.
I'd be absolutely devastated if he were to leave! If I had to choose between
Rooney and Ronaldo, I'd go for Rooney every time, simply because of his brain,
passion and desire to do well! He's a perfect role model. Sure he doesn't grab as
many goals as Ronaldo, but who cares? Ronny gets our goals and Wazza
provides the bullets, as well as firing the odd master-stroke too. I can't believe
this is even being discussed, but Wayne Rooney is the best talent England have
produced for some time. If Michael Owen gets all this praise of being world
class.....then Rooney must be a world-beater. Also, he actually is noticed in the
big games. Ronaldo, quiet....

To answer the question, no, I don't think Rooney is overrated and to an extent
don't believe he gets the credit he deserves!
 
21 - 40 of 74 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top