Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
836 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
WAYNE ROONEY has been crowned the new King of the Stretford End at Manchester United after being handed the No 10 shirt.

Rooney wore the No 8 last season but he was given his new number in a ceremony yesterday.

Denis Law, the Reds' first ‘King' and most famous No 10, made the special presentation.

Striker Rooney, 21, said: “When I was offered the chance to wear the No 10 shirt I jumped at it. Some of the game's greatest players have become legends wearing No 10 — none more so than Denis Law.

“He was crowned the King of the Stretford End during his time at the club and it is a great honour for me to wear a shirt that has such history behind it.â€

The number went into retirement last season — hotshot Ruud van Nistelrooy wore the figure before he left for Real Madrid in July.

Old Trafford boss Alex Ferguson said: “There have been some wonderful footballers who have worn the United No 10 shirt — people who capture the imagination of our fans around the world with their skill and their goals.

“Wayne is the right man to carry on that tradition and I'm delighted Denis was able to pass on the mantle.â€

Law is second in United's all-time goalscorer's list with 237 strikes. Bobby Charlton tops the lot with 249 goals.

Rooney has 59 goals in 146 games.

Traditionally, the No 10 shirt has symbolised the player who makes everything tick for United.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Hargreaves will get the number 8 jersey like David Q said and Ferguson doesn't want to sign Michael Owen apparently so Richardson will surely keep 23. I suppose 12 and 17 will go to Nani and Anderson, although Nani has worn 32 for Portugal and might ask for it at United, which would mean Craig Cathcart gets a new number.

4, 14 and maybe 27 could become available if players leave as well so who knows really. Plus we've got Ben Foster, Jonny Evans, Danny Simpson etc. coming back form loans and most of them will need numbers.

·
Registered
3,139 Posts
Rooney will look good in the no 10 shirt, what you think:

Out of interest what does everyone think of lita not for united but in general?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts