Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Played very well again from the left. Set up the first and was a threat all game.
This isn't the first time he has played there either.
I was happy when I saw the team sheet today, with Berba, Rooney and Tevez.

With no real quality left winger, do you think its a good option to play Rooney on the left?
or would you rather see him in his normal position up front?
Discuss.

(will merge later)

·
Banned
27,712 Posts
Played very well again from the left. Set up the first and was a threat all game.
This isn't the first time he has played there either.
I was happy when I saw the team sheet today, with Berba, Rooney and Tevez.

With no real quality left winger, do you think its a good option to play Rooney on the left?
or would you rather see him in his normal position up front?
Discuss.

(will merge later)
personally i think he was put on the left instead of Tevez because Fergie didn't want two workhorses out wide(Tevez and Park) so he stuck Rooney out there to be more creative! he had a stormer today he really did but i dunno im half in half about if i want him out there TBH i think hes the best when hes running from deep and running at defenders he gets that out on the left but not as much if you get what i mean? he wont see as much as the ball as he would in the center!

im half in half at the moment good topic Jazz :thumbsup: maybe we could get a poll going because im sure this will cause a great debate :thumbsup:

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
personally i think he was put on the left instead of Tevez because Fergie didn't want two workhorses out wide(Tevez and Park) so he stuck Rooney out there to be more creative! he had a stormer today he really did but i dunno im half in half about if i want him out there TBH i think hes the best when hes running from deep and running at defenders he gets that out on the left but not as much if you get what i mean? he wont see as much as the ball as he would in the center!

im half in half at the moment good topic Jazz :thumbsup: maybe we could get a poll going because im sure this will cause a great debate :thumbsup:
I wouldnt know what options to put in:confused:

What I do know is that Rooney has GOT to be on the pitch, whether its upfront or off the left Im still unsure. He is currently a better option on the left than Park, Nani, Giggs, Tosic or whoever. When he plays there it means Tevez AND Berbatov can play, which imo strengthens our team. Its a tough one really but he sure played well there today...

·
Banned
27,712 Posts
I wouldnt know what options to put in:confused:

What I do know is that Rooney has GOT to be on the pitch, whether its upfront or off the left Im still unsure. He is currently a better option on the left than Park, Nani, Giggs, Tosic or whoever. When he plays there it means Tevez AND Berbatov can play, which imo strengthens our team. Its a tough one really but he sure played well there today...
yes or no :rolleyes: :rofl:

ya thats true!it also means that Ronaldo can play too :thumbsup: but the drawback is that would leave us with just Welbeck and Macheda as sub strikers! don't get me wrong there great prospects and i love Macheda now :laugh: but if were chasing a game will he come up with the good's every time and will he always have the impact say that Tevez or Berba would off the bench every time?

it's a difficult one but for until next season at least i think its the best option for us! then in the sumeer we can bring in a quality winger hopefully!

·
www.InTheFreeRole.com
5,268 Posts
Well, clearly he's good on the left, as you'd expect. But I just think the best thing for the team is to jave him in the middle. roaming where he can really influence the match and create things. I think we are better off having Rooney up top and playing Tevez on the wing.

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, clearly he's good on the left, as you'd expect. But I just think the best thing for the team is to jave him in the middle. roaming where he can really influence the match and create things. I think we are better off having Rooney up top and playing Tevez on the wing.
But he influenced the match today and he created things. Set up the first and had a big part in the second.

·
www.InTheFreeRole.com
5,268 Posts
But he influenced the match today and he created things. Set up the first and had a big part in the second.
Yeah no doubt he is still a danger on the left, but don't you think he is even more deadly down the middle?

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah no doubt he is still a danger on the left, but don't you think he is even more deadly down the middle?
I do think he is more 'deadly' down the middle, but if he plays down the middle then one of Tevez or Berba will miss out. Its kind of like he is being sacrificed out on the left, but its for the good of the team, which makes it a good option imo....doesnt it?
thats why Im making this thread.

·
www.InTheFreeRole.com
5,268 Posts
I do think he is more 'deadly' down the middle, but if he plays down the middle then one of Tevez or Berba will miss out. Its kind of like he is being sacrificed out on the left, but its for the good of the team, which makes it a good option imo....doesnt it?
thats why Im making this thread.
Well what do you think to the idea of maybe playing Rooney and Berba up top, with Ronaldo and Tevez on the wings?

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well what do you think to the idea of maybe playing Rooney and Berba up top, with Ronaldo and Tevez on the wings?
I think Rooney would be far more effective on the wing than Tevez.
So if all 4 were to play Id rather have Rooney and Ronaldo on the wings.

·
Banned
27,712 Posts
ya im on the same boat as Jazz on this one i would just feel better with Rooney out on the wing because i think Tevez would just be all hustle and bustle out there and if were going to have that we might aswell have park out there yano? i just think come the summer we need a world class winger either right or left and a midfield enforcer(if Hargo doesn't come back) and we will be almost unstopable IMO

·
www.InTheFreeRole.com
5,268 Posts
Really, hmm well you could just as easily say Rooney would be more effective upfront than Tevez. I think Tevez could do very well on the right wing in particular, and let Ronaldo play on the left. But whichever way it would work, I think we definitely should give it a shot, having the 'big four' on the pitch at one time.

·
Keen on Fella's
8,472 Posts
i think rooney offers us more from the left at this time when we really need a cutting edge on that side , he can beat his marker and put in decent crosses or cut inside and shoot from outside the box or generally cause all sorts of mayhem with his movement , the key to making this work and also keeping wayne happy is to make sure he gets to see plenty of the ball , he seems to get frustrated when he has to go looking for it.
i do think he is more suited and happier playing the second striker role , but at this moment he is our best option out on the left and given plenty of ball and a semi free role e can do serious damage from the left.

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
When i saw Fergie had Rooney on the left i didn't like the idea, but he played well, he is the only player performing, Rooney was allways a threat going forward, setup the first goal and should have had one himself, When Berbatov is fit it will be interesting if Fergie goes for Berba & Tevez upfront and have Rooney on the left and Ronaldo on the right.

·
Registered
4,025 Posts
I posted it in the other thread, but I will say it again, I think Anderson should be given a shot on the wing. With all his tracking back, he could be no worse than Park IMO (not a bad thing as Park does a fine job in big matches), but also looks for more attacking passes, and can dribble. Would be interesting to see, and now I think my preferred formation for next year might be...

_________VDS/Foster________
______Rio_______Vidic_______
Rafael__________________Evra
____Hargreaves___Scholes____
Ronaldo_____________Anderson
_______________Rooney______
___Berbatov/Tevez___________

·
Least popular Moderator
24,837 Posts
It depends on how much freedom he's given. Ih he is stuck firmly on the wing, like he was vs Liverpool at Anfield, then thats 80% of his talent wasted.

If he is free to roam about, interchange and but inside at every opportunity then yeah he can play there. He'll be better with a striker who can come out to the left when Rooney cuts in aswell, e.g Villa, Torres, Henry, Eto'o ect.

In a 4-3-3, Barca style formation he could do brilliantly, aslong as we have 2 deep lying centre mids like Carrick and Hargreaves (he's not a deep lying CM but he covers pretty much the whole pitch, defencively and offensively). Barca can get away with having just 1 DM (even he attacks) because they ALWAYS have the ball. Its much harder to retain possession in the Premiership as its so fast paced and intense.

Arguably Rooney's best game for United was when he played this role vs Arsenal in the 2005 FA Cup final where him and Ronaldo tore them apart (god knows how we lost).

Like I said in another thread, a 4-2-1-2-1 formation will suit him down to the ground.

---Hargo----Carrick---
---------Ando---------
CR7---------------Roo
--------Fast ST----------

Ignore the rest of the team as this is abouit Rooney, but that formation is right down Rooney's alley - Aslong as he isn't restricted in anyway, shape or form.

He'll have to stop tracking back though, which could ruin this idea.

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
He realy did well on the wing, and could definetely be an option. when needed. He can realy set up balls for other players in the box like Berba, Tevez, Ronaldo, and when're we're short of choices why not? he prooved many many times he's enjoing and doing he's job very well on the position. He also played on this position at the England national team, and did it realy well. I think that with a midfield like Hargo (when fit) and Carrick, Ronaldo on the right and Rooney on the left, Tevez and Berba upfront with Tevez being more a forward than a striker. it would realy be interesting to see.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
rooney played on the left because he can play anywhere on the field. he is an attacker on the field, every position in opponent half would suit him, but ultimately, he will not play on the left week in week out.

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
OMG! i had a thread about needing a quality player on the left-jazz you have taken my general idea and turned it into a rooney thread...i feel cheated and dirty inside

:) :)

as to your idea, rooney is a victim of his own flexibility being played out wide on the left,on the right, up front on his own etc.......just let the guy play his own nautural posistion has always been my contention as far as rooney is concerned

1 - 20 of 58 Posts