Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
9,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just head the pundits say on Setanta Sports after the Villa game that...

"..incidently, Rooney is out for that game..."

:confused::confused::confused:

Edit:

Looks like he is or else Fergie is playing majopr mind games?

Goal.com said:
According to a report emanating from Setanta.com, Wayne Rooney is a major doubt for Manchester United's FA Cup semi-final against Everton at Wembley on Sunday.

Apparently, the England international forward is struggling with a suspected metatarsal injury, although the extent of the problem is as yet unknown.

It is thought that 17-year-old Italian striker Federico Macheda, who has scored against Aston Villa and Sunderland recently, could start in place of Rooney in attack. These whispers have found particular foundation after manager Alex Ferguson revealed he will be resting players.

"When I pick my team on Sunday there will be critics voicing their concern about me not playing my strongest side," Ferguson remarked.

"We’ve got so many big games coming up, somewhere along the line I’ve got to make changes.

"There are some fans who’d like me to play my best team every game. That’s impossible."

·
23,699 Posts
BLOW FOR FERGIE AS ROONEY PULLS OUT

WAYNE ROONEY is out of tomorrow’s FA Cup semi-final amid fears he that has fractured a metatarsal for the third time.

Rooney was sweating on the results of a scan on the injury last night with Sir Alex Ferguson set to throw in Federico Macheda for his first start at Wembley.

Ferguson admitted that he would make changes after the midweek Champions League win over Porto – in which Rooney was seen limping briefly – with one eye on next Wednesday’s league game against Pompey.

And 17-year-old striker Macheda, who has scored in two successive substitute appearances, is poised to be one of the changes as Ferguson puts his remarkable unbeaten record in FA Cup semi-finals on the line. Ferguson has won all eight of his previous semi-final ties, with four going to replays, but he believes Everton could prove the sternest test yet with David Moyes desperate to underline seven years of impressive progress at Goodison Park by winning his first trophy.

He said: “David is building a big club, the evidence is there. They have a young squad that
will get better. The young players he has got allied to the ones he has brought in are all of a good variety. He has done a great job. “We are facing a very hungry team and manager because David has to win a trophy and he is feeling that way. This is a big opportunity for him."

Ferguson accepts he will be open to criticism if he doesn’t field his strongest team but argues that United’s overloaded fixture list means he has to rotate his players. He added: “This game is just as important as the Porto and Portsmouth games, simply because we don’t want any defeats. “That’s the difficult position I’m in. Because we’ve got so many big games, somewhere along the line I’ve got to make changes. Not everyone agrees with changes.”

Daily Express | Sport | Football

·
Banned
9,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'll take it this happened in the first half of the CL game in Portugal where he went on a decent run and lost it on the edge of the box. Credit to him for trying to run it off, but it may come to haunt him now.

**** I hate metartasles....

·
23,699 Posts
I'll take it this happened in the first half of the CL game in Portugal where he went on a decent run and lost it on the edge of the box. Credit to him for trying to run it off, but it may come to haunt him now.

It must be that instance. Hope it is not true. It would be his third. :eek:

·
There's Only One Darren Fletcher!
11,978 Posts
I think he is injured but I dont think that it is a metatarsal, at least during the Porto game cause he wouldnt have been able to carry on.

·
Registered
3,349 Posts

aye its not confirmed yet tho. fergie could be as he says just resting him

·
Banned
15,336 Posts
I actually thought as soon as it happened he had done his metatarsal. It was a very similar challenge to the challenges which injured his metatarsal against Chelsea and Reading. Hopefully he'll be fine, even if he has to miss the Everton and perhaps the Portsmouth game, because if he's out for a sustained period of time it'll be a massive blow :blink:

As someone said though, you would have thought if it was a fractured metatarsal he wouldn't have been able to continue.

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
I actually thought as soon as it happened he had done his metatarsal. It was a very similar challenge to the challenges which injured his metatarsal against Chelsea and Reading. Hopefully he'll be fine, even if he has to miss the Everton and perhaps the Portsmouth game, because if he's out for a sustained period of time it'll be a massive blow :blink:

As someone said though, you would have thought if it was a fractured metatarsal he wouldn't have been able to continue.
i also thought he had broke his foot and was totally amazed that utd let him play on , during the game he seemed to run the injury off and hopefully utd will just rest him and the injury isn't serious .

·
Pz
2,062 Posts
We need rooney to be fit for the final part of the season. He and ronaldo being on the pitch and their understanding is vital for us. :cool: We all know this already but we need them both playing together, it gives us goals and creates chances.

pz!:cool:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts