Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
WAYNE Rooney is aiming to become Manchester United's Ronaldo next season.

The England international insists United have not yet seen the best of him.

And after cutting his teeth as a more orthodox striker last season, he is confident the goals will flow as Sir Alex Ferguson's side set about the defence of their Premier League and Champions League titles.

With continued doubts over Cristiano Ronaldo's future, Rooney might just need to up his strike-rate.

The double footballer of the year has suggested he is ready to quit United, with Real Madrid determined to make him the highest paid player in the world.

Strides

That would leave United without their leading goal scorer for the past two seasons.

While Ronaldo hit an incredible 42 goals last term, Rooney weighed in with 18 in all competitions - at one point scoring just three in 12 appearances.

After growing up alongside the Portuguese international at Old Trafford, Rooney now hopes to emulate the huge strides Ronaldo has made over the past two years.

"Cristiano is unbelievable," he said. "What he's done for United in the last two years is brilliant. Playing alongside him makes you work hard. You always want to be the best and I think I can score a few more goals."

But Rooney has faced criticism in some quarters for not developing at the rate many expected when he burst onto the scene as a 16-year-old at Everton.

i think wazza can score 30 next season if he doesnt get injured and he has a supporting striker

·
Proto-Hipster
46,959 Posts
Rooney can score 25+ easily if he dont get injured
the next season is his season to prove that he is one of the most feared strikers
and to prove that he can be more deadly than ronaldo when he is fully developed
but getting injured may be a disaster and his morals by be down :(
but i hope he dont get injured
and as usual play good :)

GO ON WAYNE !

·
Banned
15,336 Posts
Tbh, I think next season will be Rooneys season.

Hes was great mid-season, but injuries have disrupted his season too much.

With a full pre-season under his belt, and hopefully no injuries next term, he will be back! :)

·
Registered
550 Posts
Rooney could have scored as many goals as Ronaldo last season if his finishing was better. That's all he needs to work on. He creates chances from nothing and then hits the ball wide or over.

Ole + Rooney = God

·
Banned
15,336 Posts
Hopefully, he'll be able to play off a main striker and we'll see him play to his best (although that would mean Tevez getting dropped, but n/m)

I don't know why people debate where his best position is. To me, its obviously off the front man.

·
Proto-Hipster
46,959 Posts
manutd004 said:
Hopefully, he'll be able to play off a main striker and we'll see him play to his best (although that would mean Tevez getting dropped, but n/m)

I don't know why people debate where his best position is. To me, its obviously off the front man.
if he is able to score goals and i hope he well
we wouldn't need a striker :)
and so we can buy a right back

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
i would love to see him as the top scorer, but i would not be worried at all if he does not do so.
i would be happy to see him on field, playing every match, and playing with a smile. people does not often recognise his contribution, but to me, he is the player to have in every team.

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
Personally, I think he can get 20 this coming season. If he's playing with Manucho or a new, yet unnamed striker, I imagine we'll start to see the real Rooney, kind of like when he was playing with Ruud.

·
Registered
736 Posts
if ronaldo leaves this summer than i will believe that rooney will be manutd top scorer...............but of ronaldo didnt leave than i think it will still happen but rooney will sccore 24 goal or lesser a season..........

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
I love Rooney, he is our best player, It looked like he was on fire until he had that stupid training ground injury, a whole pre season behind him and a few goals in the earlier games without an idiot like Dubery injuring him and he'll be on his way!

I think the FA cup game against Arsenal last year gave an idea of how amazing he can be, him and Tevez didnt really play as much together as I would have liked last year! I'm expecting big things from both this year!!

·
Registered
566 Posts
he is the heart and soul of manchester united. i believe he will definitely score loads of goals provided he plays in his preferred position (supporting striker) and stay away from injuries

·
Smeghead Moderator
13,664 Posts
At the start of last season I predicted that Rooney would be our top scorer. In the end, he was 3rd behind Ronaldo and Tevez.

He broke his foot at the start of the season so he may have finished ahead of Tevez if that hadn't happened but he'd never have caught Ronaldo.

What I was really hoping for was for him to improve on the 23 goals he got the previous season and, if he stays relatively injury free, I think he is capable of banging in 25 goals in the upcoming season.

·
Registered
169 Posts
we stll need another striker cos saha is basically crap and if rooney got injured,ronaldo went to madrid,what we left with then eh? just tevez

·
Pz
2,062 Posts
if tevez plays alot of the season...or as much as rooney, don't be suprised to see tevez scoring a bunch of goals either!!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts