Manchester United Talk banner

Rooney relief at finding the net

830 views 12 replies 12 participants last post by  scott 4 evra 
#1 ·
Wayne Rooney was delighted to end a six-game run without a goal, and a five-month wait to find the net at Old Trafford, with two goals against Aston Villa.

The Reds striker saw a couple of chances go begging and feared his barren spell was set to continue. But after striking twice in a hugely impressive 4-0 victory on Saturday evening, he revealed his relief that the wait was over.

"I'm very pleased," he told Setanta. "It's been a bit frustrating in the last few weeks.

"I had a chance just before I scored that I missed. I should have scored, and I felt like I wasn't going to score again. But I was delighted to get two goals in the end."

Rooney's goals may grab the headlines, but there wasn't a bad performance in a red shirt. Now with just six games to go in the race for the title, United are getter closer and closer to retaining the crown.

"It was a good game for us," he added. "Coming after international matches, it can be tricky. But we got two goals in the first half which settled us down, and then we got two more in the second half. It was a good performance all-round and a well-deserved win.

"Each game we get closer. But we have to keep playing our game and picking up the wins in every game. If we do that that will hopefully see us through."

See less See more
#4 ·
#5 ·
#9 ·
sweet fa said:
should be perfect timing for the champions league quest,rooney seems to score in batches so expect a few more in the coming games.by the way the team were superb against villa ,in that form they will win the league without a doubt.:)
Spot on mate! His timing could not of came at a better time! Lets hope he goes on those goal a game runs he did in November because then I would put my lifesavings on the EPL and CL double :D With Rooney and Ronaldo on form...no one and I mean no one can stop the great Manchester United! GLORY GLORY MAN UNITED!

#12 ·
Get used to it

Rooneys career will be littered with little episodes like this because he has so much vision.
Brilliant players with great vision have spells like this as they can forget to do the simple things as they are so caught up with trying to find something breathaking.

I think we're just gonna have to put up with these bouts of frustration, Its worth it to have such an amazingly talented all rounder. He's not a Centre forward, not a playmaker, not a target man but he's all of those things and more (and he can tackle too). We can accomodate him cos so many others can score goals. Tevez Rooney actually have a fairly impressive tally between them this season.

Also, its only a matter of time before Anderson starts knocking them in (and spraying excellent passes, making excellent tackles and dominating play as he does now)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.