Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Banned
9,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been hard on Rooney

Sir Alex Ferguson admitted last night: I have made life hard for Wayne Rooney.
The Manchester United boss consistently played his England hitman out of
position last season as the club won the Premier League and Champions League.
Fergie accepts the star’s goal tally suffered as a result. But now the Scot is ready
to turn Rooney into a major threat once more by using him as a central striker.
Ferguson conceded: “I think I have to take a bit of responsibility. He has
sacrificed himself and never complained about it, which says a lot for the lad. We
have to define his role a bit better for us. I think his best position is through the
middle, either in a front role or tucking in just behind. He can play either role very
well. He is aggressive, uses two feet, has good pace and the courage to go in the
box. There’s no reason why he can’t get a good supply of goals.
"

Janine Self, The Sun

-manutdtalk.com

Finally!...looks like no more left wing Rooney!

It will be great to see him back to his best position, where as Fergie says, just
behind the front man...

·
Registered
3,349 Posts
thing is tho, if we do sign a new striker and we play him up front with roon then where the hell is tevez gonna go, i mean i know with squad rotation and that but in big games would you really like the decision of picking out of rooney tevez and whoever else we bring in

cause i cant see tevez being moved to the wing. unless theirs a formation change ahead that fergies got in his hat

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
About time he admitted the mistake of playing Rooney out of position!
If he's not gonna play him in the correct role he's best left on the bench and brought on for 20mins and let loose, like Villa in the 3rd round last year, he changed and won the game

If we're gonna fit every1 in I think this formation could be good for goals...

................VDS

.........Back Four

Scholes ..... Hargreaves

Ronaldo ... Rooney ... Tevez

........Berbatov?

A lot of goals in that formation, brilliant for counters! obviously for the games we're expected to strole.. in tighter games I expect we wont be much different than last season, I expect you may even see Rooney and Tevez start on the bench in some tough European away fixtures... we'll see!!!

The great thing about bringing in Berbatov is we can change our whole approach with one sub, its been a while since we had that luxury.. I still want to see Rooney and Tevez linking up, we saw how good a partnership they were last season and it would be a shame to let that connection go to waste!

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
Clarky101 said:
you really think tevez will do well outwide tho? i think he'll be so more affective battling in the middle
Not necessarily in a wide role, the trio of Rooney Ronaldo and Tevez would essentially have a free role, Ronaldo would occupy the wings and Tevez and Wayne doing the damage through the middle, i think Tevez is definitely capable of playing wide if needed

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
CROoney said:
yesssss ! now the white pele will tag will be fullfilled
Definitely, in my opinion he is THE talent of the century, we should be building everything around Rooney, you wouldn play Cantona or Zidane at full back would you?!!

·
Berbatov>Tevez
11,076 Posts
eoininho said:
Definitely, in my opinion he is THE talent of the century, we should be building everything around Rooney, you wouldn play Cantona or Zidane at full back would you?!!
true...very true----but rooney has got something different to provide than those 2 stated...just like them he has the ability to provide a bit of magic but he also has the responsibility and determination in his defensive play

·
Registered
3,349 Posts
problem with the free role tho is that if you give it to too many players you cause a lot of congestion because your have 3 players running around doing their own thing. i think its fine to switch to wingers and then give rooney a free role in the centre. problem being tho is just im not sure about tevez on the wing, i get were your coming from, just worried that tevez will have a lack of his full potential out on wide. dont wanna see him dip after the season he had last year because he was sensational

·
GET YOUR HEAD OUT THE PUSSY CLOUDS & IN THE GAME
2,659 Posts
eoininho said:
About time he admitted the mistake of playing Rooney out of position!
If he's not gonna play him in the correct role he's best left on the bench and brought on for 20mins and let loose, like Villa in the 3rd round last year, he changed and won the game

If we're gonna fit every1 in I think this formation could be good for goals...

................VDS

.........Back Four

Scholes ..... Hargreaves

Ronaldo ... Rooney ... Tevez

........Berbatov?

A lot of goals in that formation, brilliant for counters! obviously for the games we're expected to strole.. in tighter games I expect we wont be much different than last season, I expect you may even see Rooney and Tevez start on the bench in some tough European away fixtures... we'll see!!!

The great thing about bringing in Berbatov is we can change our whole approach with one sub, its been a while since we had that luxury.. I still want to see Rooney and Tevez linking up, we saw how good a partnership they were last season and it would be a shame to let that connection go to waste!
You have left carrick out of the squad mate, i hope you do know carrick played in every single Champions League game last year....he's easily one of our best players...just a quite player like scholes

·
GET YOUR HEAD OUT THE PUSSY CLOUDS & IN THE GAME
2,659 Posts
..........vds

..........back Four

Ronaldo...carrick...scholes/anderson....nani

.................rooney/tevez
.....whoever We Sign/tevez

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
sean2689 said:
You have left carrick out of the squad mate, i hope you do know carrick played in every single Champions League game last year....he's easily one of our best players...just a quite player like scholes
I left him out of this formation as he isn't a better player than Scholes or Hargreaves and I'm only going with two Central midfielders, I'm also not the greatest fan of carrick, he can be very good but often v ordinary, not a patch on Scholes and never will be!

this is a formation that i feel could alow to fit in rooney, tevez and assuming berbatov into the same team,
you might see it in a handful of games, most games would be too tight for such a formation,

CROoney said:
true...very true----but rooney has got something different to provide than those 2 stated...just like them he has the ability to provide a bit of magic but he also has the responsibility and determination in his defensive play
your absolutely right!!
I honestly think his excellent attitude and willingness to do whatever has in many ways been his downfall and he's been the fall boy for the tighter formations rather than the selfish ronaldo who would track back unless there was a call girl in it for him!

·
Smeghead Moderator
13,664 Posts
Keano! said:
Finally!...looks like no more left wing Rooney!

It will be great to see him back to his best position, where as Fergie says, just
behind the front man...
That is great news.

He does a good defensive job on the left but he is a much more effective attacker when playing through the centre.

Fingers crossed he'll notch 25 goals in the upcoming season.

·
Proto-Hipster
46,959 Posts
this is the only right thing fergie have said since he said that ronaldo is staying
but i will not trust this
fergie will put rooney one the wing so the *** ronaldo score more

·
Registered
736 Posts
hopefully we will have a great memories in this upcoming 2008/09 season......................maybe we will have something more interesting and amazing than the treble...........

·
Pz
2,062 Posts
rooney being played out on the left is not that bad, he is pretty good there but on the right he is terrible. Anyway yes, he is better in the second striker role but thats no excuse for what happened last season. He had more than enough chances to have scored 35 goals even if he had been positioned as a CD.

Obviously the white pele tag is just british media hype and he plays nothing like pele but to me, if rooney ends up being as good as david villa, i think he will have filled his potential. As a second striker, villa is immense and works hard etc but his technique, vision and finished is top class too.

·
Banned
15,336 Posts
I don't have any doubts that Rooneys best position is behind the front man.

I also think he plays better behind a pacey front man, but that isn't exactly happening, so I'll just need to be happy with one.

Its great news though.

However, I don't agree that being played in different positions was why he didn't score as much.

He had plenty of chances to score. The only problem was he didn't take them..

·
MUT all-time great
21,962 Posts
I'd like to see Rooney and Tevez right behind Berbatov or whoever it is we end up signing, anyone getting that kind of service should score a million goals.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts