Manchester United Talk banner
21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
23,699 Posts
eurosport.yahoo

The Tantrums of Wayne

Running on Sky television at the moment is a show called Wayne Rooney's Street Striker. In it, England's principal footballing talent fronts a series of challenges designed to test the skills of the country's back street players.

As Rooney conducts his search, what a contrast there is between the presenter and the contestants, between the wannabes and the superstar. While they are all ****sure swagger and streetwise lip, he looks lost, a shy, self-conscious presence who appears to wish he were anywhere other than in front of a camera.

Compare that to his demeanour on Wednesday night at Old Trafford. There was no hint of the ingénue in need of an arm round the shoulder as Manchester United played out their dead rubber Champions League tie with Aalborg. It was almost impossible to reconcile him with his screen persona as Rooney flew into one of his moods, stamping and snorting and looking as if he might combust at any moment.

Midway through the first half he tangled in the centre circle with his opponent Kasper Risgard. The Dane's was a clumsy challenge, but Rooney's response was not that of the shy wall flower. As he climbed to his feet, the United forward appeared to thrust his studs into Risgard's chest.

It was a response not only inappropriate to the circumstance, it was potentially hugely self-destructive: right in the middle of the pitch there was every chance the referee would see and be obliged to flourish the red card. After all, this assault was significantly more violent in its intent than the hack at Ricardo Carvalho that saw him dismissed in the 2006 World Cup quarter final.

The ref, though, was following play and missed it. How he escaped the official's notice is something that the assessor's panel will no doubt address when they are presented with the visual evidence. The rumour emanating from Uefa is that retrospective action will be taken.

Aggression is an essential part of a footballer's armoury. Nobody succeeds in the hurly burly of the modern game by politely ceding possession. Every manager craves a player who will fight for the cause.

Alex Ferguson has had more than his fair share of those with a willingness to scrap. It was there in Mark Hughes, once sent off for kicking a Sheffield United player up the backside. It was there in Paul Ince and Roy Keane. And most of all it was there in the person of Eric Cantona.

The Frenchman made much mileage out of the manner in which two sides of his nature - the skilled magician and the intemperate thug - were in opposition. His claim was that you could not have one without the other: in order to deliver the skill, he had to play with a fire in his belly.

The problem too often with Cantona was that out of control fire compromised the skill: he could not help the cause when sitting in the stand serving a suspension. And so it is with Rooney. There is no question he is a wonderful player, whose skill and energy can transform a game. Not to mention his goals.

But he also has a propensity to anger which means this Saturday he will be absent from the fray at Tottenham. When the UEFA panel has studied videos of Wednesday night, the chances are he will be back watching from afar come the knock-out stages of the Champions League.

So what does Ferguson do to temper the player's temper without losing his spirit? He is now 23, too old for the claim that he will mature out of it. Something needs to be done. But you cannot lobotomise talent. And giving Rooney a dressing down might be pointless. As his screen persona indicates, the lad is so quiet off the pitch, he would simply agree with anything that was said the quicker to terminate confrontation.

The solution may lie in the most unlikely source. When Cantona returned from his record suspension served after assaulting a fan in 1995, he was never again even shown a yellow card, never mind a red. He played for 18 months without once allowing the fire to rage out of control. Subsequently he has said he was convinced every time he went out to play that he would erupt, and is sure that he would have done so eventually.

But the fact is, Ferguson's most temperamental player controlled his urges. Maybe he could help his successor, give the player practical advice from a position of strength. It is worth a try. Because if it is allowed to run unchecked Rooney's aggression can only ultimately hurt himself, an opponent and more to the point, his team.

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
Yes, he's hot headed. Yes he can lose the rag but thats what makes him Wayne Rooney.
Look at Keane and Cantona, the similarities are there. Obviously Rooney could
tone it down a bit, but his aggression and passion is what we love.

·
Banned
2,730 Posts
Jazz 16 said:
Yes, he's hot headed. Yes he can lose the rag but thats what makes him Wayne Rooney.
Look at Keane and Cantona, the similarities are there. Obviously Rooney could
tone it down a bit, but his aggression and passion is what we love.

Cant defend him that game jazz he was a loose cannon the problem with wayne is some games the anger is brought out in a good way and he is everywhere .

Then there is games like wednesday when he goes on the pitch with a bad attitude and just wants to hurt people .

The thing what I dont understand it was aalborgs big night we had something on the line but they were there for the occasion as it was a nothing match to them . So why he did what he did was beyond me .

Im a massive Rooney down but on wednesday night his action let the club down .

·
Registered
70 Posts
I reckon this is ********. The stamp was an accident, the flying kick was another matter but if they are only focusing on the supposed stamp, then na, not happening.

·
The Mexican Boy George
7,601 Posts
martinutd said:
Rooney should control his temper, because not only he's damaging himself but the whole team
agree, for gods sake the man is a professional. this type of behavior should not be tolerated in my opinion.

·
MUT all-time great
21,962 Posts
He seemed to be doing so well curbing his emotions. He had the fire, but kept from exploding on people/refs, this is a step back. :(

·
23,699 Posts
telegraph

Don't ban Wayne Rooney over stamping urges Old Trafford victim

Kasper Risgard, the Aalborg player who was left with stud marks on his chest after Manchester United striker Wayne Rooney appeared to stamp on him has urged Uefa not to ban him, as Sir Alex Ferguson accused the media of “creating†a story over the incident.

Ferguson refused to answer questions from the press on Rooney's temperament after questions were raised over the ugly scenes in United's 2-2 draw with the Danish side.

Rooney, who is unavailable to face Tottenham this weekend after amassing five Premier League bookings this season, faces a possible Uefa sanction after he appeared to stamp on Kasper Risgard, an incident that went unpunished at the time.

Risgard claimed Rooney apologised after the final whistle with the matter now closed, however some of the Aalborg player's team-mates and sections of the press have been more condemnatory in their assessment.

“I am not going to discuss Wayne Rooney,†said Ferguson.

“You press guys have created most of it. You are not getting anything from this club at all on Wayne Rooney. That is it, finished.â€

“It doesn't matter, I'm not caring. You play your part and don't kid on. Look I think you play a part. You sit there trying to come the innocent party.

“You know fine well the part you play in it. You're never off that phone, you're never off that phone to Uefa. It's finished.â€

With referee Laurent Duhamel failing to act at the time, Uefa will consider television pictures and, if they believe there is a case to answer, could suspend Rooney for up to five games in the knock out stages which begin in February.

Risgard, however, has urged the governing body to show leniency.

“I heard UEFA is looking at this but I don't think Rooney should be suspended,†said Risgard.

“I haven't seen the situation on TV yet as we had our Christmas party the day after the match but I can understand it looks bad on TV.

“It's what happens in intensive matches. Wayne came up to me immediately and apologised. I appreciated that. I have nothing against him.â€

For Fergie's almighty rant or rather, lack of, over Rooney, watch the same link: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/fo...-over-stamping-urges-Old-Trafford-victim.html

·
Registered
3,139 Posts
I think he didn't mean to stand on the player, its football the tackles used to be much worse years ago. Send these ref's to some sunday footy then no tackle they ever see in the prem will be bad lol! If rooney gets a ban that's just a complete joke!

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Rooney cleared over Risgard incident:)

Manchester United striker Wayne Rooney will not face any disciplinary action over an apparent stamp on Aalborg's Kasper Risgard last week.

Manchester United striker Wayne Rooney will not face any disciplinary action over an apparent stamp on Aalborg's Kasper Risgard last week.

European governing body UEFA decided not to charge Rooney after studying video evidence of the incident in the clubs' 2-2 Champions League draw on Wednesday.

Aalborg midfielder Risgard claimed Rooney should have been sent off after "jumping" on his chest and leaving marks on his body.

Rooney could have faced a suspension for part of the knockout stages had UEFA decided to take action.

A spokesman said: "UEFA will not open any disciplinary proceedings against Wayne Rooney."

Source

·
Banned
15,336 Posts
Great news. I was fearing the worst, but this is certainly good news for us and Rooney.

But hopefully this will be a warning for him.

·
Registered
2,610 Posts
manutd004 said:
Great news. I was fearing the worst, but this is certainly good news for us and Rooney.

But hopefully this will be a warning for him.
What will be a warning for him? Twas an accident;) Lol Nah seriously, hopefully he calms down a bit but he will never be completely tame, its who he is. Good news though, especially considering our scoring form at the moment.:)

·
Smeghead Moderator
13,664 Posts
Thank goodness for that. I was fearful that UEFA would make an example of him, as the FA seem to have done with Evra.

·
Banned
15,336 Posts
Toybos said:
What will be a warning for him? Twas an accident;) Lol Nah seriously, hopefully he calms down a bit but he will never be completely tame, its who he is. Good news though, especially considering our scoring form at the moment.:)
Well, I never seen the incident so I don't know whether it was an accident or not. ;)

But I just meant that hopefully UEFA looking at the incident and the worry of a potential ban looming over him, depending on UEFA's conclusion, will calm him down. True, if Rooney lost most of his fire he wouldn't be the player he is.

However, he does step over the line quite regularly, and he needs to calm down. At times when he loses his rag he could/should be sent off (e.g, when he goes jumping two-footed into reckless challenges.)

21 - 40 of 42 Posts