Manchester United Talk banner

Rooney sweats on Uefa decision

2K views 41 replies 24 participants last post by  Rooneys_Temper 
#1 ·
Man Utd star Wayne Rooney could find himself in trouble with Uefa for his lunge on Kasper Risgard in Wednesday night's UEFA Champions League clash with Aalborg.

Rooney, who scored United's equaliser in the 2-2 draw at Old Trafford, also gained some unwanted attention for a second-half tackle that floored Michael Jakobsen.

The England star could find himself in hot water for the incident before the break involving Risgard.

If Uefa decide to punish Rooney over the clash he could be handed a ban or fine.

Risgard revealed Rooney apologised to him for the tackle and he felt he striker was lucky to escape a red card.
Big marks

"I do not think the referee saw it. Anywhere else but this place it would have been a red card," said Risgard.

"I have some big marks and I do not think it looks good on television.

"There was also another incident with Rooney where he threw an arm and hurt one of our players.

"But these challenges happen in football and he did come and apologise to me after the game."

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11945_4622898,00.html

See less See more
#3 ·
Bit naughty a few times last night there was the challenge when he got pushed so he decided it was ok to stamp the guys calfs lol!!

then there center half is pushed for closing him down Rooney was crazy last night and I wouldnt be suprised if he did get a ban sometimes he is a mad man !

#6 ·
scott 4 evra said:
I think Rooney gets away with murder. How he has only been sent off once is madness. Same goes for John Terry, I think the big England players get special compensation from referees. anyone else notice this?

Terrys tackle on Sagna the other week was a disgrace and no one even said anything two footed did anyone else see it ?

#12 ·
Uefa will study video evidence before taking any action against Wayne Rooney for his controversial challenge on Aalborg's Kasper Risgard.

The incident occurred during Manchester United's UEFA Champions League clash with the Danish outfit on Wednesday.

Risgard accused Rooney of 'jumping at my chest' and leaving 'big marks' on his body during the 2-2 draw at Old Trafford.

Match officials took no action against the England international striker on the night, but the matter has now been passed on to European football's governing body.

A Uefa spokesperson said: "We are aware of the incident and the disciplinary panel will study the footage and newspaper reports before deciding whether to take action."

Any retrospective action could see Rooney ruled out of crunch encounters in the knockout stages of the competition.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11095_4625705,00.html

#14 ·
I am not too interested in what other players from other clubs do that go undetected.

Don't want to come across as a Rooney basher but just speaking facts: Rooney does have this undesirable and impulsive habit of committing this sort of subtle offences especially when he is frustrated and the referee is not looking.

Any censure meted out for such brainless antics is really unnecessary, stupid and detrimental to our ambitions. He surely can't be unaware of this invention called video camera?

#15 ·
why is it that rooney gets away with it on this forum ppl fink he is a god if ronaldo had done it he would have been slughted by u guys its not like this is just a one off insident with rooney he has done loads off stupid stuff like this in the past and no im not deefending cr-7 eaither but jeez cant slag one player off fort it and get on his back and not another i never have rated rooney as much as everyone else i would off rather seen rudd van nistleroy stay than rooney i just fink he is propper hyped up to something he is not tevez and berba are far more better i do fink rooney has got lazy to he dont run as much as he used to eaither he used to chase everything like teves does but for some reason he has not done so this seasion as much

#17 ·
Didn't see it so can't comment.

However, Rooney does have the tendency to lose his head and it happens far too often imo. We were sitting here a couple of years ago saying that Rooney had calmed down a lot, but this last 6 months - 1 year he looks like hes gone backwards in this aspect.

I'm not Rooney bashing, as I do like Rooney. I'm just saying it as it is imo.

versa said:
I am not too interested in what other players from other clubs do that go undetected.

Don't want to come across as a Rooney basher but just speaking facts: Rooney does have this undesirable and impulsive habit of committing this sort of subtle offences especially when he is frustrated and the referee is not looking.

Any censure meted out for such brainless antics is really unnecessary, stupid and detrimental to our ambitions. He surely can't be unaware of this invention called video camera?
I agree with this. Good post.

#18 ·
ksportz said:
Trouble is he didn't get booked so UEFA can re-visit the video.. If ref takes action at the time the UEFA can't do nowt..
Although he deserves to be punished as it was pretty bad what he did, I don't see this as trouble, i see this as a good thing. He probably should get in trouble but for Uniteds sake i'd rather he didn't.

#20 ·
What the hell? He was taken down and lost his footing. If you slide into a tackle like whatever-the-hell that guys name is that get stepped on, you are gonna get a knock most of the times. The other time, if the ref doesnt let the player run down Rooney's calf, he doesn't push the guy off him.

#22 ·
eurosport.yahoo

The Tantrums of Wayne

Running on Sky television at the moment is a show called Wayne Rooney's Street Striker. In it, England's principal footballing talent fronts a series of challenges designed to test the skills of the country's back street players.

As Rooney conducts his search, what a contrast there is between the presenter and the contestants, between the wannabes and the superstar. While they are all ****sure swagger and streetwise lip, he looks lost, a shy, self-conscious presence who appears to wish he were anywhere other than in front of a camera.

Compare that to his demeanour on Wednesday night at Old Trafford. There was no hint of the ingénue in need of an arm round the shoulder as Manchester United played out their dead rubber Champions League tie with Aalborg. It was almost impossible to reconcile him with his screen persona as Rooney flew into one of his moods, stamping and snorting and looking as if he might combust at any moment.

Midway through the first half he tangled in the centre circle with his opponent Kasper Risgard. The Dane's was a clumsy challenge, but Rooney's response was not that of the shy wall flower. As he climbed to his feet, the United forward appeared to thrust his studs into Risgard's chest.

It was a response not only inappropriate to the circumstance, it was potentially hugely self-destructive: right in the middle of the pitch there was every chance the referee would see and be obliged to flourish the red card. After all, this assault was significantly more violent in its intent than the hack at Ricardo Carvalho that saw him dismissed in the 2006 World Cup quarter final.

The ref, though, was following play and missed it. How he escaped the official's notice is something that the assessor's panel will no doubt address when they are presented with the visual evidence. The rumour emanating from Uefa is that retrospective action will be taken.

Aggression is an essential part of a footballer's armoury. Nobody succeeds in the hurly burly of the modern game by politely ceding possession. Every manager craves a player who will fight for the cause.

Alex Ferguson has had more than his fair share of those with a willingness to scrap. It was there in Mark Hughes, once sent off for kicking a Sheffield United player up the backside. It was there in Paul Ince and Roy Keane. And most of all it was there in the person of Eric Cantona.

The Frenchman made much mileage out of the manner in which two sides of his nature - the skilled magician and the intemperate thug - were in opposition. His claim was that you could not have one without the other: in order to deliver the skill, he had to play with a fire in his belly.

The problem too often with Cantona was that out of control fire compromised the skill: he could not help the cause when sitting in the stand serving a suspension. And so it is with Rooney. There is no question he is a wonderful player, whose skill and energy can transform a game. Not to mention his goals.

But he also has a propensity to anger which means this Saturday he will be absent from the fray at Tottenham. When the UEFA panel has studied videos of Wednesday night, the chances are he will be back watching from afar come the knock-out stages of the Champions League.

So what does Ferguson do to temper the player's temper without losing his spirit? He is now 23, too old for the claim that he will mature out of it. Something needs to be done. But you cannot lobotomise talent. And giving Rooney a dressing down might be pointless. As his screen persona indicates, the lad is so quiet off the pitch, he would simply agree with anything that was said the quicker to terminate confrontation.

The solution may lie in the most unlikely source. When Cantona returned from his record suspension served after assaulting a fan in 1995, he was never again even shown a yellow card, never mind a red. He played for 18 months without once allowing the fire to rage out of control. Subsequently he has said he was convinced every time he went out to play that he would erupt, and is sure that he would have done so eventually.

But the fact is, Ferguson's most temperamental player controlled his urges. Maybe he could help his successor, give the player practical advice from a position of strength. It is worth a try. Because if it is allowed to run unchecked Rooney's aggression can only ultimately hurt himself, an opponent and more to the point, his team.

#24 ·
Jazz 16 said:
Yes, he's hot headed. Yes he can lose the rag but thats what makes him Wayne Rooney.
Look at Keane and Cantona, the similarities are there. Obviously Rooney could
tone it down a bit, but his aggression and passion is what we love.

Cant defend him that game jazz he was a loose cannon the problem with wayne is some games the anger is brought out in a good way and he is everywhere .

Then there is games like wednesday when he goes on the pitch with a bad attitude and just wants to hurt people .

The thing what I dont understand it was aalborgs big night we had something on the line but they were there for the occasion as it was a nothing match to them . So why he did what he did was beyond me .

Im a massive Rooney down but on wednesday night his action let the club down .

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.