Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Banned
Joined
·
4,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Rio Ferdinand states the now obvious: "Carlos Tevez and Wayne Rooney form a
devastating partnership."

What have we read? Rooney and Tevez are too similar; both like to drop deep,
both are fast, agressive and skilful but not good enough in the air as a
consequence of their lack of height. They both need a real goalscorer who
can get behind defenders, pundits claimed.

Well, on the basis of the last two games, it's total bollocks. They were
outstanding against Wigan and totally demolished Aston Villa. The way they are
interchanging each other's position is totally unpredictable and it's looking like
they already know where the other will be when one decides to pass.

If two players of such astonishing quality can form a real partnership... that could
be deadly and my optimism is increasing. Rio Ferdinand is apparently feeling the
same way.

'Wayne is in the groove and he is one of those who gets goals in spurts. He is
one of those who goes on a mad goal spree.

'Wayne is definitely capable of getting 20 odd goals this season. He did it last
season and I'd put money on him to do it this season if I was a betting man.

'Top players always bounce back from setbacks. We had a setback in midweek
with England and, as a top player, Wayne came back strongly for us.'

I won't say 'I told you so'...ooops, I just did that. But I do not wish to push myself
into the limelight: let's hear Rio's opinion about Carlitos.

'Carlos gets in the holes between the midfield and the defence of opponents and,
if he can keep doing that and slipping the ball through to Wayne, they will
continue to be a formidable pairing.

'It is fantastic for us to have Wayne and Carlos. The myth about the two of them
not being able to play together ... was finally put to bed against Villa.'

Hopefully it was. Though I expect that after a below-par performane that myth
will be told again...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,139 Posts
Yeah but most pundits talk utter bollox anyways, tevez and rooney will be awesome, they will all be eating there words! :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,270 Posts
rooneyNo10 said:
Yeah but most pundits talk utter bollox anyways, tevez and rooney will be awesome, they will all be eating there words! :)

True, but what people can't expect is Ruud Van Nistelrooy, Solskjaer stuff. Won't happen for goals! 50+ goals between them or something!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
249 Posts
They are good together they can play 1-2s & go through the defence they only need to concentrate then they would score too many goals.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
59 Posts
The only thing that worries me about Tevez is those one-on-ones he missed yesterday. :-/

But I really think he rocks my socks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,423 Posts
2 games doesn't prove they have a great partnership, although they played well against villa and wigan they was given loads of room to play where as the games before that the teams sat deep and they couldn't break them down, let's judge this partnership in a few months when they have come up against some top teams
 

·
Smeghead Moderator
Joined
·
13,665 Posts
They are already starting to develop an understanding, which is a promising sign, but andycole9 is right - let's not get carried away. It's still very early in the season and both players will inevitably have blips and periods of poor form. Let's just hope these periods are at different times and that Saha can play enough games to lighten the workload.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
25,467 Posts
reddwarf said:
They are already starting to develop an understanding, which is a promising sign, but andycole9 is right - let's not get carried away. It's still very early in the season and both players will inevitably have blips and periods of poor form. Let's just hope these periods are at different times and that Saha can play enough games to lighten the workload.
Well said. Im hoping Saha gets back to form. If he's fit and banging in the goals he will need to start. Those 3 strikers are integral to our season.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
836 Posts
Remember the treble winning days of when we had 4 really world class strikers, Andy Cole, Dwight Yorke, Teddy Sheringham and Ole Gunnar Solskjaer? And when they used to fit into the team perfectly when they were constantly subbed.

Can you compare that to Wayne Rooney, Carlos Tevez, Louis Saha, and oh wait, we haven't got a fourth striker?

If I was Ferguson, I'd say that we need to buy a top notch striker in the January transfer market. United need more competition in those places. We have less strikers than we do midfielders and defenders.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
25,467 Posts
GeordieMancunian said:
Remember the treble winning days of when we had 4 really world class strikers, Andy Cole, Dwight Yorke, Teddy Sheringham and Ole Gunnar Solskjaer? And when they used to fit into the team perfectly when they were constantly subbed.

Can you compare that to Wayne Rooney, Carlos Tevez, Louis Saha, and oh wait, we haven't got a fourth striker?

If I was Ferguson, I'd say that we need to buy a top notch striker in the January transfer market. United need more competition in those places. We have less strikers than we do midfielders and defenders.
Agreed. if we could pick up Huntelaar or even Anelka in January we would have 4 top class strikers.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
156 Posts
yes it works as Rooney linked up well with Tevez and came away with two goals on his name . . i hope saf keeps this partnership going between these and i am sure something will come in the long term
 

·
has been served
Joined
·
2,949 Posts
Makes me laugh. Barca play 3 near identical strikers (Messi Etoo Ronaldihno Henry Dos Santos etc) and they won the CL. How are we not meant to succeed when we have 2 similar strikers playing together?
 
1 - 20 of 39 Posts
Top