Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Rooney's talk of the ton

IT could be a case of Many Happy Returns twice over for Wayne Rooney in the next 72 hours.

The United striker is aiming for a double celebration starting with his 23rd birthday tomorrow - and following it up by becoming a first-team goalscoring centurion on Saturday at Everton of all places.

Rooney scored his 99th career senior goal against Celtic on Tuesday night in the Reds' 3-0 Champions League win setting up a "sweet" moment against the Toffees at Goodison Park on Saturday when he could reach his ton.

It all began as a 16-year-old in the blue colours of his boyhood heroes six years ago with two League Cup goals atWrexham.

Eighteen days later teenage Rooney hit the headlines with a Premiership debut Goodison wonder goal against reigning champions Arsenal.

And the red-hot United hitman can think of no better arena in which to make it 100 goals.

"It is always nice for any player to score 100 goals," said Rooney.

Pleasing

"If I can do that back at Everton, where I started, it would be really pleasing.

"If I do score at Everton, whether it was my first or my 100th, it would be really sweet. It is a big game for the team and myself, for obvious reasons, I am looking forward to it.

"It doesn't feel like six years since I made my Premier League debut. I remember Alan Stubbs telling me to try and enjoy it because it goes quicker than you think. It has flown by.

"I just want to try and enjoy every game and every season as much as I can because before too long it will be over."

Rooney is on a high with nine goals in seven matches for United and England.

"I would hope to get into the 20s. The season before last I got 23 and then I went down to 18 last year. I would be really disappointed if I did not top that next season," added Rooney.

So what are the secrets of his latest goal-fest?

"I haven't got a clue what has changed. I am just scoring goals!" he said.

Attacking

"I think I am starting to play a lot higher up the pitch. Maybe I am attacking defenders a bit more than I was, which I am really pleased with.

"I have always been allowed to attack players. The manager never stops you from doing that and trying to create things in the opposition half.

"Obviously, when you score goals you get more confident and try different things. I am starting to run at defenders a bit more and commit them a bit more.

"In front of goal I might have become a bit more selfish as well although I am still putting the work in for the team."

Rooney's burst of scoring for United has coincided with the £30.75m arrival of Dimitar Berbatov. "Everyone knows about Berbatov. He links up play really well. His touch is brilliant. He creates his chances," said Wayne.

"He gets in positions that gives you a bit more space on the ball. He is settling in really well. We have a lot of top class strikers here. You have to be at your best to stay in the team."

Rooney is hoping this weekend may prove crucial in United's title assault.

"We are not too far away from Chelsea and Liverpool if we win our game in hand," said the striker.

"If we can stay there and maybe creep up on them this weekend with a win at Everton when they play each other and stay around the top four for Christmas, hopefully we can go on from there."

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/manchester_united/s/1074239_rooneys_talk_of_the_ton

·
23,699 Posts
Found this from another forum. Must declare..

1. Bobby Charlton = 249
2. Denis Law = 237
3. Jack Rowley = 211
4. George Best = 179
5. Dennis Viollet = 179
6. Joe Spence = 168
7. Mark Hughes = 163
8. Ruud Van Nistelrooy = 150
9. Stan Pearson = 148
10. Ryan Giggs = 145
11. David Herd = 145
12. Paul Scholes = 139
13. Tommy Taylor = 131
14. Brian McClair = 127
15. Ole Gunnar Solskjaer = 126
16. Andrew Cole = 121
17. Sandy Turnball = 101
18. Joe Cassidy = 100
19. George Wall = 100
20. Bryan Robson = 99
21. Lou Macari = 97
22. Cristiano Ronaldo = 94
23. David Beckham = 85
24. Eric Cantona = 82
25. Wayne Rooney = 80/81? Anybody?

Z

·
0 Posts
versa said:
Found this from another forum. Must declare..

1. Bobby Charlton = 249
2. Denis Law = 237
3. Jack Rowley = 211
4. George Best = 179
5. Dennis Viollet = 179
6. Joe Spence = 168
7. Mark Hughes = 163
8. Ruud Van Nistelrooy = 150
9. Stan Pearson = 148
10. Ryan Giggs = 145
11. David Herd = 145
12. Paul Scholes = 139
13. Tommy Taylor = 131
14. Brian McClair = 127
15. Ole Gunnar Solskjaer = 126
16. Andrew Cole = 121
17. Sandy Turnball = 101
18. Joe Cassidy = 100
19. George Wall = 100
20. Bryan Robson = 99
21. Lou Macari = 97
22. Cristiano Ronaldo = 94
23. David Beckham = 85
24. Eric Cantona = 82
25. Wayne Rooney = 80/81? Anybody?
Rooney scored 17 goals for Everton and so far has 82 for Manchester United.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wayne_Rooney#Statistics

1 - 9 of 9 Posts