Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Banned
11,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sir Alex Ferguson will not rush Wayne Rooney back into action as Manchester United target a dream Double.

The England international aggravated a hip injury during the 2-1 defeat by Chelsea at Stamford Bridge last weekend and sat out the UEFA Champions League semi-final victory over Barcelona in midweek.

That set up a showdown with Avram Grant's side in the Moscow final on 21st May, with the Blues now only behind United in the title race on goal difference with two games remaining.

Despite the tight nature of the title race, Ferguson feels it is far more important that Rooney is available for the European showpiece at the Luzhniki Stadium.

And he has full confidence in utilising his Old Trafford squad over the three games which will define their season, starting at home to West Ham on Saturday, live on Sky Sports 1 and HD1.

The Scot told Sky Sports News: "It's vital that he's fit for the Champions League final, that's of major importance. We want to make sure he's available for that.

"We're not rushing him, we're not forcing the situation. We'll make sure he is 100 per cent when he does play.

"The squad has done fantastically well, I have nothing but great pleasure in having a squad as good as that has given us a great chance."

Ferguson paid tribute to the atmosphere generated at Old Trafford against Barca on Tuesday night, insisting the fans played a major part in helping the team reach the final, and is hoping for more of the same against the Hammers.

He said: "Winning the game on Tuesday night has given us the biggest boost of all. I may not even need to do a team talk, I'll let the fans do that, they've been fantastic.

"Hopefully we can win the match which will help us go a long way towards winning the league.

"I don't think there's been an atmosphere like that in the ground in my time. There's been great atmospheres and European nights.

"But that's the first time we've won a European semi-final on our own ground in the second leg."

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
as much as respect as we shld pay towards west ham and wigan, we will have absolutely no problem to win against them without rooney.
just make sure he will be match fit in the final at moscow.

·
Banned
76 Posts
no rooney in moskva no cup for united. he must come back very quickly i think for united to win the epl. west ham is crap but wigan is bad place to play with a cow field for the pitch.

·
Banned
9,926 Posts
He'll start against West Ham and be taken off round the 60 minute mark hust to make sure he's ok.

I'm sure he'll score within the next few weeks! ;)

·
Smeghead Moderator
13,664 Posts
sianluvsunited said:
wigan is bad place to play with a cow field for the pitch.
:D

True, but United should still be able to beat Wigan. It's the same for both sides and if it means Wigan resort to long balls I'm sure our defence will cope well enough.

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
I think the two league games are more than winnable without him , we need him fully fit for moscow so please fergie dont risk him

·
Thank you Sir Alex
5,528 Posts
We have enough fire power to win against West Ham and Wigan. Hope Fergie has a fully fit squad to choose from in Moscow.

·
Registered
4,828 Posts
Sorry folks, but if we drop points to West Ham because we are concerned about player fitness for a game that is over two weeks away, that is sheer lunacy.

If players cannot play because of injury, fine.

But we must play the best team we have available against both WH and Wigan. Anything else would be ridiculous. :confused:

·
Davey baby chips 'n' gravy
4,055 Posts
OK, rush Wayne Rooney back for tomorrows game, he could very well make his injury worse and WORSE YET he misses the rest of the season. Of course it would be best if Rooney played tomorrow but We can definitely beat West Ham with the squad that beat Barcelona. I would like to see him fully fit for the Wigan and Chelsea game, than still stuggling.

·
Registered
4,828 Posts
Davey said:
OK, rush Wayne Rooney back for tomorrows game, he could very well make his injury worse and WORSE YET he misses the rest of the season. Of course it would be best if Rooney played tomorrow but We can definitely beat West Ham with the squad that beat Barcelona. I would like to see him fully fit for the Wigan and Chelsea game, than still stuggling.
I did not say that we should 'rush' wazza back. What I did say is that we must play the best team available. The WH game is now the biggest game of the season because we haven't played our best team in the last few PL matches.

We haven't won anything yet!

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
he doesnt need to rushed back..........we need him for the finals..
we have to play tevez up front alona and give ronaldo a rest if need be.......
but we must play everyone else against WHU and wigan..

·
Registered
376 Posts
marty davidson said:
Sir Alex Ferguson will not rush Wayne Rooney back into action as Manchester United target a dream Double.

The England international aggravated a hip injury during the 2-1 defeat by Chelsea at Stamford Bridge last weekend and sat out the UEFA Champions League semi-final victory over Barcelona in midweek.

That set up a showdown with Avram Grant's side in the Moscow final on 21st May, with the Blues now only behind United in the title race on goal difference with two games remaining.

Despite the tight nature of the title race, Ferguson feels it is far more important that Rooney is available for the European showpiece at the Luzhniki Stadium.

And he has full confidence in utilising his Old Trafford squad over the three games which will define their season, starting at home to West Ham on Saturday, live on Sky Sports 1 and HD1.

The Scot told Sky Sports News: "It's vital that he's fit for the Champions League final, that's of major importance. We want to make sure he's available for that.

"We're not rushing him, we're not forcing the situation. We'll make sure he is 100 per cent when he does play.

"The squad has done fantastically well, I have nothing but great pleasure in having a squad as good as that has given us a great chance."

Ferguson paid tribute to the atmosphere generated at Old Trafford against Barca on Tuesday night, insisting the fans played a major part in helping the team reach the final, and is hoping for more of the same against the Hammers.

He said: "Winning the game on Tuesday night has given us the biggest boost of all. I may not even need to do a team talk, I'll let the fans do that, they've been fantastic.

"Hopefully we can win the match which will help us go a long way towards winning the league.

"I don't think there's been an atmosphere like that in the ground in my time. There's been great atmospheres and European nights.

"But that's the first time we've won a European semi-final on our own ground in the second leg."

But did he "make sure" against Chelsea?..............

1 - 20 of 21 Posts