Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 20 of 83 Posts
Z

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
David Beckham became the most capped outfield England player of all time on Saturday with with 109 caps.

When he was the same age as Rooney (23 years, 5 months) he only had 19 caps. Rooney already has 49!

If he manages to stay fit then he'll easily surpass Beckham in my opinion and become an England legend as well as a United legend.

And for those who think his goalscoring record is poor, he scored his 21st England goal against Slovakia on his 49th cap, Michael Owen needed 50 caps to do the same :cool:

·
MUT all-time great
21,962 Posts
Rooney should captain your side since he's one of the few who actually care about it.

He's a throwback to the England my old coach talked about, when players would die to pull the 3 lions on.

Z

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Zuco, I do hope you're not seriously comparing Rooney to Owen as goalscorers.
As goalscorers for England, yes. Rooney has scored the same number of goals as Owen, in one less game, I'd say that makes them very comparable.

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
people tend to forget how young rooney is because he broke into the everton first team at 16 i for one cannot wait to see him at the age of 27 at his peak.
He will break beckhams record if he stays clear of injuries and no younger and better players come along., this record takes some achieving so fair play to becks , a true united great

·
United's masseuse
6,296 Posts
If there is one player that i would like to surplus Becks number of caps, then i only want it to be Wayne Rooney. Disagree all you want, but there's no way Michael Owen can be near Wayne`s class even when he was at its best. Wayne Rooney will provide England something no one else did before, of course, it has to be with the right squad - Gerrard, Beckham and Wayne - The English squad can`t do without those 3.
Back to Rooney overtaking Becks, 2010`s World Cup will be a huge boost concerning his caps. Unfortunately, i don`t see Capello making Becks an automatic choice for his first 11 even tho he should. Last match proved that, as without him we were pushing the opponent`s defence and tho we managed to bag one goal, for our work rate we deserved something more than that. And Becs provided that. But anyways, that Italian guy is the manager not me, i can only hope he gets it right.

Even tho the team failed to excel in the last worldcup, that squad was perfect for me as it had quality in it but they didn`t have that compatibility with each other. Now I must say, that somehow Capello is improving this, just look at Saturday`s match. Brilliant, it really repays my trust in those lads.

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
I hope he retires from international football early (doubt he will) like Scholes, UNITED>ENGERLAND!

Becks is going to hopefully make the world cup squad and I hope he beats Shilton's all time record, he deserves it!

·
United's masseuse
6,296 Posts
I hope he retires from international football early (doubt he will) like Scholes, UNITED>ENGERLAND!

Becks is going to hopefully make the world cup squad and I hope he beats Shilton's all time record, he deserves it!
If you don`t like international football then that`s okay, but to hope for an early retirement .. It won`t happen, fortunately Wayne Rooney is very passionate about his country; and to the contrary to what people say, I cannot see a single negative thing about the Internationals. Injuries? Some players got injured just by trying to reach a remote control (David Seaman) or, while brushing their teeth (Alan Mullery). So, no excuses :D

·
Registered
19 Posts
he will get his 50th cap this wednesday, and hes only 23.
He has also missed alot of games through injury and few through suspension i think.

·
Smeghead Moderator
13,664 Posts
Rooney will surpass Shilton's cap record and Charlton's goal scoring record imo. His form in the last few internationals has been outstanding. He is so vital for England and will be for many years to come.

·
www.InTheFreeRole.com
5,268 Posts
Its a shame Beckham hasn't passed Shilton by now because that clown Steve Maclaren dropped him.

I've said for a long time Rooney will break all the England records, good on him too. Who knows maybe in a few years could take over from John Terry as captain?

·
Registered
3,017 Posts
I'm sure he will easily beat Beckhams record.. Not sure how many shilton has, but if he stays fit he can break all the records.. He's gonna get his 50th cap on Wednesday at 23 and he's already had a few injuries that have stopped him getting more caps.. What a talent and thank god he's a United player..!

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
personally can see rooney overtakin becks and his record but still wouldn't put my house on it what with injury, form etc.

remember when people were saying exactly the same thing about owen- that went tits up in the end

·
Banned
9,926 Posts
I remember sitting in a hotel room watching him banging them in for England in the Euros...

...Fair play to the lad...

PS. Whats a cap these days? It could be a cameo 2 minute appearance in a friendly...

·
Banned
9,511 Posts
Rooney has the potential to be the greatest player that England has ever had. Unfortunately, I feel Fergie has blocked his progress by playing him everywhere to keep the two arrogant ***** happy.

Rooney should captain your side since he's one of the few who actually care about it.

He's a throwback to the England my old coach talked about, when players would die to pull the 3 lions on.
Rio should captain the side, but it's that **** Terry that does :rolleyes:

·
Smeghead Moderator
13,664 Posts
PS. Whats a cap these days? It could be a cameo 2 minute appearance in a friendly...
Or it could be 2 minutes on the pitch in which you score the winner...

That's why they have to count any time on the pitch during the game as a cap. Although perhaps they could introduce a rule like 'you have to touch the ball at least once' :D

1 - 20 of 83 Posts