Manchester United Talk banner
21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
Stephen said:
What a shame that England's greatest talent this century is being wasted at the greatest club in the world.

No wonder he can't perform for his country, when he hasn't played in his correct position as "the hole" for his club since Saha was a regular.

What a talent. What a waste.
Rooney will be back playing in the hole soon and will be back to his best.
We all know he will play anywhere for the good of the team and we have to
admire him for that, but he will be back playing up there sooner rather than
later cos we know its not going to work him playing on the left or right.

·
Least popular Moderator
24,837 Posts
The problem for Rooney is that vs the so called 'big teams' we don't play with an 'in the hole' striker.

Most teams, including us, often use this formation in the bigger games:

--------------------CM---------CM----------CM----------------------

---RF-----------------------------------------------------------------LF--

---------------------------------ST---------------------------------------

Roony doesn't play his best in any of those postions, but the problem is that a lot of the time you have to play 3 in the middle to prevent your midfield from being run over.

Yesterday at times we did play a 4-4-2 with Roone and Anderson on the wings, but for me the problem wasn't Rooney playing there, it was that he played at all.

I know most people here will jump on me for saying that but although I think Rooney is one of, if not our best player, his recent form had left a lot to be disired.

I would rather have had Giggs or Nani start the match, preferably Giggs, but then the question would be who out of Rooney and Tevez would play in behind Berbatov?

On recent form I would go with Tevez. IMO thats why Fergie put Tevez in the hole and Rooney on the wing rather than the other way around. Why put our most in-form player out of position when we can put someone who's played poor for us out of postition?

Thats why I don't think Rooney should have started yesterday.

·
Registered
6,605 Posts
I can see someone coming in for him sooner rather than later. He is not giving us the promised return and I don't know if its Wayne or Fergie's fault, but, for the great player he is, he isn't doing it for us.

·
Banned
292 Posts
I have to wonder how much longer Wayne Rooney will tolerate being used as a spare part and a utility player in the Dirk Kuyt mold. He is not being treated with respect, and his talent is being wasted at our club. Of course I am a big Manchester United supporter, but I am also a patriotic England supporter and I want to see him in great form for England. If Fergie continues to use Rooney in this way then I would prefer if he went to another club where his talent is respected,and where he will play in his natural position in every match and return to the player that he was.

·
Registered
5,167 Posts
Red Devil said:
I can see someone coming in for him sooner rather than later. He is not giving us the promised return and I don't know if its Wayne or Fergie's fault, but, for the great player he is, he isn't doing it for us.
Who would that be then? Can't see us selling him to an English big 4 club. Can't see him moving abroad either.

It ****es me off where we play Rooney. We should be building the team around him.

·
Banned
9,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Rooney can't, and won't, go anywhere else.

He's too good to play for anyone other than a champions league challenger, and we won't sell him to the other "big 3". City can do one too.

His style of game won't last anywhere else in Europe either.

He needs to get back in form to play. Not shoved out wide to accomodate other forwards.

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
He's gotta be played behind Berba or not at all... its so frustrating seeing him on the wing... being on the bench for a while might do him good... putting him into a game in his proper position from the bench will give him a chance to prove how good he is !!!

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
RichardsReds said:
Who would that be then? Can't see us selling him to an English big 4 club. Can't see him moving abroad either.

It ****es me off where we play Rooney. We should be building the team around him.
Absolutely right everything should be done to accommodate Wayne!! he is THE talent of his generation... I would be devastated if he left us I would have to consider how much i love the club if he left! Fergie please play him in the position he was born to play in like you promised you would!!

·
Pz
2,062 Posts
He has played most of the season in the middle of the park upfront.....whether he drifts or not is his own doing.

As for the liverpool match, he was played out of position because ronaldo was not available imo and fergie i guess did not trust giggs/nani in a big match.

Anyway when rooney is playing great, it will be of his own doing and when he is not doing great, it will be his fault too imo. I think people need to stop blaming fergie for how he has played him but rather rooney for how he has played when given the chances (which is most of the time) in his favoured position.

Rooney needs to give fergie reasons as to why he should be playing in the 'hole' so to speak by giving amazing performances...Thats the only way.

Pz

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
Rooney had a great first half today and looked very lively but why the **** does
he keep popping up at Rb, Lb, on the wings and in midfield. Cmon Wayne....
Though he looked up for it tonight he just wasnt in those crucial attacking positions.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Yea totally agree. Even when he got the ball in forward positions it was out
wide! We go mad when Fergie plays him out wide yet when he is put up front
he ends up wide more than through the middle where we all know he's most
effective!! Get him in the team beside Berdatov versus Chelsea and let
him work off Berba through the MIDDLE!!

·
Stretford Ender
2,270 Posts
is it rooney straying or is it fergie giving him instructions.

either way it needs sorting. you dont see one of torres-keane, drogba-anelka, adebayor-van persie coming back to help out in wing back positions. leaves us very short when trying to play it up top and allows teams to push on slightly.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
he too nice
always trying to pass it on so someone else can score need to be a bit more gready and think about him slef thata the only way helll gt 15-20 goals a season

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
It was quite annoying to see Rooney continuously prop up all over the pitch, but he just wants the ball that badly and is one of the few who always wanted the ball.

His team mates need to step up, give him the confidence that he's going to get service and Fergie needs to tell him to keep staying in the centre of the park. Then we might start seeing the best of Rooney.

We also need Michael Carrick back to get some distribution of the ball.

·
Banned
9,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
To be fair, I don't mind Rooney straying to the wings.

Henry used to do this (probably still does, but dont watch Spanish football) at Arsenal. And he was one of the greatest players on the planet.

Rooney at wing back can be annoying but I feel this only happens after the opposition counter attack from our corner. Because Rooney can hit them he lurks on the edge of the box (with Scholes if he plays), and as it gets cleared he sprints back to help out the players who stayed back (remeber the two centre halfs will still be in the opposite box!).

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
Stephen said:
Henry used to do this (probably still does, but dont watch Spanish football) at Arsenal. And he was one of the greatest players on the planet.

!).
There is a big difference between the two players though.
Henry would come in off the left and just burn past everyone with his pace
and curl a shot into the far corner. He was the best. He only came to the left to
get free of his markers (the centre backs).
I cant see Rooney running past multiple defenders a la Henry or Ronnie.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.