Manchester United Talk banner

Rooney?

2K views 38 replies 24 participants last post by  Dazza 
#1 ·
What a shame that England's greatest talent this century is being wasted at the greatest club in the world.

No wonder he can't perform for his country, when he hasn't played in his correct position as "the hole" for his club since Saha was a regular.

What a talent. What a waste.

G
#2 ·
Indeed, it's a shame Fergie isn't sensible enough to play with a 4-4-2 with Rooney or Tevez playing off Berbatov, because any fool can see that's where he flourishes. he made a mistake with his formation today and i hope he changes the system for the home game against Villareal. Pick Tevez OR Rooney but NOT BOTH.

#5 ·
While I'll admit he hasn't been as good over the last couple of seasons, I've seen him say in interviews that he is happy to be a team player. Ronaldo outshines him so he takes his position. Simple.

I'm a fan of my club before my country so if this means Rooney is sacrificed then so be it, we've been most successful with Ronaldo as the main play-maker instead of Rooney.

#8 ·
Because I'm DC said:
While I'll admit he hasn't been as good over the last couple of seasons, I've seen him say in interviews that he is happy to be a team player. Ronaldo outshines him so he takes his position. Simple.

I'm a fan of my club before my country so if this means Rooney is sacrificed then so be it, we've been most successful with Ronaldo as the main play-maker instead of Rooney.
Me too (Club > Country). I was only using England to back up my argument.

Rooney adds NOTHING to the team playing out on the right.
MUFC loses a major part of the team when Rooney is out wide. (this was proved when every game Rooney weren't playing in, we lost!)

Why play Wayne Rooney (a sensational centre forward) out of position, putting him out of the game, to commodate two other strikers. Leave one on the bench.

Or even Tevez out wide. He's more apt to play out there than Rooney.

Rooney's talent is being wasted.

He was meant to be the best player in the world now. But, in reality, he struggles to get into the top 20.

#10 ·
The game was lost in our tactics...if we got the tactics right we could of left with 3 points easily. Maybe this will be a lesson for the entire season? Perhaps Fergie realises that Ronaldo needs to play out right (or any winger in that matter; Nani, Park etc..) and Tevez/Rooney need to be rotated as supporting strikers?

G
#11 ·
sparkic said:
The game was lost in our tactics...if we got the tactics right we could of left with 3 points easily. Maybe this will be a lesson for the entire season? Perhaps Fergie realises that Ronaldo needs to play out right (or any winger in that matter; Nani, Park etc..) and Tevez/Rooney need to be rotated as supporting strikers?
Again, if not for the two defensive mistakes we'd have won the game. So it was lost in those two errors, NOT the tactics.

G
#14 ·
Stephen said:
That doesn't matter.

We played crap.
If we play like that next week then Chelsea won't need mistakes to win then.

What would you say then?
I'm not saying I enjoyed the formation and tactics, I'm just saying that it wasn't the tactics that cost us the game, it was the silly errors. We probably will lose at Chelsea next week, that's not me being a pessimist but Chelsea have been almost unbeatable at home for about four years.

If we dominate the game but lose because of defensive errors, is that Fergie's fault too. My point is that mistakes can happen at ANY time, regardless of how the team is playing.

#15 ·
Stephen said:
That doesn't matter.

We played crap.
If we play like that next week then Chelsea won't need mistakes to win then.
Spot on. We were awful today, all over the pitch. The back four were ok but didn't look too comfortable on the ball. Our midfield was overrun and it was the same old same old with regards to the forwards. Since when have Man Utd resulted to long balls up from the defence 10 minutes into a second half?

The team showed a real lack of passion and organisation today. I don't think we had a leader on the pitch and the players had no plan b to break down Liverpool. No variety in our play.

Liverpool deserved the win, and by a bigger margin imho. They were hungrier, had their tactics right, and went for the game.

#16 ·
We need some more grit in midfield. I suggest we play Rooney in place of scholes as an attacking midfielder. I woud like to see how something like this works out

--------------------------------VDS---------------------------------

Brown-----------Ferdinand-----------Vidic----------------Evra

Fletcher/Ronaldo-----Carrick/Hargreaves-------Nani/Giggs

-------------------------Rooney/Anderson-----------------------

-------------------Tevez/Roney-----Berbatov-------------------

#19 ·
I am sick and tired of hearing Rooney, being a team player, should thus be prepared to play or be deployed in whatever position for the sake of the team.

For goodness sake, let him play in his best position that would benefit the team the most - even if he is willing or feels obliged to do otherwise. Likewise for any other player.

But I still doubt even if it was so (or the formation is right), we would have won the match if:

1. Our will and hunger are lacking as compared to our opponents.

2. We made silly errors at the back.

3. We are overrun in central midfield.

4. We concede too many possessions cheaply.

5. We don't build, string and link up our play but employ the worst option, the Route One approach.

6. We are pressed constantly instead of pressing constantly.

Ultimately, after all the preparation and tactical formations, it is really down to the team's performance. Nothing more the management can do on the pitch.

#20 ·
Route one approach.

I stressed about this to some members in the summer over them wanting a big target man. We have this in Berbatov, and results us in playing route one.

And if Berbatov here affects Rooney in a bad way, then I would of prefered it if we kept Campbell and Saha! Seriously.

#21 ·
Stephen said:
What a shame that England's greatest talent this century is being wasted at the greatest club in the world.

No wonder he can't perform for his country, when he hasn't played in his correct position as "the hole" for his club since Saha was a regular.

What a talent. What a waste.
Rooney will be back playing in the hole soon and will be back to his best.
We all know he will play anywhere for the good of the team and we have to
admire him for that, but he will be back playing up there sooner rather than
later cos we know its not going to work him playing on the left or right.

#22 ·
The problem for Rooney is that vs the so called 'big teams' we don't play with an 'in the hole' striker.

Most teams, including us, often use this formation in the bigger games:

--------------------CM---------CM----------CM----------------------

---RF-----------------------------------------------------------------LF--

---------------------------------ST---------------------------------------

Roony doesn't play his best in any of those postions, but the problem is that a lot of the time you have to play 3 in the middle to prevent your midfield from being run over.

Yesterday at times we did play a 4-4-2 with Roone and Anderson on the wings, but for me the problem wasn't Rooney playing there, it was that he played at all.

I know most people here will jump on me for saying that but although I think Rooney is one of, if not our best player, his recent form had left a lot to be disired.

I would rather have had Giggs or Nani start the match, preferably Giggs, but then the question would be who out of Rooney and Tevez would play in behind Berbatov?

On recent form I would go with Tevez. IMO thats why Fergie put Tevez in the hole and Rooney on the wing rather than the other way around. Why put our most in-form player out of position when we can put someone who's played poor for us out of postition?

Thats why I don't think Rooney should have started yesterday.

#24 ·
I have to wonder how much longer Wayne Rooney will tolerate being used as a spare part and a utility player in the Dirk Kuyt mold. He is not being treated with respect, and his talent is being wasted at our club. Of course I am a big Manchester United supporter, but I am also a patriotic England supporter and I want to see him in great form for England. If Fergie continues to use Rooney in this way then I would prefer if he went to another club where his talent is respected,and where he will play in his natural position in every match and return to the player that he was.

#25 ·
Red Devil said:
I can see someone coming in for him sooner rather than later. He is not giving us the promised return and I don't know if its Wayne or Fergie's fault, but, for the great player he is, he isn't doing it for us.
Who would that be then? Can't see us selling him to an English big 4 club. Can't see him moving abroad either.

It ****es me off where we play Rooney. We should be building the team around him.

#26 ·
Rooney can't, and won't, go anywhere else.

He's too good to play for anyone other than a champions league challenger, and we won't sell him to the other "big 3". City can do one too.

His style of game won't last anywhere else in Europe either.

He needs to get back in form to play. Not shoved out wide to accomodate other forwards.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.