Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/blog/2009/jan/15/rooney-berbatov-tevez-manchester-united

Wayne Rooney's injury gives the Berbatov-Tevez pairing a chance to strut its stuff

Norman Whiteside was never quite "the new George Best" while the headlines labelling Terry Venables as "the new *Duncan Edwards" seem more ridiculous now than they did in 1958. However, *Manchester United's immediate future rests on two men labelled "the new *Cantona". Sir Alex Ferguson has compared at least four of his strikers to the mercurial Frenchman but this awkward mantle has been one the United manager has consistently attempted to place on the shoulders of Dimitar Berbatov and Carlos Tevez.

With Wayne Rooney likely to be absent for the best part of a month, much depends on how well these two Cantonas start together – something they have done only half-a-dozen times. Rooney will not miss any stand-out fixtures – although Upton Park, where United go on 8 February, is a venue that has inflicted more pain on Ferguson than almost any other. But, as Chelsea discovered when taking on Fulham and Southend without their suspended captain John Terry, lesser fixtures are sometimes the most dangerous.

The chances that came their way against Wigan on Wednesday night summed up the strikers' contrasting styles. Tevez, put clean through, pounded towards the keeper, Chris Kirkland, his face contorted by effort and determination, and ended up flat on his stomach. Berbatov struck languidly from the edge of the area with the outside of his boot and the ball drifted just past the post. It was like comparing a bludgeon from Ian Botham's broadsword bat with a David Gower cover drive. It might be a perfect combination.

Berbatov is not as loved as Tevez and Rooney at Old Trafford, perhaps because he does not hurl himself into a game as they do – although, like his one-time team-mate at Tottenham, Robbie Keane, the Bulgarian is a forward whose effectiveness improves as a season nears its business phase. Of the 52 goals he scored in his last two full seasons, 38 came after the beginning of December.

"When you pay a lot of money for a player, he invariably comes underclose scrutiny," Ferguson said. "It happened to Juan Veron and Rio Ferdinand, and *Dimitar has also suffered the impatience of people when a new guy makes a big move. At Tottenham he orchestrated most of their play and, if at times he has looked a bit isolated, it was because our players needed to adjust to him as much as he needed to learn our ways. I have a feeling we are about to see the best of Berbatov."

Tevez is more obviously like Cantona, not just in his rapport with the Stretford End but in his habit of scoring crucial, often desperately late, goals. This season is one that is already carrying echoes of United's epic pursuit of Newcastle in 1995-96. The Liverpool side they chase have, like Kevin Keegan's team, precious little collective experience of winning championships, a home crowd whose passion is not always helpful and are led by a manager Ferguson can get at mentally.

In 1996 Manchester United won the title with seven 1-0 victories in the closing three months of the campaign and in five of those matches it was Cantona who scored the decisive goal. One-nil victories are becoming United's foundation for this campaign – they have been outscored by five Premier League clubs this season.

Tevez's goal at Stoke on Boxing Day was typical of his contribution last season in that it was late and decisive. At Blackburn and Spurs last year, he salvaged a draw at the death; against Liverpool and Birmingham his was the only goal. Berbatov, apart from his goal in the 1-0 over Middlesbrough, tends to score in landslide wins.

Part of Cantona's appeal was his sense of separateness and there is something of that about Tevez, particularly his refusal to have plastic surgery for the scars he sustained when boiling water was knocked over him as a child. "They make me who I am," he remarked.

Critically, Ferguson said Cantona was curiously short of self-confidence. "He needed nourishing," Ferguson recalled. This does not appear to apply to Tevez, who has seemed bewildered by United's inability to offer him a contract with his loan deal expiring inside six months.

Last summer, the chief executive David Gill claimed a new contract for the Argentine was a priority but in recent interviews, Tevez suggested this had changed. United have five months to nourish him or see him go with the same suddenness as that with which Cantona took his leave.

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
it's gonna be interesting to see them both play together , if tevez is fit, but for the sake of the club let's all hope they'll do great together. I don't care who is the new cantona, i don't even believe in this thing. Cantona was Cantona, now there is Tevez and only Tevez, and the same for Berba.

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
I'm quite glad he's injured as I really want to see Tevez playing each week, and with about 6 fixtures coming up whilst Roo is injured it should be great :) Shame he was in great form when he got injured (as per usual) I think Berba-Tevez could really work. Hopefully Tevez will be declared fit tomorrow and we'll be able to watch them play a full game together tomorrow :)

·
Banned
27,712 Posts
CarlitoTevez said:
Would be great if this PartnerShip Gels together. We will See Tomorrow Hopefully.
ya so u better be fit :D :p !
seriously though i hope hes fit and if hes not i thjink we should give young welbeck a chance and not play giggs or scholles as a second striker when ever hes played hes done well and he deserves his chance plus i think this is gonna be a game where weregoing to have to break them down and i think we will need a striker who stays up top and thats what welbeck does so would be the ideal game for him imo

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
Nemanjaaa said:
I'm quite glad he's injured as I really want to see Tevez playing each week, and with about 6 fixtures coming up whilst Roo is injured it should be great :) Shame he was in great form when he got injured (as per usual) I think Berba-Tevez could really work. Hopefully Tevez will be declared fit tomorrow and we'll be able to watch them play a full game together tomorrow :)
i would've liked more if berba was injured :p. Rooney and Tevez know each other more:p Let's hope they'll get on well tomorrow if Tevez will play.

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Nemanjaaa said:
Can't believe you;re glad Roo is injured :eek:

Teve - Berba could work, but Tevez has got to stop trying so hard and also gotta learn to play with everyone. In past games he looked reluctant to pass to Ronaldo and berba.

·
Banned
15,336 Posts
cantos red army said:
ya so u better be fit :D :p !
seriously though i hope hes fit and if hes not i thjink we should give young welbeck a chance and not play giggs or scholles as a second striker when ever hes played hes done well and he deserves his chance plus i think this is gonna be a game where weregoing to have to break them down and i think we will need a striker who stays up top and thats what welbeck does so would be the ideal game for him imo
I agree with that.

With Berbatov dropping deep, we need another natural striker/frontman playing up top with him and not someone more suited to be a second striker. I also don't particularly like Giggs playing up top.

As for the "new Cantona" tag, it's getting a bit boring for me now :rolleyes:

·
Registered
4,025 Posts
manutd004 said:
As for the "new Cantona" tag, it's getting a bit boring for me now :rolleyes:
You are just bothered by it cause you are the only one that hasn't been referred to as the "New Cantona" :rolleyes: :D :p

·
Registered
93 Posts
What kind of MU fans are these who are happy about someone injured!
Actually do you have something human in you!?!
Now I really hope Tevez to change club according with these haters who aren't MU fans

·
Registered
734 Posts
Tevez the new Cantona??? i think not. Berba is way more similar great touch and a cool head.
I just hope these 2 do the job the next few weeks i hope that Tevez doesnt try and be overly greedy and try to do things on his own to try and prove a pint to Fergie.

·
I'm so gorgeous they want to arrest me
8,772 Posts
One was a sulky, gifted footballer renowned for his deft touch, visionary play and mastery of the ball, the other is… well, exactly the same. However, Dimitar Berbatov says that comparisons to Manchester United great Eric Cantona are too much for him to bear so early in his career at the club.

The Bulgarian has seen his style likened to that of the enigmatic Frenchman, whose legend has been well and truly carved into Old Trafford folklore following his trophy-laden time at The Red Devils in the 1990s.

Despite the flattering similarities that have been highlighted between Berbatov and Cantona the former says he wants to create his own legacy at United, and that such comparisons are far too premature.

“It’s not good to be compared to a legend, as it brings more pressure,” Berbatov was quoted as saying in the Sun.

“I have my own style, I play my own way.

“I want to be known for that, rather than the comparison to be made.

“And there is no comparison. I have a long way to go.”

One thing the pair do not share is a price tag. Cantona cost United a paltry £1.2 million from Leeds when he joined in 1992, whereas Berbatov was the subject of a much-publicised £30.75m transfer fee last summer.

The former Tottenham man has seen some critics question the value he has provided for that fee, with his impact at United having been termed as nowhere near as effectual in relation to his cost.

However, United boss Sir Alex Ferguson says he has been highly impressed with Berbatov’s acclimatisation to his side’s system.

Ferguson said: “I am delighted with the way things are going and I am especially pleased by Dimitar’s progress in settling into the team.

“I have the feeling that we are about to see the best of Berbatov.”

The player himself admits that the change in playing style from that at Spurs has taken some getting used to, but he is enjoying his newfound role nonetheless.

“The football we play at Manchester United is changing positions, going backwards with the ball, playing up front. Everybody can score,” he said.

“I like to play at the front but I also like to play further back sometimes, to play with the ball, to be the man who creates the attack. Occasionally, I even prefer to make assists rather than to score goals.

“That makes me enjoy myself, making the game with my passes and my vision.”

Berbatov continued: “To be part of this team, coming from where I come from, a small country, is great for me.

“In two years at Tottenham, I achieved a lot. But I have moved on and this is the biggest club in the world. Last season United won both the Champions League and the Premier League. Yet I missed it. Now I am here and I want that too.”

United face Bolton on Saturday, and Ferguson has pinpointed the coming games as a crucial run-in in his side’s defence of their title.

“This is probably a bigger month coming up now than April,” said the Scot.

“Looking at the run-in, and how many injuries I have at the moment, these next few weeks are probably the most important period for us.

“For the Everton game on February 2, (Wes) Brown and (Rio) Ferdinand will be back. The following week, (Patrice) Evra and (Wayne) Rooney should be back. We should be approaching the middle of February with the full complement of players.

“That’s why this period up until then is vital, the crunch, particularly when you have top players out.

“We just hope we can find a way of getting Evans on that pitch at Bolton.”

http://www.setanta.com/ie/Articles/...m-Berbatov-on-Cantona-comparisons/gnid-35830/

·
Registered
736 Posts
Bolton will face the first combination of Tevez-Berbatov......But i'm not going to expect something really big...But every time they played together Tevez scored.....

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
kidwon said:
What kind of MU fans are these who are happy about someone injured!
Actually do you have something human in you!?!
Now I really hope Tevez to change club according with these haters who aren't MU fans
You have a good point.

It's really over the top to wish your own player is injured. Even I don't wish that on darren Fletcher ;)

·
Registered
93 Posts
This expectations with "The new Cantona" can bring someone disappointment only.
I don't think that Berbatov is similar to Cantona! I mean even when looking at them it's obvious moreover their behavior is different. Being honest Cantona is more brave, responsible and manlike, he's a leader!
Berbatov's qualities are different, however that isn't wrong

1 - 20 of 20 Posts