Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is he a forward who plays behind a striker ? Is he a striker himself ? Or do you see potential in him playing out wide or in midfield ?

I personally think he is a typical striker and he has all the attributes to make him the best striker there is. Strong, quick, two footed, great vision and great movement. He certainly isnt the worst holder of the ball either and he's decent in the air.

Many have been saying that he's been playing out of postion with Tevez as his postion is behind a front man rather than being one, but I disagree. I think that he can do both jobs, but I really see those strikers instincts in him. His finishing is improving by each season and for me, he is going to be the best striker in the world once he settles into the position.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
I argue with myself on this quite a bit. One day he looks better as just a forward, the next he's 100% striker...

Rooney is Rooney, period. He does what he wants, and he's da... good at it ;)

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Depends on hw u wanna call it...in my sense,i think he performs best as a 'supporting striker' or a 'deep-lying forward'.

Below r the definitions for these two terms-

Deep-lying forwards:They are a second striker, a compromise between the two positions where the player acts as a link between midfield and attack. Although usually not very tall, their playing style is regarded by critics as creative in attacking, assisting many goals as well as scoring themselves, as opposed to just "goal poaching''. Because of their great technical ability, accurate passing skills and impressive vision, deep-lying forwards have also been positioned as a slot behind the centre-forwards.Whatever the terminology, the position itself is a loosely-defined one somewhere between the out-and-out striker and the midfield. Such a player is either a skilful, attack-minded midfielder or a striker who can both score and create opportunities for centre forwards. Widely-known former deep-lying forwards include Pelé, Diego Maradona, Zico, Roberto Baggio, Eric Cantona, Dennis Bergkamp and Ferenc Puskas. Current notable deep-lying forwards are Alessandro Del Piero,Carlos Tevez,Wayne Rooney,Zlatan Ibrahimovic & Francesco Totti.

Centre-forwards:The centre forward, or an "out-and-out" striker, is normally the principal goal-scorer of a football team. Centre forwards act predominantly as "targets" or the focal point of an attack.Some centre forwards are goal poachers who work in and around the penalty box to snatch goals and who are sometimes referred to proverbially as a "fox in the box". Another group of centre forwards are known as "target men" and are usually of above-average height, with good heading ability. They hold the ball up and bring other players into the game, scoring from crosses, often with the head, and use their body strength to shield the ball while turning to score. Centre forwards with exceptionally towering figures and accurate heading abilities also make great "target men". Current notable centre-forwards include Ruud Van Nistelrooy, David Trezeguet, Didier Drogba, Miroslav Klose, Adriano, Fernando Morientes, Filippo Inzaghi, Hernán Crespo, Fernando Torres, and David Villa

·
Smeghead Moderator
13,665 Posts
Rooney's goals:games ratio has improved season after season and if it keeps doing so then there is no reason why he can't play as a centre-forward.

However, I think he is better as a link striker - he's a strong lad who can hold up the ball and his vision & passing is excellent. Playing deeper also gives him more opportunities to take shots from outside the box and we all know he's capable of scoring from long-range.

I'm interested to see what role Capello will give him for England. His favoured formation in recent years has been 4-2-3-1 and I can see Rooney playing as the central figure of the 3 - which would make him more of an attacking midfield player.

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
Its a tough one this.... When Rooney and Tevez start together I think Rooney should play ahead of Tevez as the main Striker. Rooney still has a lot of improving to do and can only get better and better. The great thing about Rooney is that he is versatile. He could do a job from 1-11 if asked, and thats no joke.

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
i think he's better effective playing in front of Tevez since they have a "telepathical"understanding of each other.Tevez can draw the defenders away while rooney works his magic in the box and let fly his bombers.

·
Registered
3,139 Posts
I see rooney as a striker personally but he is so good as a support striker as well, so i say leave him with tevez up front and watch the goals flood in ;)

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
Aslong as he's playing in an attackin role im happy, but i prefer it to be as a striker rather than out wide.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Frankly speaking,Rooney has the best technical ability in United besides Scholesy.Mind you,Ronnie's not the best. BUT, and it's a very big 'BUT',he needs to work on his finishing! He has got the pace,physique,brains & touch. However,he juz lacks clinical finishing ability. Remember his miss against the Scousers last weekend? And Tevez sitters against Man Citeh & Bolton? Imagine if Ruud actually saw this! I can bet RVN will def' score those,without a slight doubt about that! But tis lad's lucky that he's still young. If he improves on his finishing,he will surely become one of the best forwards in the near future. Rock' on Wazza!

·
Registered
128 Posts
Well this is something that I don't like to talk about a lot, but the situation with Rooney is kind of funny.

When Rooney first arrived at Old Trafford he was the man of the moment and he just got better and better, but in those early years he used to run Manchester United. He was our best player by far, all attacks ended with a Rooney assist or were started by Rooney, ofcourse he would score now and then. People often said that he didn't score enough but they didn't care he was a hard-working player who created chances and provided a lot of flair to a (at the time) fading Manchester United team.

Now however, he has started to score a lot more goals and his finishing touch is impeccable, but he hasn't been as productive as he used to be. Is this because he doesn't need to be anymore, since there is Ronaldo, Tevez, Giggs, and a rejuvenated Paul Scholes creating chances for everyone, or is it because he has changed his role from a link-up striker to a more advanced one.

·
Smeghead Moderator
13,665 Posts
SolskjaertheLegend said:
but i prefer it to be as a striker rather than out wide.
Definitely agree with that.

Like Jazz said, he could do a job anywhere, but he's much more effective through the middle.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
1luv1utd said:
Well this is something that I don't like to talk about a lot, but the situation with Rooney is kind of funny.

When Rooney first arrived at Old Trafford he was the man of the moment and he just got better and better, but in those early years he used to run Manchester United. He was our best player by far, all attacks ended with a Rooney assist or were started by Rooney, ofcourse he would score now and then. People often said that he didn't score enough but they didn't care he was a hard-working player who created chances and provided a lot of flair to a (at the time) fading Manchester United team.

Now however, he has started to score a lot more goals and his finishing touch is impeccable, but he hasn't been as productive as he used to be. Is this because he doesn't need to be anymore, since there is Ronaldo, Tevez, Giggs, and a rejuvenated Paul Scholes creating chances for everyone, or is it because he has changed his role from a link-up striker to a more advanced one.
No No,pls don't gt me wrong. Rooney is simply brilliant. A great player in fact. I'm juz' suggesting dat if he wans 2 top the FIFA World Player of the Year in the near future,he gotta improve on the finishing department. Look at the past record. When Thierry Henry reach his peak performance 4 the Gooners,he was runner-up to Zinedine Zidane & Ronaldinho in 2003 and 2004 respectively. David Beckham was runner-up to Rivaldo & Luis Figo in 1999 & 2001 respectively. Frank Lampard was runner-up to Ronaldinho in 2005. While Alan Shearer & Gary Lineker were 3rd in 1991 & 1996. It just seems virtually impossible for any Premiership players to win it. Both Rooney & Fabregas got a great chance to win it for BPL in the near future tho. But b4 he can even be considered as a world great,Wazza needs some improving on his finishing. I'm not trying 2 condemn him or wat,but i juz thinks that a player must seek constant improvements in his game? Agree?

·
Registered
6,608 Posts
Rooney's best position is - nowhere.

He is best when given a free role to play as he sees fit. When he does - it works. When Fergie ties him to a position, he has a bad game.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts