Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Smeghead Moderator
13,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This has been adapted from an article on manutd.com...

Rooney looks set to complete his first uninterrupted pre-season with Man United since joining in 2004.

Since making his professional debut for Everton, Rooney's goal-scoring record has improved season after season, until last season he became United's joint leading goal scorer with Ronaldo. He was also the joint leader of assists in the Premiership with Cesc Fabregas (11 assists).

Alex Ferguson has tipped next season to be Rooney's year...

"He just loves football and loves training and he will be a big player next year, believe me,"

"He will have a great season, because he's had a proper pre-season for the first time with us. He will be fine. Nothing bothers Wayne. He is incredible, a very strong character."

"He's exceptional. He gets up and is the first in the training ground every morning,"

"We like the players to come in for breakfast and he is in at 8.45am, the first there. Unbelievable."

So, can Rooney improve even more this season? Any predictions for what his goal tally will be? Can he hit 20 league goals?

·
Registered
14 Posts
hes definately capable of scoring over twenty goals this season but i think it wil depend on wether we get tevez

·
Smeghead Moderator
13,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
THP said:
hes definately capable of scoring over twenty goals this season but i think it wil depend on wether we get tevez
Do you mean if we sign Tevez they will share the goals so Rooney won't get 20 or do you mean if we sign Tevez we'll create more chances so he will get 20?

·
Registered
3,139 Posts
I think this is gonna be rooney's year. I hope he scores 20 goals just in the prem, if we get tevez i really beleive they will both score 20 each in the prem! They are both definately capable of it!:)

·
Registered
89 Posts
When you think back to last season, Rooney got pretty close to making it 20 and that was despite having a very patchy mid season. He tended to score in two's and then not score again for a while but there is no question that he could break the 20 mark if he could be even reasonably consistent over the course of the full season and if he stayed injury free.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
I agree. 20 I don't think will come easy, but it is easily within his capabilities to achieve as long as the chances come up.

·
Registered
63 Posts
If it was Ronnies year last season i hope its Rooneys this season would really like to see him rip apart defences this year i still dont think we have seen the best of him,with the addition to the squad of flair players i think it will open the dooy for him to really shine..

·
Registered
5,167 Posts
I want him to get back to scoring his absolutely Classy goals this season. Like the one he scored against Newcastle or the superb goal against Boro in the Cup in his first season. I'm not saying he didn't score classy goals last season, he did, but these goals were really really special and thats what i want to see more of!

I'm certain if he stays fit he'll get more than 15 goals this season. With Ronaldo, Torres, Drogba etc taking the limelight and the media getting over the hype of him being a young excellent player i think he can raise his game to a whole new level.

·
Smeghead Moderator
13,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That volley against Newcastle was phenomenal!

He was obviously annoyed at the ref about something and just saw the ball dropping towards him out of the corner of his eye so just decided to take his frustration out on the ball!

The power and swerve he got on it was incredible. When it went in it was like Old Trafford stood still for just a split second as everyone in the ground sat there in stunned silence before the United fans erupted!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts