Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
854 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now today was Stoke's 6th goal from a Delap throw in. Now I think he should be in the Ireland team and heres why.

I've watched his overall play and it's not bad. He is quite good on the ball, good passer and can score also.

He is quite an average midfielder however, he should play for Ireland in CM. Is he worse than Gibson. No. Is he worse than Whelan. Stoke think not. But them throw ins are making 4 or 5 wonderful chances a game.

So if you think I'm ridiculous for saying that a player should start because he takes a great throw in fair enough. But our CM's are quite average anyway so why not just stick him in when there are great opportunities created while he is on the pitch.

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
He is at least worth a place in the Irish squad. Those throw ins are amazing.
He has the best throw in the world imo. They are like corners but better lol.
Great stuff.

·
Keen on Fella's
8,472 Posts
agreed he should be back in the ireland squad.
from my limited memory i cant ever recall him ever letting us down.
he might not be the most talented but he works his socks off for the team, his overall play isn't too bad he could certainly do a job in midfield or as cover at left back.
those throws are mental..

·
Smeghead Moderator
13,664 Posts
Who'll be heading in the throw-ins for Ireland?

Robbie Keane is not that tall. Are you going to send Richard Dunne forward for every throw-in? :D

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
reddwarf said:
Who'll be heading in the throw-ins for Ireland?

Robbie Keane is not that tall. Are you going to send Richard Dunne forward for every throw-in? :D
Cheeky git :rolleyes:
We might just bring Dunne forward, why not? :D
Doyle is great in the air and wicked at flick ons. Folan might get the odd game,
especially if we are losing and he is well tall.
Anyway, its not all about height. These throws cause mayhem in the area and
in the ensuing scramble Robbie or someone will be there to tap it in.;)

·
Registered
3,236 Posts
WTF have you been smoking Scott? :eek:

Delap is nowhere near good enough to play in CM for Ireland. Whelan is a work horse and although he played well alongside the superb Steven Reid (our best midfielder), he has struggled without him.

Our midfield should be S. Reid and A. Reid. When S. Reid is injured it should be A.Reid and probably Whelan.

Kilbane is doing very well at left back atm so I see no reason to change it. Maybe call Delap up for the upcoming friendly but our defence is fine as it is at present (minus Paul McShane when he plays at right back!).

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
^^^S. reid is out for the entire season and Whelan has been good so far
(except for the last game vs Cyprus) but he cant even get in the Stoke team
where as Delap plays every game. Im not saying that Delap should be a regular
for Ireland but at least in the squad. His throw ins are a huge weapon and could
be used as an effective Plan B.

·
Registered
3,236 Posts
Jazz 16 said:
^^^S. reid is out for the entire season and Whelan has been good so far
(except for the last game vs Cyprus) but he cant even get in the Stoke team
where as Delap plays every game. Im not saying that Delap should be a regular
for Ireland but at least in the squad. His throw ins are a huge weapon and could
be used as an effective Plan B.
Tbh, I don't want Trap to have any more incentive to play the long ball. As it is we are too defensive, especially in midfield. We desperately need a creative player in there, Andy Reid.

·
Registered
854 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Keano4taoiseach said:
Tbh, I don't want Trap to have any more incentive to play the long ball. As it is we are too defensive, especially in midfield. We desperately need a creative player in there, Andy Reid.
Ok I don't tink u shud say what have i been smokin because most people here have so far said that he should be in the squad at least. Plus the fact that Delap is playing regular first team football whereas Whelan isn't so it's not that rediculous.

Now your defensive argument doesn't make sense. If we are too defensive Delap would be perfect. He gets forward slighly more than the other 2. I'm not saying that he should be ahead of Stephen Ireland but he's not there is he. Delap works hard and can pass the ball well.

Another point is that yes we are quite negative I agree, which means we don't attack that much. His throw ins are creating so many chances and we all know how important set-pieces are in international football. If he's getting a team like Stoke to almost score from a throw-in every game why not Ireland. Dunne, O Shea, Doyle, Kilbane are quite useful in the air.

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
lol what a hacker as well.
He hacked down Sagna and Walcott who both had to go off injured.
Bad day for Arse lol.

·
Registered
854 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Now told you all. 2 Delap throw ins was the difference between Stoke losing and winning. They are too good to be ignored and Keano4Taoiseach must answer what he has been smoking.

·
I'm so gorgeous they want to arrest me
8,772 Posts
Delap is a legend. Every game stoke have won this season have been down to him. 2 goals from throw ins against Villa. A goal for him and an assist from a throw in against Spurs. Goal from a throw in against Sunderland. 2 goals from throw ins against Arsenal

1 - 20 of 35 Posts