Manchester United Talk banner

Rory Delap

2K views 34 replies 18 participants last post by  Red Devil 
#1 ·
Now today was Stoke's 6th goal from a Delap throw in. Now I think he should be in the Ireland team and heres why.

I've watched his overall play and it's not bad. He is quite good on the ball, good passer and can score also.

He is quite an average midfielder however, he should play for Ireland in CM. Is he worse than Gibson. No. Is he worse than Whelan. Stoke think not. But them throw ins are making 4 or 5 wonderful chances a game.

So if you think I'm ridiculous for saying that a player should start because he takes a great throw in fair enough. But our CM's are quite average anyway so why not just stick him in when there are great opportunities created while he is on the pitch.

#28 ·
I think these long throws are absolutely hilarious but at the same time I would be furious if Manchester United ended up dropping points because of this tactic. There is something very wrong about the fact that the ball can end up in the net without anyone kicking it or without it even touching the ground, it is called football not handball. If this was to come to the attention of Mr Platini in a high profile match you can bet that he would bring in a rule to eliminate the use of this tactic immediately. In the mean time Ireland may as well stick Folan and Morrison up front and air bombard to kingdom come.

#31 ·
You have to love Wenger lol.
He did, after all, say this about Delap's throw-ins before their game against Stoke. Oh the irony.:D

Quote:
Wenger said that his side would not become fixated with dealing with Rory
Delap's famous throw-ins today. "We counter by attacking the ball in the air and
by not making too much of a fuss of it," he said. "They score every one or two
months and it is not like a penalty, it is a throw-in. I think you shouldn't be
obsessed by that and try to dominate the game and score goals."

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/f...ns-981786.html

#32 ·
I'm not going to go too much into this, because I don't know much about the Ireland squad and hardly ever see them play.

However, I think saying he shouldn't be called up is being a big ignorant tbh.

Whether hes good enough or not is not is not the point at this moment. Hes playing regularly, playing quite well, and in the Premier League after all, so he deserves to be called up to the squad.

As for his throws, they are extremely effective and Rory Delap has made a throw-in into a set-play in their own right. They are also more consistent than a corner. Players take at least a couple of bad corners a game. How many foul throws does Delap take? None that I've seen so far.

The way he varies his throws as well also adds to the effectiveness of the throw. And as for the people saying "There not that diffcult to defend, you just need to keeper to come and collect it," its not as easy as that.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.