Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
No this has nothing to do with the other Roy Keane thread that is already posted. And I chosed to post it here in Banter so we wont focus on what he did for Manchester United as a player.
The reason I post this is to hear your view on Roy Keane as a possible manager for Manchester United after as Piers Morgan say. It's so typical of Roy Keane to take the easy way out.

My own view on this. Even while he was playing for us I thought Roy Keane would be a great manager for us. He's been there, done it all - good and bad and he understands the game. Thats what I think a manager should have in the history to become a successful manager. Now, thats not the only things you need because you have to know how to make a unit of your men, team building...and you have to know how to treat people. When to hold them back and when to push them. When to give them a challange and when to pat the back.

I dont know all the details about Sunderland and to be honest, I dont care about Sunderland. Not even if Keano have been the manager there. But dont we see a pattern here to quit when the going gets tough or....WC 2002, quitting/sold/released with a bang from United and now this....

Keep an open mind.....

·
Smeghead Moderator
13,664 Posts
I've heard that Roy Keane is actually quite a reserved and shy person when you really get to know him. That seems quite hard to believe after seeing him barking out orders on the pitch for all those years, although the rumours coming out of the Sunderland dressing room that he has a fiery temper and would often scream at certain players is quite easy to believe!

Man-management is essential in football and the higher up the leagues you go the more high paid and self-important the players are likely to get. People with big egos do not usually respond to people screaming at them.

Also, Roy Keane is a winner. His drive and determination are 2 of his biggest assets. However, when a man like that finds himself in a situation where he is losing on a regular basis I'm not sure how they would, should or can respond. Roy Keane responded by resigning.

·
Banned
2,730 Posts
yeah he may be shy but I've heard storys of people who have tried to let on to him and he either gives them a dirty look or grunts like a mad man . The thing with keane is he doesnt want the hassle of what comes with football thats why he should get out of it .

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
i think keano is so much his own man with such a strong ( albeit socially shy) personality, with such big opinions and expectations - add to this his pride etc who isn't able to begin again. as SAF and others have testified management is a totally different animal and you have to begin again at the bottom, make mistakes, adapt learn etc and evolve into a manager. with keano's personality traits and high expectations i just think this is beyond him.
the guy is a legend as a player and that will never diminish, so he should leave it that way, find some other interests and enjoy his life and let his united legacy stay as it is now- legend status.

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
reddwarf said:
I've heard that Roy Keane is actually quite a reserved and shy person when you really get to know him. That seems quite hard to believe after seeing him barking out orders on the pitch for all those years, although the rumours coming out of the Sunderland dressing room that he has a fiery temper and would often scream at certain players is quite easy to believe!

Man-management is essential in football and the higher up the leagues you go the more high paid and self-important the players are likely to get. People with big egos do not usually respond to people screaming at them.

Also, Roy Keane is a winner. His drive and determination are 2 of his biggest assets. However, when a man like that finds himself in a situation where he is losing on a regular basis I'm not sure how they would, should or can respond. Roy Keane responded by resigning.
Theres so many interesting things here...and I agree with most of it.

IF/WHEN Roy comes to United. Would he bail out after 3 back to back losses? What Alex Ferguson have proven the world of football and the world of sports is what you can achieve with patience and faith. I can still remember when we could read that they wanted to sack Fergie but didnt and look where we are now.
I dont ask Roy to stay for 20+ years like Fergie but not to jump off the wagon when everything isnt done exactly the way he wants it.

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
scottsati said:
i think keano is so much his own man with such a strong ( albeit socially shy) personality, with such big opinions and expectations - add to this his pride etc who isn't able to begin again. as SAF and others have testified management is a totally different animal and you have to begin again at the bottom, make mistakes, adapt learn etc and evolve into a manager. with keano's personality traits and high expectations i just think this is beyond him.
the guy is a legend as a player and that will never diminish, so he should leave it that way, find some other interests and enjoy his life and let his united legacy stay as it is now- legend status.
True...you have to learn it the hard way.
For example, Frank Rijkaard who started off at Sparta Rotterdam who got relegated and Im not sure but maybe he even got sacked. He won back to back Championships with Barcelona and to top that he won Champions League too.

Roberto Mancini had a few rough years too with Fiorentina and have had a few successful years in Inter (domestic) and now is said to be the one to replace Schuster in Real Madrid.

There's probably lots and lots of other example where people start off with a failure and then come back with glory.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts