Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

After clinching a remarkable 10th Premier League winner’s medal earlier this year,
Ryan Giggs has begun his 19th season at Manchester United with the candid
admission that it could be his final campaign.

Indeed, while Wayne Rooney was honeymooning in Las Vegas and Cristiano Ronaldo
has been sunning himself across the globe, Giggs, 34, used the summer to prepare for
a life after playing football.

With Ole Gunnar Solskjaer and Gary Neville, he spent two weeks on a residential
course in Lilleshall in readiness to join the considerable cast of former Aberdeen
and Manchester United players to follow Sir Alex Ferguson into a career in
coaching. “For the last couple of seasons I’ve gone into it as if it’s my last,” he
said. “I’m not getting any younger so it could be.”

Giggs had ended last season by scoring what proved to be the winning penalty in
the Champions League final, but the Uefa A licence course gave him a new perspective.

“The coaching course brought me back down to earth after Moscow,” Giggs
said. “I enjoyed it although it’s hard work looking at things from the other side of
the fence. It was tough, being used to playing and just concentrating on that.

“There are so many other things to concentrate on as a coach, so I suppose I
appreciate what the coach is doing a lot more now. I think I will pursue it. I have
to finish it off this season and then go for my Pro Licence.’’

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/fo...his-season-could-be-my-finale---Football.html

So looks like this could be Giggsy last season. What a servant he has been.
It would be great if he could go out on 11 Prem's (his jersey number) :p
Imo, it probably should be his last season at United. Its obvious he is on his
last legs and should bow out while he is still at a high level.

·
Registered
854 Posts
The man is a legend, I love him but I hope it is true. He scored the decisive goal for the league last year but most of his performances were average at best imo.

·
Least popular Moderator
24,837 Posts
Does anyone think we should retire the shirt when he retires? Our 11 is different to the 7 where we keep having legend after legend wearing it but I can't see anyone coming close to what Giggs did in that 11 shirt.

·
Proto-Hipster
46,959 Posts
TheManc said:
Does anyone think we should retire the shirt when he retires? Our 11 is different to the 7 where we keep having legend after legend wearing it but I can't see anyone coming close to what Giggs did in that 11 shirt.
yup i agree with you
one of the our best players ever
the most used player
one of the players who scored 100+
most epl won by a player
etc...
etc...
etc...
and being one of the most loyal footballers in football history ever
number 11 should never be allowed too be wore after Ryan Giggs retire

·
Registered
590 Posts
I'm sure Ryan will know when to call it a day, and unfortunatly this may be his last season :(.

I'm sure he will be used sparingly when we have a fully fit squad much like he was towards the back end of last season. His experiance can still be vital coming off the bench.

Giggsy may not have the pace he used to, but he has all the experiance in the world and his presence in the dressing room must be something special.

I don't think he will be recognised in the light he should be until he eventually does retire.

I agree with Jazz as well, 11 titles would be perfect to fit the famous number 11 shirt he has worn throughout his United career. I can't imagine it with anyone elses name on but Giggs :eek:

I was hoping that he would stay on until 2011 so he would have been playing for United for 20 years but that was just wishful thinking :(

·
MUT all-time great
21,962 Posts
TheManc said:
I don't think Giggsy would let us do that, that's just how selfless he is. He'll always be our number 11, anytime you see someone else in that kit, you'll just think of Giggsy. Everytime I see Michael Carrick, I just think about Roy Keane.

·
Im not fat... im sex.
8,817 Posts
TheManc said:
i dont think it is different to the no7 for united, my hope is the next player to wear the shirt should honer it by becoming a united legend just like so many have with the no7.

i do though think he should have a statue along side fergie and scholes infact we could have a whole road of hall of fame statues but giggs for sure desurves one he is up there with best, law and charlton.

and untill the day i die i will be honered to say ive seen ryan giggs play and i shall tell my grandkids about the welsh lad with magic in his feet

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
2 seasons more. he may not play as many games, but the team will benefit just with his presence in the squad.

this number 11 shirt is even harder to be replaced....

·
Registered
4,025 Posts
Must get to OT and see him before he goes. Can't wait to see more magic from him this year. As I type this, I was inevitably thinking about my favorite Giggs moments, and as soon as I heard, "It's a wonderful run by Giggs!" in my head I got goosebumps. Thanks for everything Giggsy.

·
Banned
1,790 Posts
well he is a living legend and i think he is thinking of getting his 11 premiership title with his number 11 shirt isnt this great too good for the premiership record holder i still remember the match against arsenal

the commentator on tv saying Ryan Giggs has pass the defender like a knife on a butter what was too good

hahaha

·
Registered
854 Posts
andersons_left_foot said:
i dont think it is different to the no7 for united, my hope is the next player to wear the shirt should honer it by becoming a united legend just like so many have with the no7.

i do though think he should have a statue along side fergie and scholes infact we could have a whole road of hall of fame statues but giggs for sure desurves one he is up there with best, law and charlton.

and untill the day i die i will be honered to say ive seen ryan giggs play and i shall tell my grandkids about the welsh lad with magic in his feet
I agree. It's gettin a bit rediculous saying we should retire shirts. First of all we'd be struggling with numbers plus it should give the next player that extra insentive to become a legend like the last person that wore the shirt. Like what happened the no 7.

·
GET YOUR HEAD OUT THE PUSSY CLOUDS & IN THE GAME
2,659 Posts
Yh just hand it to Nani (the 11 shirt)....i say it casualy because giggs will bow out within the next two years. You can notice it on him during the season when the games are two a week, he gets tired. He will get 20-30 appearances this year, but i do think nani will shine.
Giggs is a legend and nani is one in the making, it would be perfect for giggs to retire on his 11th Prem Medal :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
I really hope he doesn't retire for at least 2 years. I know he is on his last legs but I'm sure he'd still be necessary due to his experience let alone his ability. I hope he goes straight into the United coaching frame after he retires.

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
Giggsy has it in him to keep going. Naturally, he'll play less and less but he can still play.
The No.11 shirt is famous. It should be passed on to the next player that comes along who is worthy of that number.
Giggsy....one of my favourite players since i was a little boy. We will all be sad the day The Welsh Wizard finally calls it a day. :(

·
Smeghead Moderator
13,664 Posts
If he wins Premier League title number 11 to match his shirt number he may feel that would be a good time to retire.

However, we'll have to see how he performs this season. He'll know when it's time to hang up his boots.

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
You only retire a jersey if a player dies.. foolish to retire Giggsys no. 11, nor will it happen... it will be up to Nani or whoever to earn the right to wear the no. 11, just like Rooney with the no. 10!

Giggs has been playing amazingly since I can remember, and I think we could see some top performances from him this year as he'll be spared more!

When he does hang up the boots he'll never be forgotten, and hopefully will still have involvement with the club like Ole!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts