Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Former Milan coaching great Arrigo Sacchi has launched a withering attack on the three English teams remaining in the Champions League, and has hit out at the quality of this week's semi-finals.

Both first legs proved to be matches that will not live long in the memory as Liverpool and Chelsea drew 1-1 at Anfield, before Manchester United shut up shop in their 0-0 stalemate at Barcelona.

"Is it worth Chelsea investing so much money in a team with such little joy and harmony?,†Sacchi asked in the Gazzetta dello Sport.

"As for Liverpool, Benitez is praised for his tactical work, but the technical quality individually and collectively is not high, so goes their ability to dribble, keep possession of the ball and play a fantasy game.

"Manchester United arrived in great form, and played a game that betrayed the English culture and its history.

“They thought only to defend with everyone back, attacking with few players. There was no action.â€

Sacchi, while recognising that Barcelona tried to play the game in the right way, also had some harsh words to say about the in-fighting in the Barcelona camp.

â€The Blaugrana have shown that they are in an inadequate mental and physical shape,†he continued.

“This is a team where envy, jealousy and the bourgeoisie have undermined professionalism, motivation and playing."
Goal.com

·
Registered
3,236 Posts
Our performance or rather style of play was quite embarrasing to be honest, mainly due to Fergie's daft tactics.

Hopefully, we can redeem ourselves with an attacking performance like against Roma last season on tuesday :)

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
sacchi is totally right to state this fact,and in fact utd have betrayed their own style in every champions league semi since 99 we always spring into life when the tie is lost {except milan where we buckled with a depleated team}.
on tuesday barca comes to town and if utd play the utd way we will win with comfort ,if we crowd midfield and play negative like every other semi then we will lose on away goals like usual,lets be bold lets be brave and above all don't be NEGATIVE.

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
We should of at least hit them on the counter attack like we did vs Roma...we were not able to do that because of our poor passing and poor possesion keeping...we DID play ugly football...lets hope Man United can correct that at OT and Stamford Bridge

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
As an Italian Arrigo Sacchi knows what it means to play utterly boring. I think he's impressed we were better italians then the italian teams ever were this season.

·
Registered
376 Posts
sweet fa said:
sacchi is totally right to state this fact,and in fact utd have betrayed their own style in every champions league semi since 99 we always spring into life when the tie is lost {except milan where we buckled with a depleated team}.
on tuesday barca comes to town and if utd play the utd way we will win with comfort ,if we crowd midfield and play negative like every other semi then we will lose on away goals like usual,lets be bold lets be brave and above all don't be NEGATIVE.
Absobloominglutely mate! Fergies tactics stink in Europe. He gets so cautious the closer we get to the silver. Why are barca so different from Roma away (who beat Real on their own ground and Real are 9 points clear of Barca!)? If you were a Barca fan you would be praying that United played it "cagey" and didn't attack. I know why fergie thinks we must be smart in europe but at the end of the day it's still just a game of football and in games of football teams must try to do what they do best. United look second rate when they try and impersonate Milan away. I hope that when Barca score they score early to wake us up from this nightmare of fearful football.

·
Registered
376 Posts
fazman said:
if we went at barca they would of ripped us apart simple as that so sacchi can xxxx off
Or we could have ripped them apart...? Our defence would have stood firmer than theirs in a toe to toe slugfest.

·
Registered
3,232 Posts
My say : Ye swe played defensively and gave the ball away and play poorly. BUt its a semi final first leg for gods sake ! We must lose the match like Roma did in the first leg itself ! Thats what cautious play is about.

That man : Needs a slap and a job..... wasting time eh ? if he's so great then why is he commenting upon history ? IMO the second legs will see more open and attacking play.... Man united and Chelsea as favourites....

eH ?

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
i think some of what he says is spot on , i have been saying for ages when you go negative and play defensive it sends out the message you are scared because you are changing your tactics due to fear of the opposition.
with the players we have at our disposal we need not fear anyone , our magnificient back four give us the springboard to play our 4-4-2 attacking formation.
fergies job should be easy all he has to do is say "go and enjoy yourselfs they are not fit to be on the same pitch as you".
I think he should remember how most of his success was achieved , 1999 in particular we played the same formation week in week out and shuffled a couple of players about

·
Registered
10 Posts
Couldn't care less what Sacchi thinks. How many Italian teams are in the last 4? Italian teams would have employed exactly the same tactics in the Nou Camo as we did.

·
Banned
1,238 Posts
desmondo said:
Absobloominglutely mate! Fergies tactics stink in Europe. He gets so cautious the closer we get to the silver. Why are barca so different from Roma away (who beat Real on their own ground and Real are 9 points clear of Barca!)? If you were a Barca fan you would be praying that United played it "cagey" and didn't attack. I know why fergie thinks we must be smart in europe but at the end of the day it's still just a game of football and in games of football teams must try to do what they do best. United look second rate when they try and impersonate Milan away. I hope that when Barca score they score early to wake us up from this nightmare of fearful football.

we could of won more european titles if fergie was more clued up in europe but he aint we struggle most years its a mystery why as weve had some awsome teams

1 - 18 of 18 Posts