Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
4,828 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Given the fixture congestion and the massive return leg with inter next Wednesday, will SAF put a 'Carling Cup' style line-up out against Fulham on Saturday? Clearly, the FA Cup ranks third in the pecking order now, but you feel Fergie still rates it very highly. After all, it's our trophy.

He may take a risk and rest some players ahead of Wednesday - perhaps in an attempt to scrape out a win, but knowing a draw would take us back to OT. For example: Ronny hasn't been rested in ages, the last game he didn't start was the first leg of the CC semis. And before that?

What do you think SAF will do?

·
Registered
4,025 Posts
I wish Ronnie would have been rested against the barcodes. Will be an interesting line-up that he will put up though. I imagine Scholes and Ando in the middle though, and that should be a good pairing. With Nani out wide, an maybe Wellbeck on the other side?

Where are Nev, Brown, and Fabio health wise?

·
Arse Bandito
1,527 Posts
i think if you look back through the teams that we have tended to put out in the fa cup, it shows that fergie wants to rest players. gibson and welbeck have played a couple of times, nani also. jonny evans has played, so it is really a "carling cup" style team i think. fulham are a stronger opposition.

i just whipped out a programme to look at our facup teams and this is what i found:

southampton (a) van der sar, neville, evans, vidic, o shea, nani, anderson, carrick, giggs, welbeck, berbatov

spurs (H) foster, o shea, neville, vidic, fabio, carrick, ronaldo, scholes, welbeck, tevez, berbatov

derby (A) foster, rafael, ferdinand, evans, evra, park, fletcher, gibson, nani, giggs, ronaldo

so i guess these teams are a little more experienced than the carling cup, but there is a clear mix of youth, experience and players in our squad who need games. i think there will be some variation on one of these teams. after his performance in the cup final, foster should start, but fergie could blow it all wide open and play kuzczak so he doesn't feel left out. rafael is injured so john o shea will probably play. i see vidic as the best partner when evans plays and think Sir Alex sees this, and i guess it's pretty level between whether evra or fabio plays. midfield, park needs a game, and scholes has had a week long rest. gibson will probably play with him, as in the carling cup final, with nani on the left. it's true that ronaldo should get a rest, so maybe tevez and berbatov up front, if not welbeck.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
I wish Ronnie would have been rested against the barcodes. Will be an interesting line-up that he will put up though. I imagine Scholes and Ando in the middle though, and that should be a good pairing. With Nani out wide, an maybe Wellbeck on the other side?

Where are Nev, Brown, and Fabio health wise?
1. I think ronaldo will be on the bench. plus id go with the midfield u picked of nani-scholes-ando-welbeck. depends on SAF's opinion of fulham in the cup, mite c gibbo in place of scholes to have him ready for inter.

2. Rafael still has another 3 weeks out injured. brown? no idea. neville? heard he had virus last week but not heard anythin else

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
foster/PIG would play. fabio shld have another shot, evans will come in for either vidic or rio. the rb post will be given to whoever fit(brown or neville), if neither, then oshea will make shift again.
ronaldo shld be rested, so maybe giggs will come in for him. midfield would probably be fletcher and anderson. nani will play.
rooney and tevez shld form the strike partner.

·
All round nice guy
3,887 Posts
Fulham game

Foster
? Ferdinand Evans Fabio
Fletcher* Scholes Anderson Nani
Tevez Welbeck

*Gibson?
No idea who's fit out of our RB's at the moment so I'll leave that.
+ a very strong bench.

Against Inter I reckon it will be

Van der Sar
? Ferdinand Vidic Evra
Ronaldo Carrick Giggs Park
Berbatov Rooney

·
Registered
3,139 Posts
Personally i think the team should be;
- - - - - - Foster - - - - - - -
O'Shea - Rio - Evans - Fabio*
Nani - Scholes - Gibson - Giggsy
- - - - Rooney - Tevez - - - -

If fabio isn't fit then i suppose Evra will take his place i'd rather rest evra though.

Bench;
Kuz
Vidic
Ekersley
Welbeck
Fletcher
Park
Macheda (would absolutely love to see him play but i think ron will be in his place on the bench)
:)

Prediction; 3-0 United rooney, tevez and nani to score. Come on lads

·
Smeghead Moderator
13,664 Posts
The last thing Fergie will want is a replay so I'm sure he'll have a few 'big guns' on the bench like Ronaldo and Berbatov if we need them to come on and win the game but will start with a Carling Cup type team.

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
i think fergie was working that out last night when he only made one substitution in injury time against newcastle.
foster
neville rio evans fabio
giggs scholes anderson nani
wellbeck tevez

i reckon that will be within 2 selections of the team .and they are good enough to beat fulham and get to the semi's ,some of my favourite utd memories come from this competition and i hope utd win it this season to get a domestic treble and i hope for the best in the champions league.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
I think that VDS should definitely start this game. He had a rest before the last game and we all saw that he wasn't in form for the first 20-30 minutes. I don't want to be rested and to make another mistake against Inter. And goalkeepers don't run as much as the other players , so it is not a problem to start both of the games.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
The last thing Fergie will want is a replay so I'm sure he'll have a few 'big guns' on the bench like Ronaldo and Berbatov if we need them to come on and win the game but will start with a Carling Cup type team.

I am agree with having a ,,big guns" on the bench,but instead of Carling Cup ,,type" team must probably will be used Anderson and pair Tevez -Berbatov.
I have not idea Zoran Toshic is ready or not. He is also a variant for winger and free kicks .

·
Registered
3,232 Posts
Watch this space. I can READ SAF's mind..... I can!!!

Rooney rested. Tevez lays , possible wellbeck but maybe berba but subbed.

Vida rested ?....maybe adn evra plays.

·
Registered
4,025 Posts
I think that VDS should definitely start this game. He had a rest before the last game and we all saw that he wasn't in form for the first 20-30 minutes. I don't want to be rested and to make another mistake against Inter. And goalkeepers don't run as much as the other players , so it is not a problem to start both of the games.
You think any of that had to do with the pitch? Not being smartass, serious question.

·
www.InTheFreeRole.com
5,268 Posts
GK Van Der Sar

RB Neville
CB Ferdinand
CB Vidic
LB Evra

RM Fletcher
CM Scholes
CM Anderson
LM Park