Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Z

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Southampton will be relegated from the Championship after being docked 10 points by the Football League.

The penalty comes after the club's parent company went into administration at the start of April.

Full story here

·
Smeghead Moderator
13,664 Posts
Lol, just beat me to it zuco.

Soton are screwed. There's no way they'll recover from this. Rupert Lowe has destroyed that club and I wouldn't be surprised if he got lynched by their fans.

If they finish outside the bottom 3 they will be deducted 10 points and relegated. If they finish in the bottom 3 they will be relegated and get the 10 points deducted at the beginning of next season.

It really is a sad tale. After the building of their new stadium, St Mary's, the future looked bright but it has now gone horribly wrong. Pompey fans must laughing their heads off.

·
Registered
3,017 Posts
Charlton already relegated and now Southampton..
It's not all that long ago these clubs were playing in the Premier League..!
Norwich are in the relegation zone too..!

The Championship has been so competitive this year and the Play-Offs will be well worth watching..!:)

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
The good old days when they played at the Dell with Le Tissier is what I will remember them for. Such a horrid ground to play at.

Clive Woodward too:D

An example of the recession taking its toll on football this is.

·
Smeghead Moderator
13,664 Posts
Charlton already relegated and now Southampton..
It's not all that long ago these clubs were playing in the Premier League..!
Norwich are in the relegation zone too..!

The Championship has been so competitive this year and the Play-Offs will be well worth watching..!:)
It's incredible how quickly things can change in football isn't it?

Everyone knows about Leeds and MK Dons but when you look through the league tables and see the position of former Premier League clubs like Bradford, Swindon & Oldham etc it's frightening for football club chairmen.

It takes a brave chairman to fork out millions for players to stay in the Premier League when they know it could end in disaster. Sometimes the gamble pays off e.g. Beattie at Stoke and sometimes it doesn't e.g. Bullard at Hull.

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
one day we will be bending the ears of our younger family members about the good old days...i remember my grandad telling me about some of the greats of his day......they aren't so great anymore.give it 20 years and we'll be doing the same thing saying how great newcastle etc once were before they went part-time :)

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
one day we will be bending the ears of our younger family members about the good old days...i remember my grandad telling me about some of the greats of his day......they aren't so great anymore.give it 20 years and we'll be doing the same thing saying how great newcastle etc once were before they went part-time :)
So true. I can imagine it... 'There was this chap by the name of Shearer for Newcastle and he used to score goals for fun every saturday'. :D

It is unreal though how many former PL teams are in League 1 and then there are others who are struggling financially.

·
A curry and a crate of wifebeater please!!
25,242 Posts
I totally disagree with this action. Why punish a club for struggling? Isn't it just killing them off? Sureley going into administration is punishment enough without putting the final nail in the coffin. Deductions for improper conduct, yes, i agree with, in principle, but to punish a club for running out of money just seems ludicrous, especially in the current financial climate. Things are just going to get worse though, by the end of next season, how many clubs in the lowers devisions will have gone into recievership and have points deducted. I for one, feel sorry for them.

·
A curry and a crate of wifebeater please!!
25,242 Posts
Just one more thing, the headline of the article is also misleading as they will not be deducted points this season if they finish above the bottom three, it will come into effect at the start of next season.

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
cant argue with you there carlo 100% agree- the wrong people always get off and its the club and its fans that are not only left to pick up the pieces but then gets fines or points deductions.
out of everyone recently i feel sorry for luton town-the people that caused the problems were no longer at the club and the new consortium was left with a 30 point handicap-utterly unfair and ridiculous

·
Registered
7,534 Posts
i think it's such a shame...st mary's is a lovely stadium..i know loads of southampton fans,they've done nothing wrong..saints just can't seem to get out of trouble,and this is just going to make the situation so much worse..

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
It's a shame they are going down. Strange to think they will be playing league 1 football with Charlton and Leeds (hopefully). Rupert Lowe is such a figure of hate down there. He has turned them into a laughing stock. They had just forked out for a big stadium which should be hosting prem games. Now they are in the shit. LeTiss will be heartbroken. I feel sorry for their fans. They have some top class fans down there.

·
Registered
9,457 Posts
Great fans and some great players have come through there over the years. Le Le Tissier, Crouch, Walcott in recent times...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts