Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
11,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Paul Scholes says the recent World Cup qualifiers make the outcome of Saturday's lunchtime encounter at Anfield even more unpredictable.

Scholesy has been among only a handful of players training at United's Carrington headquarters this week as most Reds headed off to aid their country's bid to reach the 2010 World Cup in South Africa.

"There have been four or five of us training and that does disrupt it massively - especially when we have an early kick-off on Saturday," Scholes told MUTV.

"We (the whole group) will get an hour of training probably on Friday. Sometimes it helps and sometimes it doesn't. We will just have to wait and see on Saturday.â€

Fortunately, Liverpool are in the same situation. "It's the same for every team. Liverpool will have a lot of players out; Chelsea will have every player out as well. These are historically tough games and whenever you play them it isn't any different. You need to play these games at some stage during the season."

The 33-year-old will be as vital as ever when United take on Liverpool on Saturday, and he says the influx of youthful midfielders at Old Trafford has allowed him to focus on the passing game that still sets him apart from his Premier League peers.

"It's good having the youngsters in because they can do all the running for you,†he joked. “You can just sit and pass the ball to them and off they go.

"You try to give a little bit of advice to them, but not too much,†he adds. “They don't need much talking to. I just say to them to do exactly what has got them here. The manager has seen something in them that has got them to this stage, so why stop that?â€

http://www.manutd.com/default.sps?pagegid={F9E570E6-407E-44BC-800F-4A3110258114}&newsid=6618149

·
Banned
15,336 Posts
I hate using World Cup qualifiers as an excuse.

Of course, it does disrupt. But we aren't the other ones in that position, and they should be able to deal with that.

·
Smeghead Moderator
13,664 Posts
On the plus side, Rooney should have gained some confidence from scoring against Croatia, ditto with Nani after his goal against Denmark.

·
Banned
15,336 Posts
reddwarf said:
On the plus side, Rooney should have gained some confidence from scoring against Croatia, ditto with Nani after his goal against Denmark.
Yeah.

Unless theres injuries, I don't think World Cup qualfiers pose that big a problem. Yes there may be some jet lag or something like that, but there professional football players and they just have to deal with it.

Its a pretty poor excuse is anyone uses internationals as an excuse imo.

·
Banned
9,926 Posts
I can understand him considering he's called it time on International games, and he
sees the disruption more so then others.

Its something I really hate too TBH, but as said, people like Rooney gain
confidence when they score away on duty. If Rooney can net a goal on Saturday
I'll be more then happy! :D

Luckily we haven't losta ny players to bad injuries on International duty but we'll
be right ticked off when we do because we will do some time. I agree with
Scholsey though

·
Stretford Ender
2,270 Posts
this season has still really to get going for united.

one game then international break followed by another game then super cup and international break.

when we usually go into the liverpool game, we have 5-6 games under our belt and a bit of momentum going for us. this time it aint the case.

also the fact that liverpool are due one over on us makes me rather nervous bout saturday. imo i would be delighted to take 4pts from liverpool/chelsea games with a win at anfield and a draw at bridge being ideal.

fergie complains bout the internationals comin so soon after season start and i personally agree.

·
Registered
224 Posts
marty davidson said:
Paul Scholes says the recent World Cup qualifiers make the outcome of Saturday's lunchtime encounter at Anfield even more unpredictable.

Scholesy has been among only a handful of players training at United’s Carrington headquarters this week as most Reds headed off to aid their country’s bid to reach the 2010 World Cup in South Africa.

"There have been four or five of us training and that does disrupt it massively - especially when we have an early kick-off on Saturday," Scholes told MUTV.

"We (the whole group) will get an hour of training probably on Friday. Sometimes it helps and sometimes it doesn't. We will just have to wait and see on Saturday.”

Fortunately, Liverpool are in the same situation. "It’s the same for every team. Liverpool will have a lot of players out; Chelsea will have every player out as well. These are historically tough games and whenever you play them it isn't any different. You need to play these games at some stage during the season."

The 33-year-old will be as vital as ever when United take on Liverpool on Saturday, and he says the influx of youthful midfielders at Old Trafford has allowed him to focus on the passing game that still sets him apart from his Premier League peers.

"It’s good having the youngsters in because they can do all the running for you,” he joked. “You can just sit and pass the ball to them and off they go.

"You try to give a little bit of advice to them, but not too much,” he adds. “They don't need much talking to. I just say to them to do exactly what has got them here. The manager has seen something in them that has got them to this stage, so why stop that?”

http://www.manutd.com/default.sps?pagegid={F9E570E6-407E-44BC-800F-4A3110258114}&newsid=6618149
i think he's implying anderson

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
i wonder if scholes would have the same view if he was still playing for his country ,i doubt it very much .yet another dim witted comment from a footballer who all only think of themselves ,paul knows playing for your country in a proper game is the most important thing ,for him to moan that club training is distrupted because of it is totally stupid.

·
Banned
9,511 Posts
sweet fa said:
i wonder if scholes would have the same view if he was still playing for his country ,i doubt it very much .yet another dim witted comment from a footballer who all only think of themselves ,paul knows playing for your country in a proper game is the most important thing ,for him to moan that club training is distrupted because of it is totally stupid.
Paul Scholes, only thinking about himself?

You really do need to read up a lot on Paul Scholes.

Z

·
0 Posts
Stephen said:
Paul Scholes, only thinking about himself?

You really do need to read up a lot on Paul Scholes.
Seconded. Scholes is the player you'd think most UNlikely to think about himself.

·
Registered
286 Posts
I probably agree with him. Most United players have been away for international duty so they would have only had two days preparation. Both teams are in the same boat so it will be unpredictable. But there cant be two teams in the world that know each other more than us and Liverpool know each other. Should be a great game...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts