Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
11,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Paul Scholes believes it's about time Manchester United backed up claims that they have a strong squad.

Sir Alex Ferguson's men go into the FA Cup fourth round tie against Tottenham at Old Trafford with ten first team players out of action.

That figure could rise to a dozen if Gary Neville and Ryan Giggs do not recover from minor knocks.

But Scholes, who is likely to feature against Spurs, is determined not to use the injury list as an excuse for any slack performances.

"We have been saying all along we have a big squad and a quality squad. Now we have to prove it," the midfielder said.

"Only time will tell if we get stretched.

"Wes Brown has been looking quite good in training, so he should be back soon. It would be nice to get Rio Ferdinand back as well.

"It is disappointing when you get injuries and we seem to be dropping like flies but this is the time you need your squad players."

The Red Devils squad is so depleted that youngsters Richard Eckersley, James Chester, who came off the bench against Derby in midweek, and Fabio, Rafael da Silva's twin brother, have been fast tracked into the first-team squad for Saturday's cup clash.
Talent

Despite their lack of experience Scholes has no worries that they can step up to the plate, with many of them having helped United on their way to the Carling Cup final.

But the 34-year-old did not need to be reminded how talented this latest crop of youngsters were having witnessed first hand in training their undoubted potential.

"It didn't take winning a semi-final to realise there are a lot of good young players coming through," Scholes added.

"We train with these lads every day and they have all the quality. They are still young lads and have plenty of improvement to do but they are at the right place to do it."

The Oldham born ace has experienced lifting the FA Cup and even scoring in a final but he insists he understands Spurs boss Harry Redknapp fielding a weakened side.

"Harry is normally quite an honest bloke and he probably thinks there are more important things ahead of him," Scholes explained.

"In fairness he probably has because it would be disastrous if Tottenham went down. I'm sure they won't but that has to be his priority."

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_4838054,00.html

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
Hear hear!

IT's time for the squad players to step up and he's right.

Squad for Tottenham (IMO):

Berbatov - Welbeck

Giggs - Scholes - Carrick - Ronaldo

O'Shea - Vidic - Neville - Fletcher

VDS​

Subs:
Kuszczak, Chester, Fabio, Tosic, Gibson, Possebon, Tevez

OR - because I really don't rate Neville at centre back, I'd actually change the whole formation to avoid that.
I actually would feel more comfortable if O'Shea played at CB. No reason to risk starting with Chester though, but Fabio at LB would be an option.
Also would prefer to avoid Giggs playing on the wing:

Berbatov - Welbeck

Ronaldo - Scholes - Carrick - Fletcher

Fabio - O'Shea - Vidic - Neville

VDS

Subs:
Kuszczak, Chester, Giggs, Tosic, Gibson, Possebon, Tevez

·
Registered
9 Posts
I am looking forward to this game.
Like scholes says, its time for the backup players and younger players to step up.

I have heard of the likes of evans and welbeck doing well in the under 18's and reserves and both could make a good impact in the premier league.

G

·
MarcG84 said:
I am looking forward to this game.
Like scholes says, its time for the backup players and younger players to step up.

I have heard of the likes of evans and welbeck doing well in the under 18's and reserves and both could make a good impact in the premier league.
Evans has already made an impact on the Premier League Marc, he's been part of a back four that has equalled the record number of consecutive clean sheets. He's been a rock alongside Vidic ever since Ferdinand has been out with his back problems.

Nice to hear a rallying call from Scholes though, could be just what the squad needs to keep our winning run going.

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
RedForceRising said:

Berbatov - Welbeck

VDS

Subs:
That is the exact same starting line up I want just with Tevez starting ahead of Welbeck and using Welbeck as a 2nd half substitute but yeah this team should win at OT no problemo imo.

·
Registered
9 Posts
-zuco- said:
Evans has already made an impact on the Premier League Marc, he's been part of a back four that has equalled the record number of consecutive clean sheets. He's been a rock alongside Vidic ever since Ferdinand has been out with his back problems.

Nice to hear a rallying call from Scholes though, could be just what the squad needs to keep our winning run going.
I know what u mean as i think he is a top player.
I dont want to see him get dropped back on the bench as i see a bright future.
what i was trying to say was the impact on the league these players could have in the future. Welbeck needs to up his performances as the strike force at man utd is one of the most feared in the world. with Campbell also looking like he could also be a good future player Welbeck could be looking for a hard future at man utd.

·
Banned
27,712 Posts
RedForceRising said:
OR - because I really don't rate Neville at centre back, I'd actually change the whole formation to avoid that.
I actually would feel more comfortable if O'Shea played at CB. No reason to risk starting with Chester though, but Fabio at LB would be an option.
Also would prefer to avoid Giggs playing on the wing:

Berbatov - Welbeck

VDS

Subs:
id go along with that team as well as you said i don't fancy gaz at center back and sheashy is comfortable there for Ireland and has been a rock for us (Ireland that is ;))there! would also put in tevez ahead of welbeck i rate the kid a lot but think tevez deserves his chance

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
Berbatov - Welbeck

VDS​

sparkic said:
That is the exact same starting line up I want just with Tevez starting ahead of Welbeck and using Welbeck as a 2nd half substitute but yeah this team should win at OT no problemo imo.
- I think this formation allows people to play in positions their better suited to. Like Fletcher at RM is better than at RB. It just looks like a safer option, even if it means starting with Fabio. He's played for the first team in pre-season, so would feel comfortable with him starting.

cantos red army said:
id go along with that team as well as you said i don't fancy gaz at center back and sheashy is comfortable there for Ireland and has been a rock for us (Ireland that is ;))there! would also put in tevez ahead of welbeck i rate the kid a lot but think tevez deserves his chance
I'm definitely more comfortable with O'Shea at CB than Gary Neville. Of course Tevez deserves his chance, but just thought Welbeck should play the whole 90 minutes with Tevez replacing berba at some point, so both of them are not too tired for Tuesday.

If you start with both Berba AND Tevez, one of them has to play a full 90 minutes.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts