Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Middlesbrough goalkeeper set the new record in Sunday's 1-0 victory over Portsmouth, his 316th Premier League match, beating the previous mark of 315 set by Arsenal's Dutch striker Dennis Bergkamp.

Schwarzer made his Boro debut against Sheffield Wednesday on March 1, 1997 and has since gone on to appear in 346 matches in all competitions.

Already, there has been speculation about his 10-season career with the Teeside outfit coming to an end. Still, the Socceroos custodian wants to remain playing and represent Australia at the 2010 World Cup in South Africa.

"Am I ready to give it away just yet? The answer is no, I'm not," he said. "I believe that I can perform better than I have previously.

"It is also a case of remembering the last World Cup and saying to myself, 'I want to live that again and have an even better one next time'."

Schwarzer's loyalty to one particular club is a rare sight since the Premier League started in 1992.

Of the 27 players who have made more Premier League appearances than him only four — Liverpool's Jamie Carragher and Manchester United trio Ryan Giggs, Roy Keane and Gary Neville — have made them all at the same club.

Schwarzer's displays for Middlesbrough have been important to the club's survival in recent seasons.

One of the most important save for the Teessiders came in the last game of the 2004-05 season against Manchester City.

He blocked a Robbie Fowler penalty in stoppage time to give his side a 1-1 draw. The result ensured Boro's qualification for the UEFA Cup the following season.

His contract with the club will expire at the end of the season.

So far, the 35-year-old has failed to agree on a new deal. Transfer regulations gives him the right to sign a pre-contract agreement with any other club from today.

Despite his uncertain future at the club, Schwarzer remains a pivotal figure in helping his team stay clear of relegation this season.

Middlesbrough lie in 14th place on 20 points.

·
Registered
3,236 Posts
Fair Play to him.

I was at the United-Boro game last season and he played very well and even in his warm up he looked as fit and focused as any other player.

A great pro and a good role model for kids.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
reddwarf said:
Sorry if I'm being a bit thick here but what record has he set exactly?
The foreign(non-British) player with most Barclays Premiership club appearances for a single team,348 for Middlesborough Football Club.:)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts