Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:( does it concern anybody that were scoring 1,2 or 0 a game we can only count on last minute goals every so often.

of course if it keeps going like this i wouldn't mind so long as were top.

but does it concern anyone that were getting some wonderful chances but we cant take all the time?

let me know your opinions of:

1)why were scoring less this season

2) how you could solve this problem

btw every commentator after the game even wen we win 1-0 up they alwAYS say "united COULD be up by 5-6 goals now" :confused: :(

·
United's masseuse
6,296 Posts
Yes, we are scoring less but as long as we take the 3 points, nothing else matters at the end of the day.

Defensively, we have been awesome this season, and maybe most of our effort is going in that area because we know that if we can defend and avoid conceding goals, we have got the quality to score. We always find someone who scores the killing goal, no matter if its Vidic, Tevez, Rooney or Berbatov. We are always finding someone, we have got plenty of match winners in our squad.
Never say die attitude eh? =)

So no, it is not worrying me by one bit.

Z

·
0 Posts
I would prefer to be beating teams 3 or 4-0, but it's not a major concern. We've not played consistently well all season yet we're still top of the league. It's grinding out these 1-0 wins that makes champions.

·
Banned
27,712 Posts
-zuco- said:
I would prefer to be beating teams 3 or 4-0, but it's not a major concern. We've not played consistently well all season yet we're still top of the league. It's grinding out these 1-0 wins that makes champions.
eaxctly look at liverpool they didnt play well agsint stojke and drew we didnt play well and we won that i whats going to make the diffrence come may imo so if we keep wining 1-0s i couldnt care less all that matters is we get 3 points

·
United's masseuse
6,296 Posts
i Remember Arsenal, when their "promising" young talents used to give such great performances, but in the end they weren`t takin anything from them and look at them now, its the 4th year without a PremierLeague.

It`s nice to play watchful football, nice to produce a lot of goals but what`s more important are the 3 points. That`s what football is all about, its these dodgy results that win you things just like they did last season, and i will not mention the season of 2 yrs ago because we used to had some very good results on a consistent base.

Anyways, to conclude things up. I don`t care how strong our battle will turn out to be, as long as we`ll win it in the end.

·
Registered
135 Posts
roxi is right. in the end its the three points that are added to the table that matter. our defense is solid, so as long as we can score even 1 goal more than the opponent, then im happy.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
RoxiiUtd said:
Defensively, we have been awesome this season, and maybe most of our effort is going in that area because we know that if we can defend and avoid conceding goals, we have got the quality to score
Exactly. If they don't score, worst that can happen is we still get 1 point :)

·
Registered
4,462 Posts
Nah guys, i couldn't live through too many of them late winning 1-0 wins, i'd have no hair left.

We need to kill off thems like we did last year. We have the abilty so why not use it.

·
Banned
27,712 Posts
VaVaVoom said:
Nah guys, i couldn't live through too many of them late winning 1-0 wins, i'd have no hair left.

We need to kill off thems like we did last year. We have the abilty so why not use it.
because its difficult to win 3 or 4 nil when teams set out to have 10 men behind the ball and just hold out for a draw! IMO its actually harder to play against say a Bolton or a stoke than it is a Chelsea or Liverpool because at least in them games it will be more open and we have the chance to counter attack witch we are one of the best at the world at IMO

1-0=3 points
2-0=3 points
3-0=3points

and so on and on! at the end of the day if our defense plays the way it is for the rest of the season the wort that will happen is we will gain 1 point i can nearly see us going unbeating for the rest of the premiership campaign tbh so ya im not one bit concerd all that matters is we are winning

·
www.InTheFreeRole.com
5,268 Posts
I've done alot of thinking into this issue, as it cannot be just bad luck happening so often this far into the season, so I'm going to compile a list of what I consider to be the routes of the problem.

Okay here's my thoughts on possible reasons for this problem:

1. Lack of creativity in midfield
There seems to be a serious lack of creativity in our midfield. With Anderson and Scholes not the players the were last season, only carrick and Ronaldo seem capable of creating things at the moment, so chances aren;t being put on plates for people, hence less goals.

Solution: Well, I don't like this as a solution, but it seems that unless Nani and Anderson can buck up their ideas, reinforcements will have to be brought in.

2. lack of trust in left winger This ones a bit less easy to explain but I'll try. The players seem to know that the player on our left wing (usually park or nani) is likely ro tuin attacks and give the ball away. So rather than flowing moves that seem so natural, when the natural thing is to pass to the left winger in space, the players seem to be reluctant to pass it there and so move the ball in an unnatural direction which disrupts the flow of the move and often ends in the ball being lost.

Solution: Well it's either the same as number one or the team are just going to have to learn to trust that person even if the chances are they will go wrong.

3. New player in attack, whole team needs to adapt
Sometimes, when a new player is brought into the attack, the whole team needs to adjust not just that player. This is because they lose that natural understanding of their team mates which ultimately results in less chances in goals.

Solution: Time. That's all it needs, the understanding will come sooner or later and this problem will be solved.

4. Not having a striker who gets in behind
You need somebody to be getting in behind defenses to get chances through on goal. If you don't its like having an army without a front line. It seems we have plenty of possesion but when it comes to it there's no-one on the defenders shoulder just waiting for it to be dinked in behind so they can get one on one and score.

Solution: Well there's 2 roads to go down with this one. You can either bring in somebody who will do this, ei Benzema, and add to problem 3. Or just tell at least one of the strikers, who wouldnt normally do this, to just spend their time looking to go in behind, even if it sacrifices their chances of being involved in the build up play which they think theyr are best at. The risk of this is that a player has his own style, and may not play in a wholely different way to suit the system.

5. Lack of intensity When you have people who really fight for the team, it rubs off on others and it adds to the intensity. As it is we have a lack of that. And it just means people are a little slower making their runs and seeing the passes so maybe you lose a bit of cutting edge. I think this is why Fletcher has been in the team alot this season because he adds a bit of fight and urgency to the midfield

Solution: The players just need to motivate themselves to play with that bit extra intensity and urgency like they did last season, and they'll soon find they get that extra yard of space from defenders to create and take chances

6. No bruising target man working the back 4 If you have a big target man (ei Heskey or Drogba of old) people gamble on runs past them as they occupy defenders and win flicks ons into them, so people get the ball in scoring positions. But frankly I don't think this a neccesity and I think if the above problems are solved you don't need a target man.

7. Teams defending deeper than usual Teams are defending far deeper than ever this season against us, and it does stop you playing the normal defense-splitting football we're used to, aswell as helping our defensive record, but we just have to deal with that and learn to get goals regardless of teams defending in numbers.

They're just my thoughts, please comment on it as I'd love to hear why you disagree or agree with them.
:)

·
Registered
4,462 Posts
So no team put ten men behind the ball lat year? Thats bull.

We are creating chances like someone said, all the pundits say after the game that we could have won 3 or 4 nil.
Ronaldo could have shoot a few times yeaterday but choose to pass.
The big wins are coming IMO.
Look at our attacking line up, the best i the prem.

·
Banned
27,712 Posts
VaVaVoom said:
So no team put ten men behind the ball lat year? Thats bull.

We are creating chances like someone said, all the pundits say after the game that we could have won 3 or 4 nil.
Ronaldo could have shoot a few times yeaterday but choose to pass.
The big wins are coming IMO.
Look at our attacking line up, the best i the prem.
not saying they didn't but this season more than most they are and you cant deny that almost every match it happens that didn't happen last season name one team outside of the top 4 who came at us and attacked us this season outside of hull and wigan(stoke at home too and that's why we hammered them)

IMO that's because this season things haven't gone his way when he takes shots 9 outta 10 of them would have went in last season he had two perfectly gaoals rulled out against Chelsea its just not happening for the lad this season and i think its affecting his confidence

the bit in bold i said would happen after the Chelsea match and it didn't :( hopefully your right though but id still take all 1-0 wins from here to may

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
we're winning matches and getting results, title teams alsways have to grind out results, just that this season were having to do it more and more- we have had free scoring spells and its more than likely they will return again

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
"we choose to go to the moon in this decade and do the other things, not because they are easy but because they are hard" john f kennedy

·
Registered
4,462 Posts
cantos red army said:
not saying they didn't but this season more than most they are and you cant deny that almost every match it happens that didn't happen last season name one team outside of the top 4 who came at us and attacked us this season outside of hull and wigan(stoke at home too and that's why we hammered them)

IMO that's because this season things haven't gone his way when he takes shots 9 outta 10 of them would have went in last season he had two perfectly gaoals rulled out against Chelsea its just not happening for the lad this season and i think its affecting his confidence

the bit in bold i said would happen after the Chelsea match and it didn't :( hopefully your right though but id still take all 1-0 wins from here to may
Are problem is our Midfield Canto, as Richie said in that very good post.
Look teams have been putting men behind the ball against us for years, what i'm trying to say is the opposition aint the problem our Midfield simple aint creative enough, would Barca not score against teams like Stoke and Bolton.. they would because they can create chances.

We Need our midfield to buck up!!!

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
VaVaVoom said:
Look teams have been putting men behind the ball against us for years, what i'm trying to say is the opposition aint the problem our Midfield simple aint creative enough, would Barca not score against teams like Stoke and Bolton.. they would because they can create chances.

we do need the midfield to buck up exactly where is the midfield general, where is the player putting the ball in the net in midfield.....in the past we have had several players in the middle of the park all contributing regualar goals-its been missed for a while. ronaldos extraordinary goalscoring over the last couple of years has masked that problem

·
Least popular Moderator
24,837 Posts
The difference is Ronaldo isn't bagging a goal a game.

Without his goals last season we would have had the same problem as we are having now.

Its simple IMO.

·
Banned
27,712 Posts
VaVaVoom said:

but you just siad were creating the chances in your last post:confused: :rolleyes: i think we do have a creative midfield maybe not the most but carrick and scholsey are superb passer of the balls and can split any defense in a second! look at Liverpools midfield Gerrard and mascherano hardly the most creative but there still scoring goals its the teams putting 10 man behind the ball its even more than usual this season IMO! barca aren't in the prem though and IMHO its at a higher stranded than the Spanish league! they are the best team in europe but i dont think they could handle some of the pyhsical battles in the prem tbh

·
Banned
27,712 Posts
TheManc said:
The difference is Ronaldo isn't bagging a goal a game.

Without his goals last season we would have had the same problem as we are having now.

Its simple IMO.
exactly things just aren't going right for him this season witch has a major effect on our goalscoring but i also think the fact that almost every game this season we've played have had 10 men behind the ball and when they haven't its been no coincidence that weve racked up big scores(stoke home 5-0 hull home 5-3 Chelsea 3-0 wba 3-0 could have been for actually :confused:?)

1 - 20 of 43 Posts