Manchester United Talk banner

121 - 140 of 166 Posts

·
Registered
368 Posts
I'd probably agree with that.

If it was up to me though I'd get it done tomorrow, because I see no reason whatsoever to keep him on.
Bit of rant- excuse me

bollocks, out of tournament again- Levein isn't solely to blame though- limited resources in player talent + IMO he was wrong appointment in 1st place i.e, I think Levein has management ability but with Scotland you have limited time to work with the players, Scotland needs a winner / motivator, someone who's respected & can bring the best out of limited talent in a short space of time.

Couple of things that fck me off-

1. Rather than Levein I want to see all these suits in the SFA made accountable, Campbell what's his face, George Peat (Ex), - what the fck have they really done for Scottish Football other than administrate? Weak appointments, lack of strategy, these guys have clearly demonstrated that they don't have a clue on how to move Scottish football forward.

2. Fcks me off how many Scottish legends you see that could & should be more supportive of the Scottish game & national side. Fergie included, Dalglish, Souness, Hansen, Jordon, Strachan & more- world class ex players & managers but so content south of the border either managing or as pundits they almost talk about Scotland like they don't come from there at times?

It's exactly these type of guys that Scotland need to be more involved? Someone who can inspire, not Levein, no one can even remember who he played for?

·
Banned
15,336 Posts
Bit of rant- excuse me...
Believe me, I've posted on here before about how useless the SFA are so they definitely deserve criticism so I won't go into that much.

I've never wanted Levein in the job either, he's an overrated manager who was picked mainly because the media liked him imo. Why did the media like him? Mainly because a) before managing Scotland he tried to be their buddy and b) he had a good record of results against the Old Firm. But he didn't do anything to get the job in the first place.

Even despite the criticism he's getting now, he's got off lightly compared to Burley and Vogts. The players they had at their disposal weren't as good as the players now (especially Vogts, the options we had back then were atrocious) yet he's got a worse record than them and nowhere near the level of criticism they did.

He has at his disposal the best Scotland squad for over a decade, yet results and performances are just getting worse. Never mind harking back to the days when we actually qualified for tournaments, his Scotland team has got nothing on the teams that McLeish and Smith managed.

Levein isn't suited to being Scotland manager and never will be - both football wise and personality wise.

Also, I think criticising the likes of fergie, Moyes etc is harsh. The reality is that managers want to work at the highest level they can, that's what ambition is and unfortunately that's not Scottish football or the National Team. And I don't think they really talk Scotland down or anything like that, I think they're realists.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Also, I think criticising the likes of fergie, Moyes etc is harsh. The reality is that managers want to work at the highest level they can, that's what ambition is and unfortunately that's not Scottish football or the National Team. And I don't think they really talk Scotland down or anything like that, I think they're realists.
fair enuff- maybe not so much current managers as can appreciate Moyes / Fergie can't be seen to be too nationalist etc

but don't you feel there's too many top Scots south of the border that could support the game back north a little more? isn't there something wrong about having all these top Scottish managers & pundits in England "the best league in the world" when Scottish league is currently being derided as among worst in Europe?

·
Banned
15,336 Posts
fair enuff- maybe not so much current managers as can appreciate Moyes / Fergie can't be seen to be too nationalist etc

but don't you feel there's too many top Scots south of the border that could support the game back north a little more? isn't there something wrong about having all these top Scottish managers & pundits in England "the best league in the world" when Scottish league is currently being derided as among worst in Europe?
Perhaps a bit, but I would say it's more the managers who are out of work, who would rather sit and wait for a Premiership or even Championship job rather than come back up and actually get into a job. Clubs in Scotland might be reluctant to make a move thinking they're out of reach, but the managers could show more interest if they were bothered.

It's especially the case if they haven't managed in Scotland before. Fair enough if they've already managed in Scotland and don't feel they have anything else to achieve, but it's pretty negative wanting to sit doing nothing rather than get back into the swing of things.

·
Smeghead Moderator
13,665 Posts
I've stuck a fiver on Scotland to beat Wales (sorry hd :oops:).

I was umming and ahhing about who to back (Wales and Scotland were both 13/8) and despite Wales being at home and having Bale I reckon the return of the Fletcher's is a huge boost for Scotland and will be enough for them to win this one.
Looks like I underestimated the Bale factor :oops:

Oh, and the referee's assistant is a douche factor. :rolleyes:

·
Banned
15,336 Posts
There's hope yet :dance:

BBC Football said:
Scotland coach Craig Levein expects to learn his fate early next week.

Levein's future is being discussed after a run of poor results left the national side bottom of their World Cup qualifying group.

Speaking to BBC Scotland, Levein said: "The squad for the Luxembourg game will be named on Tuesday and there will be an announcement before then.

"I'm hugely proud to be Scotland manager and want to continue doing the job."

The Scottish Football Association is due to meet on Thursday to discuss Levein's future.

After defeat by Belgium in October, Scotland are bottom of World Cup qualifying Group A with two points from four matches.

Levein says that, despite those results, he wants to continue in the role and has already spoken this week to the SFA's chief executive and president.

"I had a chat with Stewart Regan and Campbell Ogilvie and I'll find out one way or the other early next week," the coach told BBC Scotland's Sportscene programme.

Levein was speaking while acting as a pundit during live coverage of the Scottish Communities League Cup quarter-final between two of his former clubs, Dundee United and Hearts.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/20161334

·
Banned
15,336 Posts
What a cheek. :rolleyes: :mad:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/20245366

Craig Levein is considering legal action following his dismissal as Scotland manager.

The 48-year-old was relieved of his duties on Monday, with Scotland at the bottom of World Cup qualifying Group A.

"I am extremely disappointed by the process of the last week," Levein said in a statement.

"I note the position as stated by the Scottish Football Association but do not concur and I am currently taking legal advice as to my options."

The SFA said it had taken into account Levein's "stated intention - expressed to the president and chief executive - to leave the job at the end of the World Cup campaign".

And the governing body said they would honour the former manager's contract, with payments over the next 20 months.
"I would like to thank everyone who has supported the team and I during my time as Scotland manager," added Levein, who won just three of the 12 competitive games he oversaw.

"It has been a privilege to have done the job and I would like to thank my back room staff who have worked tirelessly during my time as manager.

"Most of all I would like to thank the players for their unswerving loyalty, effort and professionalism."

·
Banned
15,336 Posts
:ROFL:

His whole case would be built around the fantastic job he "done" at grassroots. Completely leave out the state of senior level.
Yes, but he quite obviously did a great job at senior level. I mean, look at this for an achievement.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/20235457

Managerless Scotland have dropped to their lowest position in the Fifa world rankings for more than seven years.

Scotland, who lost their World Cup qualifiers against Wales and Belgium in October, fell 14 spots to 70th, their worst ranking since being 74th in 2005.

England move down a place from fifth to sixth, the Republic of Ireland are 36th and Wales are 66th but Northern Ireland climb 17 positions to 100th place.

World champions Spain remain top, ahead of Germany, Argentina and Portugal.

Scotland's worst ever ranking came in March 2005 when they were in 88th position, but their latest drop puts them below Gabon (52nd), Cape Verde Islands (63rd) and Uzbekistan (69th).

England, ranked third in September, fall down to sixth following their 1-1 draw in Warsaw against Poland.

Wales are nine places lower than they were in October as their 2-1 win against Scotland was followed by a 2-0 defeat in Croatia.

·
Banned
15,336 Posts
Seriously, what planet does this guy live on? He should be hanging his head in shame. :facepalm :stomp::adolf:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/20783529

Craig Levein has opened legal proceedings against the Scottish Football Association.

Levein was sacked on 5 November amid a poor run in their 2014 World Cup qualification campaign.

In a statement, the SFA said it had been served with a writ "despite the Scottish FA's offer to honour Craig's contract in full".

Levein, 48, was "relieved of his duties", with Under-21 coach Billy Stark being put in temporary charge.

However, last month it emerged that Levein was seeking legal advice.

He was sacked with Scotland at the foot of World Cup qualifying Group A, and the governing body said it would honour the former manager's contract, with payments over the next 20 months.

The statement read: "The Scottish FA has since received notification that Craig has chosen to resign, thereby foregoing the offer made to honour his contract in full.

"In the notification received, failure to make a proposal in lieu of compensation has been cited. It is the view of the Scottish FA that no such offer is required given Craig's decision to resign, especially since an offer of mediation was rejected by his legal representatives.

"We will make no further comment at this time."

·
Banned
15,336 Posts
Various newspapers are reporting that Strachan is the man. Some reports saying that he'll be in Glasgow tomorrow to take the job, but whatever the case he's expected to be named manager within 48 hours.

He was the favourite for the job, and the obvious choice, but he's the right choice imo. He's the man I wanted and expected.

·
Never argue with an idiot
2,463 Posts
How in fucks name did Scotland go in at half time one up against Wales. They were absolute shite, should've been 3-0 down after 20 mins. Football bloody hell! :eek:

·
F.U.B.A.R.
436 Posts
Well, another campaign finished early. Plus point, I went to my first away match to Serbia. Was amazing to see if nothing else. Cost a fortune to go get pissed and be able to call myself a Tartan Army footsoldier. Roll on the next campaign and for the record, I think Strachan is the right appointment.

121 - 140 of 166 Posts