Manchester United Talk banner

141 - 160 of 166 Posts

·
Banned
15,336 Posts
I'm shocked by that result. I honestly didn't expect anything from that at all. In fact, I thought Croatia would win this game quite comfortably because we've been in a bad way.

So it's an outstanding result, and one that I think is deserved. We deserved a draw at least I would say. The first half performance was excellent and we played some decent stuff. The second half we dug in and defended well.

I don't want to get ahead of myself, because one game doesn't erase the mess we've been in and there's certainly a lot of work to do. But it's a fantastic result and leaves me feeling a lot more optimistic. A great result to build on.

·
F.U.B.A.R.
436 Posts
I missed the game as could not get my internet to work properly here in Nigeria. Great win for the boys though. Pity I was working, would have been an awesome away game to be at. Certainly gives us something to work with.

·
He wipes front to back
27,655 Posts
Good result. I feel that Rangers plight could help Scottish national side because they will have to field young scots.
Cheap foreign players have ruined chances for promising scottish youngsters to push through

·
Smeghead Moderator
13,665 Posts
I've just seen the Scotland squad for the upcoming game against England and I was stunned by how few players in the national team are playing in Scotland.

None of the goalkeepers, just 2 of the defenders, 3 of the midfielders and none of the strikers. That's 5 players out of a 29 man squad!!!

Scotland squad:
Goalkeepers: Matt Gilks (Blackpool) David Marshall (Cardiff City) Allan McGregor (Hull City)
Defenders: Gordon Greer (Brighton and Hove Albion) Steven Hammell (Motherwell) Grant Hanley (Blackburn Rovers) Alan Hutton (Aston Villa) Russell Martin (Norwich City) Charlie Mulgrew (Celtic) Andy Webster (Unattached) Steven Whittaker (Norwich City)
Midfielders: Charlie Adam (Stoke City) Barry Bannan (Aston Villa) George Boyd (Hull City) Liam Bridcutt (Brighton and Hove Albion) Chris Burke (Birmingham City) Scott Brown (Celtic) Craig Conway (Cardiff City) Graham Dorrans (West Bromwich Albion) James Forrest (Celtic) Gary Mackay-Steven (Dundee United) Shaun Maloney (Wigan Athletic) James McArthur (Wigan Athletic) James Morrison (West Bromwich Albion) Robert Snodgrass (Norwich City)
Forwards: Leigh Griffiths (Wolverhampton Wanderers) Steven Naismith (Everton) Kenny Miller (Vancouver Whitecaps) Jordan Rhodes (Blackburn Rovers)

·
F.U.B.A.R.
436 Posts
That is the way just now I am afraid. Scottish football sucks, even more so domestically sadly.. No real class to be honest. There is a few young guys coming through though, that as long as the agents do not turn their heads and get them moves down south too early to shite teams might make something of themselves rather than disappear off the planet.

·
Banned
15,336 Posts
I've just seen the Scotland squad for the upcoming game against England and I was stunned by how few players in the national team are playing in Scotland.

None of the goalkeepers, just 2 of the defenders, 3 of the midfielders and none of the strikers. That's 5 players out of a 29 man squad!!!

That should be a good thing for Scotland. I think it's obvious that Scottish football isn't of a good quality and hasn't been for a long time, so these players playing at a higher level should be beneficial both to them as individuals and the team.

As for the game generally, passions will run high of course but I don't know if we'll really see a great game. It's probably true that both teams are at difficult stages, rebuilding, albeit Scotland got a brilliant result in the last game away to Croatia.

·
Banned
15,336 Posts
Kenny Miller has announced his retirement from international football...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/23809765
I think the time is right tbh.

Overall, Miller has been a good player for Scotland. It's true that he isn't great technically and he's not a particularly good finisher either. But that was never really his most imporant job for Scotland. He was in the team for his work-rate and to lead the line, especially considering he's played as a lone striker most of the time and in difficult periods for the national team. He's done his job well.

However, mainly because of his age but also because he's playing in the MLS (travelling etc), he simply can't play that role anymore imo. And I think it's important that Scotland moves on and brings some of the younger players on, especially considering the other three strikers we have are better than him (Fletcher, Rhodes and Griffiths)

·
Banned
15,336 Posts
Things certainly are a lot better under Strachan. We are progressing and he's improved things greatly.

As haggs said, he's brought the pride back. But he's better tactically and the players and fans have much more respect for him. His record is pretty good so far, especially when you consider what he inherited.

And he's found someone who could be a star for us in Ikechi Anya. Two great performances during his time on the pitch.

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
@Jay007 I've known Kech and his brother for a good few years, he's a good guy and he deserves all the success he's getting now. It seems Scotland are moving in the right direction, with Strachan in charge they have someone who can get them playing some decent football again.

·
Banned
15,336 Posts
@Jay007 I've known Kech and his brother for a good few years, he's a good guy and he deserves all the success he's getting now. It seems Scotland are moving in the right direction, with Strachan in charge they have someone who can get them playing some decent football again.
That's cool. I can understand why you'd feel so happy, because I'm really happy for him and I don't know him :p.

I think he's been excellent in the last two games and could be a star for Scotland, as I said in the last post. As well as his good attacking play, he was also more than willing to help out behind him when needed.

Hopefully he keeps it up, both for Scotland's sake and his because he does look to be a good guy as you've confirmed.

141 - 160 of 166 Posts