Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
has been served
Joined
·
2,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Giovani_dos_santos

DailyMirror said:
Tottenham manager Harry Redknapp is desperate to offload Mexican forward Giovani Dos Santos and says the club's transfer policy was a shambles before he arrived.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/gossip_and_transfers/7806813.stm
He was a potential target last year, but moved to Spurs. I'm sure most people here have heard of him but if you havent. http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=jYxLKlVKsjU shouldn enlighten you. I'm not going to go into a big tactical rant but this kid can finish and make some deadly runs, a combination that is undoubtedly going to flourish when you're being fed wonderballs from Rooney, Berbatov, Scholes, Anderson, Carrick etc.

I'm no expert on him but seeing him in the PL a few times made me think of him as "promising". I think he would be the perfect buy for us. We really only have 2 real wingers in Nani and Ronaldo, Park doesn't have the technical ability to beat fullbacks and Giggs lacks the pace, so he looks to me the perfect replacement for Giggs, left footed aswell.

The Daily Mirror quote further reinforces this. Instead of United bringing in a top star, which leads to personalities like Ronaldos, we would be saving this kids careers. This would bring an entirely different mentality to OT. Also, he would be cheap as chips since Spurs brought him for £4-8mil so we shouldnt be paying much more than that.

Hope you're reading this Fergie.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
15,336 Posts
Tbh, I would say go for it! :)

When I found out that we were interested (and he did say that he turned us down,) I was quite disappointed that we missed out on him. He certainly has potential imo, and he could be what we're looking for.

We do need another left-winger imo. The Tosic move looks as though it has stalled, and I think Dos Santos could well be a cheaper option (not sure how they compare as players though, as I've never seen Tosic play.)

I don't think it will happen though.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,730 Posts
I cant see it happening why did barca let him go ?

He cant be as good as everyone thought as he wouldnt of been flogged to spurs would he .

All you can say is that he is a talented lad but he needs to rebuild his career in a middle of the road premiership club as if he was a world class talent spurs wouldnt want to offload him .
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,740 Posts
I think he has real potential but obviously all the managers aren't seeing it, Barca letting him go, Harry not bothered. I thought he'd turn into one of the worlds best players. I wouldn't mind him at United, don't see why they are selling him he is young, and its his first season in the PL you don't expect him to shine in his 1st season.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,730 Posts
Nemanjaaa said:
I think he has real potential but obviously all the managers aren't seeing it, Barca letting him go, Harry not bothered. I thought he'd turn into one of the worlds best players. I wouldn't mind him at United, don't see why they are selling him he is young, and its his first season in the PL you don't expect him to shine in his 1st season.
He wants to raise some cash harry isnt daft he knows a class player if he see's one and if he was top draw he wouldnt be selling him !
 

·
has been served
Joined
·
2,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Nemanjaaa said:
I think he has real potential but obviously all the managers aren't seeing it, Barca letting him go, Harry not bothered. I thought he'd turn into one of the worlds best players. I wouldn't mind him at United, don't see why they are selling him he is young, and its his first season in the PL you don't expect him to shine in his 1st season.
Barca have enough young talent in Bojan and Messi to let someone go.
 

·
has been served
Joined
·
2,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
red dave said:
He wants to raise some cash harry isnt daft he knows a class player if he see's one and if he was top draw he wouldnt be selling him !
Or perhaps Redknapp just doesnt use players in his position or doesnt reckon he will fit in the squad.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,930 Posts
at football manager 2009 he becomes a quality player. i got him from spurs at around..15 mil i think...and sold him to real only a year after at Real Madrid for 60 mil....well i don't know how far from reality is the game..but..Dos Santos is surely one of the hotest prospects there is.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
27,712 Posts
Justice said:
Or perhaps Redknapp just doesnt use players in his position or doesnt reckon he will fit in the squad.
ya i rckon thats it you dont come y with the reputation of the next ronaldinho without been very very talanted! and didnt barca have a buy back clause aswell?

this fella is meant to be rated higer than his compatriot vela who looks class
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,305 Posts
I think he would be a great signing. Would love to see him at OT. Maybe get him on loan til end of season with option to buy, at least then it ain't a gamble.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
27,712 Posts
Berbatov9 said:
I think he would be a great signing. Would love to see him at OT. Maybe get him on loan til end of season with option to buy, at least then it ain't a gamble.

nice goal agasint boro ;) seriously though welcome to the site :) !

see what your saying mate but we hardly ever get players on loan! but would be a great option dont see it happining though
 

·
has been served
Joined
·
2,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
cantos red army said:
ya i rckon thats it you dont come y with the reputation of the next ronaldinho without been very very talanted! and didnt barca have a buy back clause aswell?

this fella is meant to be rated higer than his compatriot vela who looks class

Redknapp has very rarely kept flair players like dos Santos, Kranjcar was the most creative player at Pompey and even he was made to stick to his position and not get over his head or be to risky. Who knows. End of the day, you are questioning the reliability of the source where as I'm trying to state that we should go for him anyway, since when have we not successfully brought a player from Spurs?
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
27,712 Posts
Justice said:
Redknapp has very rarely kept flair players like dos Santos, Kranjcar was the most creative player at Pompey and even he was made to stick to his position and not get over his head or be to risky. Who knows. End of the day, you are questioning the reliability of the source where as I'm trying to state that we should go for him anyway, since when have we not successfully brought a player from Spurs?

ya he doesnt like his flair players he tends to go for the workers and the players who keep it simple! but i dont get the 2nd piece of your post :confused: wanna fill me in?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,547 Posts
Justice said:
Redknapp has very rarely kept flair players like dos Santos, Kranjcar was the most creative player at Pompey and even he was made to stick to his position and not get over his head or be to risky. Who knows. End of the day, you are questioning the reliability of the source where as I'm trying to state that we should go for him anyway, since when have we not successfully brought a player from Spurs?
The summer of 2008.:cool:
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
27,712 Posts
spellbound said:
The summer of 2008.:cool:
dont say it too loud hes joined the forum ;) :p !

seriously too early ti judge him yet where at the midpoint of the season wait untill the end of the season the goal agsint boro will spur him on(i hope)
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
12,703 Posts
Justice said:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Giovani_dos_santos



He was a potential target last year, but moved to Spurs. I'm sure most people here have heard of him but if you havent. http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=jYxLKlVKsjU shouldn enlighten you. I'm not going to go into a big tactical rant but this kid can finish and make some deadly runs, a combination that is undoubtedly going to flourish when you're being fed wonderballs from Rooney, Berbatov, Scholes, Anderson, Carrick etc.

I'm no expert on him but seeing him in the PL a few times made me think of him as "promising". I think he would be the perfect buy for us. We really only have 2 real wingers in Nani and Ronaldo, Park doesn't have the technical ability to beat fullbacks and Giggs lacks the pace, so he looks to me the perfect replacement for Giggs, left footed aswell.

The Daily Mirror quote further reinforces this. Instead of United bringing in a top star, which leads to personalities like Ronaldos, we would be saving this kids careers. This would bring an entirely different mentality to OT. Also, he would be cheap as chips since Spurs brought him for £4-8mil so we shouldnt be paying much more than that.

Hope you're reading this Fergie.
Personalities like Ronaldo and Rooney were of similar ages
to Giovanni dos Santos, our transfer policy has been targeting
youths for a few years now rather than mixing homegrown and
imported experience.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,457 Posts
Wouldn't mind that at all. Especially because I'm sure we could buy him on the cheap. Maybe £6 - £8 million.

The reason he left Barca was he was behind Eto'o, Henry, Messi, Ronaldinho & Bojan. Honestly who competes with that? :p

Now Ronaldinho''s gone but he'd still be behind Hleb & the rest.
 

·
has been served
Joined
·
2,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
PeeJay said:
Personalities like Ronaldo and Rooney were of similar ages
to Giovanni dos Santos, our transfer policy has been targeting
youths for a few years now rather than mixing homegrown and
imported experience.
I meant more like those players had the wonderkid mentality about them, all the hype from the papers, tv and the big money on the table. Giovani would be more concenered with saving his career rather than fulfilling it.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
12,703 Posts
Justice said:
I meant more like those players had the wonderkid mentality about them, all the hype from the papers, tv and the big money on the table. Giovani would be more concenered with saving his career rather than fulfilling it.
I disagree, he's played 6 games for a Premiership team at age 19,
I doubt he'd get much more at United.
 
1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Top