Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How silly is this------------------Michael Owen for United ? Why not-----He would cost nothing and his wages wouldnt be a problem. Plays well with Rooney. We havent had a "Fox in the Box" since RVN and arguably need a decent finisher. Hes back from injury cant wait to leave Blobby land and could have a full pre season with us. What better way for him to restate any England claims. Its a no lose scenario---If he gets injured again---so what ? If hes a success its cost us bugger all. Oh and doesnt he like to live in the North West ?
I am now donning heavy flak jacket and awaiting "Dogs abuse"---Think about it though.

·
Registered
3,349 Posts
few people have brought this up and simple answer is.....no

his having a terrible run at newcastle. lost his career at madrid. never had the proper guidance to reach his potential after liverpool and is suffering for it now.

good point is he will come cheap but his not the type of man you want when your aiming what we are aiming for.

dont get me wrong tho boy was class at pool

but no would never take him at united. can do better

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
few people have brought this up and simple answer is.....no

his having a terrible run at newcastle. lost his career at madrid. never had the proper guidance to reach his potential after liverpool and is suffering for it now.

good point is he will come cheap but his not the type of man you want when your aiming what we are aiming for.

dont get me wrong tho boy was class at pool

but no would never take him at united. can do better
Proven finisher---had a terrific record in Spain mainly coming off the bench. Newcastle are a disaster full stop.I think its a win win situation and doesnt stop us looking at or pursuing other options.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
I think he'd be a good option. Maybe even get one of those ''pay as you play deals'' to see if he can put his injuries behind him

·
Registered
3,017 Posts
Nah, I wouldn't be interested in his services if i'm being honest.

He was a top player in his day but unfortunately for him, injuries have plagued his career.
I heard Everton were interested in him and I think he'd be a good purchase for them, but not good enough for us.

·
Registered
3,139 Posts
He knows he's past it why did he go to newcastle? because they pay big money to ***** players lol. Was a proven finisher now an injury nightmare. He'd be just like Louis Saha always bloody injured (i still love you louis).

·
Registered
141 Posts
his hungers gone all he is interested in is his big fat contract and gambling i think he is near retirement now unless he wants to spend the next couple of seasons with shearer counting there money

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Not for me thanks. id rather see Macheda and Wellbeck getting their chances from the bench than an unfit injury prone Owen.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
His time at Newcastle has been a complete disaster. Hes been playing in a poor team with poor service and bonkers ownership. Who can blame him for not re-signing.I can see him doing a similar job for us as the one he did in Spain-----ie coming off the bench and scoring. Much like Oly used to do.I am not comparing them as players but Owen could deffo do a similar job.How many times in the past two seasons have we outplayed teams but not got the goal tally we should have done ? If he was going to cost Mega millions I wouldnt even consider it-- but hes not. For sure Macheda has done it twice for us this season and what a surprise bonus that was which only goes to highlight our need in this area. He would thrive on the sort of service we would give him. Class is permanent and he has always had that.

·
Smeghead Moderator
13,664 Posts
Its a no lose scenario---If he gets injured again---so what ?
Astronomical wages and medical bills is a no lose scenario?

Owen is always likely to get you goals but signing an ex-Scouser is a risky thing for any United manager to do.

When he was at Liverpool he averaged 42 games per season and at Real Madrid he made 43 appearances during his 1 season. Since joining Newcastle he has averaged 18.5 games per season. If that's not an injury-prone player then I don't know what is!!!

I really don't think it's worth the risk.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
For sure Macheda has done it twice for us this season and what a surprise bonus that was which only goes to highlight our need in this area. He would thrive on the sort of service we would give him. Class is permanent and he has always had that.
so why sign someone who will stop macheda getting those chances? singing Owen would not help the progression of 2 very good young strikers.

·
23,699 Posts
No thanks.

It would be two steps backward. I would rather we promote Macheda and Wellbeck for the future than to sign a has-been striker. Notwithstanding the frequent injuries and high salary, the cheaper transfer fees can't compensate for the precious opportunities for our young starlets either. We need to think forward and plan for our future.

·
Registered
3,017 Posts
No thanks.

It would be two steps backward. I would rather we promote Macheda and Wellbeck for the future than to sign a has-been striker. Notwithstanding the frequent injuries and high salary, the cheaper transfer fees can't compensate for the precious opportunities for our young starlets either. We need to think forward and plan for our future.
+1 Exactly what I feel. Signing Owen would disrupt the development of the likes of Macheda and Wellbeck.

·
Banned
9,511 Posts
WHat's the difference between signing Tevez and not restricting the kids, and signing Owen instead and restricting the kids ? :confused:

·
Thank you Sir Alex
5,528 Posts
If injuries can be discounted, re-signing Saha would be a better option.

We have our fair share of crocks, so no thanks.

·
Registered
3,017 Posts
WHat's the difference between signing Tevez and not restricting the kids, and signing Owen instead and restricting the kids ? :confused:
To be honest I don't think we should sign Tevez anyway.
But I wasn't sure if this was about signing Owen to what we already have or not.
I don't really think we should sign another striker at all. But that's my opinion.

But I know what ya mean. IMO the reason I feel it would be restricting the youger players if we signed Owen is because, it would be a new player at the club and it would take up game time trying to help Owen adapt to the way we play. We know what Tevez can do already and Fergie knows who he can play with upfront, what games to play him in etc. so Macheda and Wellbeck will get regular enough chances anyway.

·
Registered
53 Posts
How would Macheda / Welbeck feel if we signed Owen ??? No doubting his pedigree, no
doubting his glass hamstrings either, and he has been pretty dross at Toon. Regardless of
how poor the service at Toon, he has not covered himself in glory. Think his best days are
behind him, however, I'd back Fergies' judgement if he signed him..... as what the **** do
I know ???????????? Plus, would he arrive at training in his Choppa ???

·
Banned
9,511 Posts
How would Macheda / Welbeck feel if we signed Owen ??? No doubting his pedigree, no
doubting his glass hamstrings either, and he has been pretty dross at Toon. Regardless of
how poor the service at Toon, he has not covered himself in glory. Think his best days are
behind him, however, I'd back Fergies' judgement if he signed him..... as what the **** do
I know ???????????? Plus, would he arrive at training in his Choppa ???
You missed out a question mark.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts