Manchester United Talk banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Arse Bandito
1,527 Posts
I agree with the idea that the Champions League is often fought out between the English teams and that perhaps more champions should be in the champions league.
But the reality is that Platini is again enforcing rules that try to get the english teams out of Europe.
It will in fact make it a bit more of a mismatch. Instead of Liverpool/Villareal/Fiorentina and other good european teams, they will be replaced by low rate serbian/estonian/slovakian etc teams. How does this really increase the spectacle. Surely, it doesn't help solve the problem. It just reduces the number of good teams.

·
Arse Bandito
1,527 Posts
red dave said:
I think its a good thing make our mini league of the top four teams more intresting knowing that a really bad season will result in a difficult game in the qualifiers .

Im all for the smaller countrys getting a piece of the pie maybe they will go out in the group stage but the money they will make would be brilliant and only strengthen european football .
I suppose I agree with you. The importance of top 3 would now mean that out of the big 4, one team will always have to go the hard way, and will thus make the premier league more interesting. But i doubt that's what Platini was thinking.

On the point of the money for smaller teams, in the long run, yes they will strengthen, but i think it will be a few years of mismatch football until then.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.