Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 20 of 99 Posts

·
He wipes front to back
27,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
vds is past it ---- pig not good enough and foster young and injury prone .

toon are a laughing stock so why not get given in january ? he is first class and wasted in such a pile of dross

·
HODOR!
7,033 Posts
I agree witn you there Haggs.

I would have liked to see Given playing for us years ago but it never happened.
He is World class been one of the best keepers in the prem for years and he's from my county in Ireland!

·
All round nice guy
3,887 Posts
how can you say Foster is injury prone? he's been unlucky with TWO bad injuries.

Saha is what you call injury prone, breaking his leg getting off the bus.

I agree that VDS hasn't been very impressive, and I don't think Kuszcak will cut it.

However, I think Foster will, once he gets a bit of luck go his way.

·
He wipes front to back
27,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
christianoharleiro said:
how can you say Foster is injury prone? he's been unlucky with TWO bad injuries.

I agree that VDS hasn't been very impressive, and I don't think Kuszcak will cut it.

i come from an era where keepers played 42 games year in year out . do you not rate given ?
foster reminds me of kirkland ie unlucky and who wants an unlucky keeper?

·
Banned
15,336 Posts
There is no doubt in my mind that Given is a fantastic keeper. Hes been one of the best in the Prem, and if we were to sign him, you'd have no complaints from me.

I would love Foster to come through and be our no 1, so I would perhaps give him the chance to come back and to see if he can stay fit. If he can't, then we need to look for a new keeper.

Given is 32, so hes still got plenty of years left in him, and we could get him for a bit cheaper than other keepers imho.

I would probably prefer a younger keeper, like Neuer etc for example. But they will be more costly.

But, Given would be a great keeper to sign. The only potential problem would be that he seems to have had quite a few injuries over the last year or two.

·
There's Only One Darren Fletcher!
11,978 Posts
I dont think Newcastle would be willing to sell him though ... I mean he must be their best player now what ?

·
Registered
310 Posts
I always wondered when we were struggling to replace Schmeichel why Fergie
never tried to buy Given. He seems the ideal one to go for.

manutd004 said:
There is no doubt in my mind that Given is a fantastic keeper. Hes been one of the best in the Prem, and if we were to sign him, you'd have no complaints from me.

I would love Foster to come through and be our no 1, so I would perhaps give him the chance to come back and to see if he can stay fit. If he can't, then we need to look for a new keeper.

Given is 32, so hes still got plenty of years left in him, and we could get him for a bit cheaper than other keepers imho.

I would probably prefer a younger keeper, like Neuer etc for example. But they will be more costly.

But, Given would be a great keeper to sign. The only potential problem would be that he seems to have had quite a few injuries over the last year or two.
I would feel the exact same. I would like to see Given come in and have no
complaints but I really think Foster has what it takes given the chance. Shay's a
legend though.

·
Registered
6,607 Posts
haggler said:
vds is past it ---- pig not good enough and foster young and injury prone .

toon are a laughing stock so why not get given in january ? he is first class and wasted in such a pile of dross
no too old now, we should be looking forward, not back. Foster is the key.

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
This kind of thread kills me. Given is an Irish hero, one of the best goalies to have
EVER played in the Prem. A class act and a model, loyal pro.
I would love him at United in a heartbeat, especially as Edwin is nearing the end.
BUT:
Edwin is still a class number 1, United's number 1, European and Prem champion.
Im a huge Edwin fan and will back him through his recent sticky patch.
He will be legendary again.

Kuzzie is a very good keeper. He will be an able deputy for us, whether its for
Edwin, Foster or Given lol.

Foster is future England class and will get his chance. He has been unlcuky with
injuries and timing but he will get there in the end.

United are flush with keepers right now, but if Edwin was to leave next season,
Id take Shay in a heart beat.

Also, some above have labelled keepers injury prone. This isnt the case really.
Its more about bad luck and certain twists/tears you would get in a collision.
People say Given is injury prone. Was it his fault he got his stomach ripped open
by an attackers studs? He had a lot of time out and became succeptible
to strains and ache's which is what happened.
It took him a while to recover from that but now that he has, he is back in form
and getting LOTS of practice behind a dodgy Tooooooon defence.

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
christianoharleiro said:

- Just want to share that before Bn Foster joined Manchester United, he had a lengthy spell out of the game through knee ligament injury.

He sustained the injury playing tennis.

That's all.

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
We should have gone for Shay Given a long time ago, but having said that we should have moved for van der Sar a lot sooner too.

At his age, there's no point making a move for Given, so I'd rather give Foster a chance.

·
He wipes front to back
27,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
given has 5 or six good years left in him so how is he too old ? keepers can and regularly do improve as they enter mid thirties .

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
haggler said:
given has 5 or six good years left in him so how is he too old ? keepers can and regularly do improve as they enter mid thirties .

Valid point. Shay given would definitely be a starter, if he came to OT right now.
Maybe we can snap him up for pittance in January, but I really am convinced about Ben Foster and think he can be just as good.

My only worry is his injuries.

OK, if Ben Foster gets injured again, than I'll start praying for Fergie to buy Shay Given. :D

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
Ive never even thought of Given as a possible United player.
When I think about it and on the situation in the club I like the idea. He would be our new no 2 in the club...soon no 1.

But lets get real here. Eventhough Tomasz is more of a back up goalie then a Championship winning one and Foster is the raw talant but I dont think he'll ever be wearing the no one gloves at OT going after Given now we're having those two leaving the club with a bang. Both guys are expecting to get the chance when Ed is retiring in the summer (my guess) and they wouldnt want to see Fergie going after another guy to replace the first team goalie with a guy from outside.

Nice thought but wont happen.

·
Banned
15,336 Posts
haggler said:
Given is 32. We signed VDS at 34.

So again, the question. How is Given too old?

·
Banned
292 Posts
I think Given would be an excellent signing, with the injuries that Foster has had he would be better off out on loan where he can play regularly. I think wether Newcastle want to sell or not doesn't really matter, Given could force his way out just like Berbatov eventually exited Tottenham. If we could get Given for under 10 million that would be a great deal.

·
MUT all-time great
21,962 Posts
Buffon. Even though he'd never leave Juve. Ochoa and Foster would be the way to go, Given is too old.

1 - 20 of 99 Posts