Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Berbatov>Tevez
Joined
·
11,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are your thoughts on him ? This guy has been one of the best EPL goalkeepers for years ... he's got experience , relatively cheap, not too old ( younger than vds ) and certainly more established than tommy and ben.. i somehow doubt tommy has all the qualites to replace vds... foster on the other hand needs some competition and guideance... i remember some great great saves from this guy....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
25,467 Posts
Im not being biased even though Im Irish ;-) but this guy has been one of the most consistent keepers in the EPL for years. One of the best keepers in the world. Rarely makes mistakes and usually keeps the Toon in games. He wont leave Newcastle though. He is very happy there. They call him the Irish Geordie. He has been there a long time and he will see out his career there unless Big Sam starts messing him about and sticking Harper in goal but I cant see that happening.
He has won Irelands best player for the last 2 years running. Doesnt say much about Ireland but it shows how good he is.
 

·
Berbatov>Tevez
Joined
·
11,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Jazz 16 said:
Im not being biased even though Im Irish ;-) but this guy has been one of the most consistent keepers in the EPL for years. One of the best keepers in the world. Rarely makes mistakes and usually keeps the Toon in games. He wont leave Newcastle though. He is very happy there. They call him the Irish Geordie. He has been there a long time and he will see out his career there unless Big Sam starts messing him about and sticking Harper in goal but I cant see that happening.
He has won Irelands best player for the last 2 years running. Doesnt say much about Ireland but it shows how good he is.
let's hope for that
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,264 Posts
Jazz 16 said:
Im not being biased even though Im Irish ;-) but this guy has been one of the most consistent keepers in the EPL for years. One of the best keepers in the world. Rarely makes mistakes and usually keeps the Toon in games. He wont leave Newcastle though. He is very happy there. They call him the Irish Geordie. He has been there a long time and he will see out his career there unless Big Sam starts messing him about and sticking Harper in goal but I cant see that happening.
He has won Irelands best player for the last 2 years running. Doesnt say much about Ireland but it shows how good he is.

Agreed! Given really is a great keeper. Newcastle are very lucky to have him!
 

·
Berbatov>Tevez
Joined
·
11,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
what i don't understand is how a person decides - oh hell I'm not going to do anything with my career...sure i have potential, but i'm gonna stay at the poor club of underperformers ( although i love newcastle ) instead of playing worldclass football season in season out and be rolemodel for the kids...plus - i don't like the paycheck these top clubs offer me...
I mean - i know all that love-for-the-club thing, but isn't he a bit curious how would it be if he came
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
4,946 Posts
CROoney from Dubrovnik said:
what i don't understand is how a person decides - oh hell I'm not going to do anything with my career...sure i have potential, but i'm gonna stay at the poor club of underperformers ( although i love newcastle ) instead of playing worldclass football season in season out and be rolemodel for the kids...plus - i don't like the paycheck these top clubs offer me...
I mean - i know all that love-for-the-club thing, but isn't he a bit curious how would it be if he came
He is a very good role model for many people.

He shows us all that in this greedy self indulgent world - there are people with loyalty and respect for those who pay to see them !!!

Not many players would do this - wave some bloody money under their noses and all loyalty is forgotten about !!!

I think you make good point though - maybe he does wonder what it's like with a massive club - maybe he could earn more money too - but well done Mr Given for your loyalty and respect for your club.
 

·
Berbatov>Tevez
Joined
·
11,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
carlyluvsunited said:
He is a very good role model for many people.

He shows us all that in this greedy self indulgent world - there are people with loyalty and respect for those who pay to see them !!!

Not many players would do this - wave some bloody money under their noses and all loyalty is forgotten about !!!

I think you make good point though - maybe he does wonder what it's like with a massive club - maybe he could earn more money too - but well done Mr Given for your loyalty and respect for your club.
i didn't mean for money only... I meant for thrill to play beautifull football in front of beautifull fans ....to take another step in his career... It should have been a natural flow of events. I thought everyone wants to play with the best and be the best. But him being Irish, I can understand that. Not many other nations would chose that. They are a bit like us Southern Croats. We play for ourselves, for the joy, no pressure... Well done Shay...shame you won't come
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
788 Posts
Shay Given in my opinion is one of the best keepers in the world. He is always consistent, I will always remember his performance at the WC 2002, He was amazing! When does he ever do much wrong, A few years beat i was praying that Fergie would sign him. I have meet him loads of times, He lives a mile out the road from me back in Ireland and I have even had a drink with him and 2 holes of pitch and putt about two years back. He is sound as hell and very easy to speak to.

Shay is the best keeper in the Premier League since Schimeichel left in 99.
 

·
Berbatov>Tevez
Joined
·
11,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ARBUCKS said:
Shay Given in my opinion is one of the best keepers in the world. He is always consistent, I will always remember his performance at the WC 2002, He was amazing! When does he ever do much wrong, A few years beat i was praying that Fergie would sign him. I have meet him loads of times, He lives a mile out the road from me back in Ireland and I have even had a drink with him and 2 holes of pitch and putt about two years back. He is sound as hell and very easy to speak to.

Shay is the best keeper in the Premier League since Schimeichel left in 99.

i second that
 

·
has been served
Joined
·
2,947 Posts
Jeez got some fanboys here. Anyone heard of a Mr Petr Cech? But yeah Given is good, my only worry is that he's been playing low quality UEFA cup football at most for his whole career and if we get him, CL might be too much for him?
 

·
Berbatov>Tevez
Joined
·
11,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Justice said:
Jeez got some fanboys here. Anyone heard of a Mr Petr Cech? But yeah Given is good, my only worry is that he's been playing low quality UEFA cup football at most for his whole career and if we get him, CL might be too much for him?
youre right for Cech... i forgot about him
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,264 Posts
Justice said:
Jeez got some fanboys here. Anyone heard of a Mr Petr Cech? But yeah Given is good, my only worry is that he's been playing low quality UEFA cup football at most for his whole career and if we get him, CL might be too much for him?
Cech is not as good as people think, the Chelsea defence is good. Fair enough Cech makes some good saves, but in one on ones he loses! I would rate Given ahead of Cech! I am not being bias, just my honest opinion !
 

·
Smeghead Moderator
Joined
·
13,664 Posts
Shay Given is one of the best goalkeepers in the Premiership. He consistently saved Newcastle when they had one of the poorest defences in the division. I think he could easily make the step up to playing for one of the big 4 but I doubt Newcastle would even consider letting him go.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
25,467 Posts
Justice said:
Jeez got some fanboys here. Anyone heard of a Mr Petr Cech? But yeah Given is good, my only worry is that he's been playing low quality UEFA cup football at most for his whole career and if we get him, CL might be too much for him?

It wouldnt be a step up for him. He is the most capped Irish keeper of all time with about 80 caps or so. He has played against most of the top strikers in world football in the Prem or for his country. Nothing fazes this guy at all. He has been voted Irelands top player for the last few years. I agree with you that Cech is quality. All in all probably better than Given but he isnt worked half as hard in fairness.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
4,946 Posts
I would rather stand in Petr Cech's goal rather than Shay Given's.

Cech is only called upon on the few occassions the Chelsea defence lets people through.

For Given at Newcastle this must feel like a firing squad in his goal :p
 

·
has been served
Joined
·
2,947 Posts
Anderson's God said:
Cech is not as good as people think, the Chelsea defence is good. Fair enough Cech makes some good saves, but in one on ones he loses! I would rate Given ahead of Cech! I am not being bias, just my honest opinion !
:eek: I actually cant believe you just said that.
 

·
Berbatov>Tevez
Joined
·
11,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Given is maybe equal to Cech ( I can't remember any cech's blunder while I remember some of Shay's ) in terms of gk skills, but VDS is better than both of'em
 

·
has been served
Joined
·
2,947 Posts
No guys im sorry. Petr Cech is the best goalkeeper in the world there is no escaping that. He makes almost NO mistakes. However, the fact is, Chelsea have a shit defence =]
 
1 - 20 of 46 Posts
Top