Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.football365.com/story/0,17033,8652_3732039,00.html

KENYON ACCUSED IN TRIBUNAL HEARING

A former senior figure at Chelsea has accused the club of "inertia" and "betrayal of trust" in a bid to claim a six-figure compensation sum at an employment tribunal.

Paul Smith, ex Group Business Affairs Director of Chelsea, told the hearing Peter Kenyon repeatedly refused to settle the terms of his employment at the club.

He said he was initially offered a salary of £350,000 for six months, and the possibility of a 100 per cent bonus and a six figure golden bonus after 10 years were mentioned.

Mr Smith has a 25-year career in the football industry including staging the World Cup and UEFA matches.

He had known Mr Kenyon since 1992 when their paths crossed professionally, and their relationship eventually led to a job at Chelsea in September 2003.

The club had just been bought by Roman Abramovich and Mr Smith was "parachuted in" to cover as chief executive before Mr Kenyon began work.

No written contract was drafted.

Mr Smith said: "I was left to my own devices... Mr Abramovich merely told me not to screw up."

He was working 15-16 hour days, six days a week, and was eventually given an employment contract at the end of October.

This offered a salary of £300,000 and a 50 per cent bonus, so Mr Smith did not sign but awaited negotiations with Mr Kenyon.

Commenting on his work at that stage he said: "Mr Abramovich had sufficient confidence in me that I was entrusted with dealing on his behalf in the area closest to his heart, player transfers."

Negotiations over his salary continued, and at one point he was offered £500,000 and a bonus of £250,000, but this was later withdrawn.

Mr Smith said: "I was faced with an attitude reminiscent to one which confronted the pied piper: duties dispatched but respect and promises quickly forgotten."

He added: "From the beginning there was inertia and betrayal of trust by Mr Kenyon."

The former club executive said Mr Kenyon claimed he had been "neutered" by Roman Abramovich in terms of salary negotiations.

Mr Smith added: "Trying to focus Mr Kenyon on a solution became virtually impossible. It was like trying to nail jelly to a wall."

He is claiming a sum of £366,000 at the tribunal but claimed today that in terms of salary, bonus and unpaid benefits, the club owes him £950,000.

Mr Smith will take action at the High Court to claim the rest of the money.

Throughout his time at Chelsea, Mr Smith negotiated key deals including Samsung sponsorship worth £55million and football camps to be run with Disney.

He said he was told of his dismissal in a "cold and robotic" way by Mr Kenyon, who had disliked his comments appearing in newspapers.

He also accused Mr Kenyon of deliberately refusing to pay him and dismissing him to conceal this.

He said: "By removing me, the facts would never surface to become a blemish on his managerial record.

"If I had remained at CFC, Mr Kenyon would have had the embarrassment of having to explain away the history of the 'failed' contract negotiations and accumulative personal debt. With me gone, he could keep this sorry episode quiet for limited expense."

The hearing continues.

- Peter Kenyon certainly gets my vote for the most disliked person in football. I'm so disgusted by his inability to stay true to his word like when he reneged on his offer to PSG for Ronaldinho. When he left to Chel$ki, they ended up signing all ourtargets. What a dispicable man.

·
Banned
4,956 Posts
One of the best in his field when he was with United ...

That issue with Ronaldhino though ...

Oh dear ...

That was a faux pas of enormous size ...

Since then, he has been on a slippery slope.

Good luck to him, and to Chelsea ...

The whole place is a joke with the way
Abramobitch runs it.

He'll be there issuing directions, choosing the team, running the finances and
then ... out of the blue (no pun intended ;)) he's gone !!! He gets bored and
runs off back to Russia to sniff gas or whatever it is he does over there.

With an erratic owner like him God help Scolari (Solari ;))

The Glazers are well hated, for wrong reasons or right, but as owners I feel they
are better than him. Does anyone remember a time they said a single thing
about team choice ? Have we ever missed out on signings because the money
was not available ? When Fergie/United lose a game have they ever
complained ? They steered well clear of the Munich rememberances.

This is how it should be !!

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
carlyluvsunited said:
One of the best in his field when he was with United ...

That issue with Ronaldhino though ...

Oh dear ...

That was a faux pas of enormous size ...

Since then, he has been on a slippery slope.

Good luck to him, and to Chelsea ...

The whole place is a joke with the way
Abramobitch runs it.

He'll be there issuing directions, choosing the team, running the finances and
then ... out of the blue (no pun intended ;)) he's gone !!! He gets bored and
runs off back to Russia to sniff gas or whatever it is he does over there.

With an erratic owner like him God help Scolari (Solari ;))

The Glazers are well hated, for wrong reasons or right, but as owners I feel they
are better than him. Does anyone remember a time they said a single thing
about team choice ? Have we ever missed out on signings because the money
was not available ? When Fergie/United lose a game have they ever
complained ? They steered well clear of the Munich rememberances.

This is how it should be !!

I agree on the Glazers in regard to how they have conducted themselves.

The money issues aside, they have stayed in the background and to their credit, didn't parade around after the league and CL double. I liked that a lot.

I was ready to slam them if they had, but they didn't.

Looking at the other foreign-owned clubs, I think we've been fortunate not to have any "scandlas' and squabbling ala Anfield or owners selecting the teams and accused of cheating their employees like Chelsea.

Somehow, fate/destiny/David Gill delivered our club into the hands of owners that have a basic idea of how to conduct business with dignity. That means a lot to me and i appreciate it.

·
Proto-Hipster
46,959 Posts
ahh god i hate kenyon
and carly abramobitch is better than glazer
glazer dont allow fergie to spend in the transfer market like abramovic
if we have abramovic as our owner we would have berbatov in our side
didnt glazer turned down berbatov cuz he dont want to spend 35m on a an old player
while abramovic is ready to pay from his own pocket to get the goods to his team
i wish abramovic is our owner

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
abojodeh said:
ahh god i hate kenyon
didnt glazer turned down berbatov cuz he dont want to spend 35m on a an old player
while abramovic is ready to pay from his own pocket to get the goods to his team
abo - wtf?

1. How do you know what the Glazers have or have not allowed Fergie to do?
2. Even I don't want them to spend silly money on players. Would you really want the Glazers to spend ridiculous amount of money?
3. Abromovich is not better than the Glazers, because Abromavich has not bankrolled them, he has merely given the club interest-fee loans. That means Chelsea owe Abramovich more than 500million pounds.
- you need to be clear on this, Abo. He is technically not paying out of his own pocket, because they are not donations. The money he gives Chelsea is in form of interest-free loans.

Meaning, if he ever gets bored one days and decides to leave the club is in big trouble. Whoever takes over the club, is buying a club with 500million pounds worth of debt and chelsea are not as appeaking in terms of brand power as Man Utd.

·
Proto-Hipster
46,959 Posts
RedForceRising said:
abo - wtf?

1. How do you know what the Glazers have or have not allowed Fergie to do?
2. Even I don't want them to spend silly money on players. Would you really want the Glazers to spend ridiculous amount of money?
3. Abromovich is not better than the Glazers, because Abromavich has not bankrolled them, he has merely given the club interest-fee loans. That means Chelsea owe Abramovich more than 500million pounds.
- you need to be clear on this, Abo. He is technically not paying out of his own pocket, because they are not donations. The money he gives Chelsea is in form of interest-free loans.

Meaning, if he ever gets bored one days and decides to leave the club is in big trouble. Whoever takes over the club, is buying a club with 500million pounds worth of debt and chelsea are not as appeaking in terms of brand power as Man Utd.
ok i agree with you
but they are both evils
we need a better owner who knows the meaning of the fans
not kind of a bum who raises the ticket/merchandise prices

·
Registered
124 Posts
abojodeh said:
ahh god i hate kenyon

but abra know nuts bout soccer and he just luvs being the boss he is , commanding personality. Look at Shevchenko his one of the best! Did he appear in the cpl final ? what a waste ? and his one dogy mother..

·
Banned
15,336 Posts
RedForceRising said:
I agree on the Glazers in regard to how they have conducted themselves.

The money issues aside, they have stayed in the background and to their credit, didn't parade around after the league and CL double. I liked that a lot.

I was ready to slam them if they had, but they didn't.

Looking at the other foreign-owned clubs, I think we've been fortunate not to have any "scandlas' and squabbling ala Anfield or owners selecting the teams and accused of cheating their employees like Chelsea.

Somehow, fate/destiny/David Gill delivered our club into the hands of owners that have a basic idea of how to conduct business with dignity. That means a lot to me and i appreciate it.
Nicely said, and I agree completely with you.

The funniest thing was when Peter Kenyon had to lead Chelsea up the steps to get their losers medals (sorry, runners-up medals, :p) against his former club, who all hate him! :D

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
manutd004 said:
Nicely said, and I agree completely with you.

The funniest thing was when Peter Kenyon had to lead Chelsea up the steps to get their losers medals (sorry, runners-up medals, :p) against his former club, who all hate him! :D
That bald, shiny head of his on top of his ugly, pale, rain-soaked face, trying to look brave while leading his beaten troops up those stairs was brilliant.

His forced smile, while letting Michel platini put the runners-up medal said a lot too.

In comparison, the champions were led up the stairs by a great, elder statesman of the game, who was a member of the first ever English winners of the European Cup and politely refused to let Platini put a medal around his neck.

The difference could not have been more obvious. You cannot buy class or dignity.
Manchester United - A club with real history, class, heroes and legends.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts